Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Updating FCP from 5.14 and Appleprores

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Francisco Bech GómezUpdating FCP from 5.14 and Appleprores
by on Jul 24, 2011 at 8:11:05 pm

Hello to all,

I been using FCP 5.14 in the past , I was working with DVC pro 50 only. Now I have to edit a Red one project and a Sony F3 project

I have been away from editing and video for almost two years so I am not familiar with new formats and FCP, please give me some tips to start with all this, I guess I have to update FCP to X or 7

1. I am still working in one project in FCP 5.14, Can I open that in FCP7? if not, can I have FCP7 and 5? two icons on the desktop?

2. I want to transfering the Red raw footage to Apple prores to make an initial edit in my Imac. What do I need to do this? can I use FCP 5.14? I guess the answer is not. Should I go for PCP 7 or X? Is there anyo ther way to work with red files in HD size, Imac and FC?

3. What do I need to open the sony PMW F3 footage in FCP? it does not recognize the files. I already intalled and XD cam plug from sony but nothing changed. Maybe this is because I am still with FCP 5.14

Thanks a lot guys for yoyr help, I appreciate it very much, I need to start with all this

cheers.

cheers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Updating FCP from 5.14 and Appleprores
by on Jul 24, 2011 at 11:26:30 pm

There is no longer an upgrade path from 5.1.4 to FCP 6 or FCP 7. Since the release of FCP X the upgrade path was taken off the market, so unless you can find a version on Ebay, Apple will only sell you FCP X.

A brief look at this and the FCP X forum will have alerted you to the fact that you can't open an old project in FCP X and that it doesn't support all the export options that you will require for any job other than a web video. Without knowing what the RED job is, I wouldn't recommend FCP X.

So best option is probably CS5.5 as it is supposed to open old FCP projects. I don't know if it opens really old projects from 5.1.4. Adobe are doing a cut price for FCP users who are jumping ship. The search function at both this and the FCP X forum will provide more details on the deal. There was a recent article at the Cow about a FCP editor jumping into Premiere Pro which might be worth reading.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]