Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Source Window Shows Wrong Time Code Base

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gates BradleySource Window Shows Wrong Time Code Base
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:02:06 am

Never seen this before, but when I view clips in my source window it gives me time code in base-30 increments, when my footage is all 23.98. I wouldn't have thought this at all possible, and am thoroughly confused.

In the clip you can see that the clip is 23.98 in item properties, but there above it in the source window time code indicator it reads it reads the time code at 00:00:38:28 - base-30.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Have I just been up too long?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gates BradleyRe: Source Window Shows Wrong Time Code Base
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:04:59 am

Also, I should clarify, that while this clip is a part of a multiclip (which had been collapsed), the same issue still holds true when I view the original media in the source window.

Running FCP 7.03.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:37:33 am

I still don't know why, but the issue seems to come from things I export out of After Effects.

So I export out of my AE comp and export settings are 23.98, and Final Cut recognizes it as such, except something happens in the source window everything gets screwed up. So it seems like it is, indeed, a Final Cut issue, but thought this was relevant info.

These are all either ProRes 4444 or ProRes Proxy files, for what it's worth.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:00:25 am

...further update: in the source window, every frame that ends with a 3 or an 8 is skipped. so the frame counts run [00:01; 00:02; 00:04; 00:05; 00:06; 00:07; 00:09] with the same for the frame counts in the teens and twenties. So although it's running at 24fps (23.98), it displays base-30 time code.

The problem is, this is really screwing up an XML export, as I have to migrate a sequence from final cut to premiere (long story), and it's throwing the in-points of a lot of my edits off.

Would greatly appreciate some light being shed on this conundrum. I'm having to match up my frames in the two projects by eye (no fun).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Source Window Shows Wrong Time Code Base
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:43:23 am

That sounds to p24 stuff with pull down added, or p24psf stuff (i30)
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:09:20 am

Why would it need to be pulled down if it was shot, transcoded as 24p and being edited in a 23.98p timeline?

That is to say, I don't know when or why Final Cut decided to do this. Is there a way to check pull-down settings for clips?

Ah! I found it. In the Modify>Timecode menu (a menu i heretofore in 7 years with final cut have never had reason to open) for some reason each clip was set to 30fps. Changing each one (one by one. awesome) to 24 solved the problem.

I wish I knew why it happened in the first place, but thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2011 at 11:14:33 am

Hi Gates,
I happily live in a PAL country, so I don't need to deal with the NTSC mess of time-base, but after years in the COW I have some idea about those issues.
I [Gates Bradley] "Why would it need to be pulled down if it was shot, transcoded as 24p and being edited in a 23.98p timeline?"
You haven't mentioned nothing about your workflow.

1080p24 stuff when recorded in tape is always recorded as i59.98. The same happens when you stream or broadcast p24 stuff.There is not a 1080p24 standard.
To edit that stuff as p24,you need to do an Inverse Telecine, to get rid of the repeated frames, and make sure FC interpret properly the Time-base and Field Order.
rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:09:53 pm

Yeah, apologies, I should have gone into more detail. My footage was actual all shot 720p (native) on an HPX170, so it actual only records the 24 frames it uses (as opposed to pulling it out of 60), which makes my issue all the more bizarre.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:27:32 pm

[Gates Bradley] "My footage was actual all shot 720p (native) on an HPX170, so it actual only records the 24 frames it uses (as opposed to pulling it out of 60),"
Yes.
I haven't used the HPX170, but I know it can records p24 native or Varicam like (p30/60).
In the FCP's Tools Menu, there is a "DVCPro Rate Converter" n case.
If you shot p24 native, then FCP has misinterpreted the frame rate.
rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]