Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Green screen to infinite white screen effect

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
chris adamsGreen screen to infinite white screen effect
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 8:55:50 pm

Hello,

I have access to only a green screen and I am going for a music video infinite white screen effect. I am wondering the best way to do so. i only have access to two lights as well... i want a full body shot, is that possible if my green screen isn't seamless, it green screen paint on the wall

a video like this: at 53 second mark
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh86NMZT3dnz37Y93p

also could I do the same effect with all black like this

Thank you in advance

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Green screen to infinite white screen effect
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:41:51 pm

How good do you expect this epic to look?

I ask that because a typical production budget for something like the ones in your links is about 80-90 thousand dollars. And the reason for that price tag is that it delivers high quality and it's done right the first time.
  • They're shot in a studio with a full compliment of lights; 2 lights don't cut it. There's also a lighting director.
  • They're shot on high-quality cameras that make chroma keying highly accurate; no HDV, GoPro, DSLR or Flipcams.
  • The shoot is run by a director who works off a storyboard, and has planned the shots, who knows the effects needed, and has discussed this with a director of photography.
  • When a full-body key is required, they're shot on seamless green screens featuring even lighting.
  • And they're probably not keyed in FCP, but in a compositing application.
Where do your skills, equipment and experience fall in comparison to this run-of-the-mill, typical music video production? And I'll reiterate what I wrote earlier: how good do you expect this to look?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chris adamsRe: Green screen to infinite white screen effect
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:49:55 pm

Well I know these videos were done in the same place I am shooting at

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Alan OkeyRe: Green screen to infinite white screen effect
by on Jul 9, 2011 at 1:52:09 am

You can do this with Conduit, a nodal compositing plugin from DV Garage:

http://www.dvgarage.com/conduit-2

There's a video tutorial specifically showing how to push a green screen to white:

http://www.dvgarage.com/storage/conduit-samples/conduit2_push2white.mov

If you're looking for a simple one-button solution, you won't find it here. However, if you're willing to put in a little time to watch the tutorials and understand how the tools work, you can achieve some great results.

To reiterate Dave's point though, your results will only be as good as your production value. If your lighting sucks, even the world's best compositor won't be able to get good results.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 9, 2011 at 5:28:14 am

well I have watched many tutorials and i know how to chroma key....

I was just wondering if i was going for a full body shot would i run into some trouble with the carpet... if so would it just have to be a waist up shot?

also is that Conduit effect available in the free download or would i have to purchase it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan OkeyRe: Green screen to infinite white screen effect
by on Jul 9, 2011 at 3:08:24 pm

Even if you have used other chromakeying tools or plugins in the past, if you are unfamiliar with node-based compositing software (Shake, Nuke, etc.) then you will probably need to devote some time to learning how to use Conduit.

Conduit Suite is $199.00.

Regarding the full body shots, if you're not using a seamless background with good lighting, it's unlikely that you will achieve good results.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Green screen to infinite white screen effect
by on Jul 9, 2011 at 3:21:05 pm

That first video link was shot on a cyc wall. That is your infinite white.

You'll never light this well with 2 lights.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 9, 2011 at 3:37:32 pm

what about the other three videos, would I just chroma key the green out and put a white/ black background this would be my set up.....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Green screen to infinite white screen effect
by on Jul 9, 2011 at 3:57:27 pm

Tropp41 could be cyc or greenscreen.
Inferno is green screen.

Take heed though, good looking key's take REAL GREAT lighting and requires experience to achieve green screen work.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]