Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Susanto Widjaja2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:06:46 am

Hi everyone,

I have a stardom st8-U5 with mini-sas containing 8x wd black 2tb in raid6 connected to areca 1222x in my pcie slot

My macpro is early 2009 8 core with 8 gig ram installed running fcp studio3

i have nothing but problems ever since I upgraded to this stardom drive and I'm very much desperate for a solution. The drive is fast by itself but not when im editing in fcp...

When I first bought the drive, it was filled with 8 x 3tb hitachis and it the drive was very inconsistent. It would edit very fast in one time, and lag a few minutes later to the point where I have to restart my system to bring back the speed. The seller said that it may be the problem with the 3tb drives is not very compatible with the driver yet so we decided to do a drive swap with the mighty caviar blacks.

However, the problem persists.. It would be fine in one time and be very slow and choppy a few minutes later. It is generally fine when I'm editing in "low" quality RT but I don't go out and buy a 3000 dollars system to edit in "low" res...

When I skim through the footage in the timeline, it produces preview images very fast, but not during playback.

I'm editing AIC codec from dslr transcoded footage.

Areca support is nil.. they never replied my emails... stardom claims that the problem is not with their drive but rather with the card/fcp itself.. I somehow agree...

furthermore, I have run digital rebellion software, disc utility with no success..

ANY help will be hugely hugely appreciated.. thank you in advance

Santo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul JayRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:50:45 am

You said it yourself. Problem since stardom product.
Edit a few AIC files from internal sata drive. If this works your stardom is the problem. Call your dealer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:31:04 pm

[Paul Jay] "You said it yourself. Problem since stardom product.
Edit a few AIC files from internal sata drive. If this works your stardom is the problem. Call your dealer."

That's not actually true Paul. The test you mention above does not isolate the problem to the enclosure as you suggest; it only points to the RAID subsystem as a whole. The problem could ultimately be with the enclosure, the controller, one or more of the hard drives, the mini-SAS cable, the drivers, etc. Santo will have to systematically test every component separately and in combination to determine where the issue lies.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon SchillingRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:58:05 pm

David,

Thank you very much for your suggestions on this. Santo, we'd like to do what we can to help also. I'd again try Areca, their support should be addressing your issues. Did you just recently update your OS? If so I'd check with Areca to make sure that you have the latest drivers installed to match the OS.

The 6Gb/s ATTO R680 card, is the card validated with the ST8-U5, we know the ATTO support is excellent add to that the fact that our ST8-U5 gets RAID 6 real world performance of 830MB/s.

Please feel free to contact us if there's anything we can do on our end to grease the wheels with Areca.

Jonathan Schilling | Sales & Marketing Manager
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage by RAIDON since 2000
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 626-333-7888
jon@raidon-usa.com
http://www.stardom-usa.com

Jon Schilling COW LEADER - Stardom Storage Forum

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris GwynneRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Sep 5, 2011 at 9:39:15 am

Very confused. I'm gearing up to build a 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 like Susanto as well but between different STARDOM managers I'm getting the exact opposite info.

Jon, you say the ATTO R680 is the one to get with the ST8-U5, someone else in STARDOM told me the ATTO R680 seems to have some issues with drives and thus pointed me to R380 or Areca 1222x (though neither of those are 6Gb/s).

Similarly I'm getting conflicting info regarding WD RE4 vs Hitachi Ultrastars.

Can you or Walter please clarify?

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
CG

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter LiuRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:11:23 pm

Susanto,

Where did you get the ST8-U5 and the Card.
Please make sure the 1222X card is loaded with the latest firmware.
We also need the serial number, HDD model number and firmware version.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter LiuRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:23:24 pm

Susanto,

Where did you get the ST8-U5 and the Card.
Please make sure the 1222X card is loaded with the latest firmware.
We also need the serial number, HDD model number and firmware version.

I just discuss with Areca, you can turn off NCQ.
Go to GUI (https:localhost:81) or go to MRAID folder and launch ARCHTTP
Default user name: admin, password:0000
Then go to System configuration, then disable NCQ.

In the mean time, Areca is working on a firmware fix for this issue.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Susanto WidjajaRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:14:04 am

Thanks walter.

my areca card serial number is Y040CACDAR200360
hdd model number is WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0

firmware version : 4.7.3.0

what does ncq mean? is it safe to do so?

thanks again

santo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon SchillingRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:02:30 pm

Susanto,

I'll get this one for you as my associate, Walter, hadn't responded to you yet.

Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a technology designed to increase performance of SATA hard disks under certain conditions by allowing the individual hard disk to internally optimize the order in which received read and write commands are executed.

Not only is it safe, it's recommended to use.

Jonathan Schilling | Sales & Marketing Manager
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage by RAIDON since 2000
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 626-333-7888
jon@raidon-usa.com
http://www.stardom-usa.com

Jon Schilling COW LEADER - Stardom Storage Forum

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Susanto WidjajaRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:53:56 am

sorry for the slow reply.

I have actually been trying a lot of things with this system. I tried exchanging the actual ARECA CARD 1222x with a brand new one, re-installing fcp and also turning off NGC on the local hosts.. the problem is still there.

I have trashed all preferences, caches using digital rebellion. I start to think that the problem might come from other things inside my system that somehow create complications...

I have these two on my other pci-e slots:

- NewerTech MAXPower 6G PCIe eSATA RAID Controller card with port multiplier support

- caldigit 2x usb3 pci express card -> connected to drobo and esata dock

but again, it may not be the culprit anyway... I'm very very frustated at the moment.

At the moment I have two projects open in my fcp. one is a much bigger file containing 5 video tracks and 16 audio tracks and its playing fine. the other project only contains a rough storyboard with 1 music file (aiff) and text layers and this one keeps on dropping frame... I cannot play the text layer more than 2 seconds..

Both projects start at around the same time.. both played fine at the beginning. but now the text layer project stutters.. I have a feeling that its only a matter of time before the other project also stutters...

Any advice will be much much much appreciated.

thanks so much in advance

santo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: 2tb x 8 bay raid 6 with areca card mini-sas causing fcp problem
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:38:21 pm

[Susanto Widjaja] "I have these two on my other pci-e slots:

- NewerTech MAXPower 6G PCIe eSATA RAID Controller card with port multiplier support

- caldigit 2x usb3 pci express card -> connected to drobo and esata dock"

The Areca card almost certainly has conflicts with one or both of the other two cards. That's standard for many RAID controllers. If you take the other controller cards out of the system I'm sure your new RAID will function as expected.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]