Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Morgan SchenkTeaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 1:39:30 am

Im teaching a final cut pro class to faculty at a high school. Its a mac lab running FCP. I have a few projects for them to play around with on my external. Whats the best way to transfer all of these files onto ever computer in the lab? Should i be worried about how big some of the projects are? Is it going to take a fort night to transfer everything or is there a simple way?

Also does anyone know where i can get some stock footage for them to play with? Something professional like a TV show or independent film. I wish i had snagged some from film school. DAMN! Just so they can practice organizing there footage correctly in the browser, and then see what its like to work with a scene with multiple takes, and shots.

Im open to suggestions for anything. Its a 3 day course from 8-4. Im a little worried about filling all the time, but from what i understand they have there own projects they want to work on, and i figure that'll keep em busy, for the most part. But im planning on having lessons for the first half of the days, and then let them have at it the second half of the days while i supervise.

Day one will be transcoding, final cut preferences/usersettings, capturing, organizing media, and basic editing, then they can spend the rest of the day going through these processes with there own footage. Im worried ill be able to cover all of these lessons in like an hour then they'll get bored with the demos i brought.

Day two will be advanced editing lessons. Multicam editing, color correction, using motion, titles, effects, transitions, audio..... things of that nature, and im hoping by then they will have all there projects ready to work on and they can have at it.

Day 3 will be exporting, preparing for internet or DVD and if student have projects they want to share we can view and discuss there edits.

K.... How does this all sound to you guys. Obviously this is my first time teaching and while im confident with my final cut ability, teaching a class is another thing. Am I missing anything important? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.

Morgan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 2:38:05 am

I have to ask: are you an Apple certified trainer? Did you do the T3 training? If you feel you'll have trouble filling a three day training you probably shouldn't be doing it.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott SheriffRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 4:33:40 am

I'm amazed that you have condensed what amounts to a lifetime of work for many of us into a three day class, and are having a hard time trying to fill the third day.
Sounds like you have covered it all to me.
If I sound a bit pithy, imagine if I were to produce a few hours of classes on DVD called "How to be a High School Teacher, in three easy lessons".

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Morgan SchenkRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 5:46:43 am

Wow you guys are a big help. How bout this instead of taking a certified apple final cut pro 3 day training course for 1400 dollars, you take my class where you dont have to pay anything? Any takers? I was asked to do this by a friend and I know I can pull it off. It would be nice if i could ask questions on a community forum and get ONE sliver of constructive advice. Seriously. Can one of you answer my first question about prepping the lab at least? I REALLY didn't mean to offend you. Thats sweet you were fortunate enough to make media your career. Some of us still learning and trying to get our foot in the door. This will def be a learning experience for me, and a little help would be appreciated. If you want to turn this into a pointless thread please continue with your pithy comments. Seriously please just spare me comments on how silly i am for even trying. Im sorry about this little rant but that was straight up offensive. Is it possible for us to be constructive with this? I think we can. Share some of your knowledge you've obtained.

Lets be friends?

Morgan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 7:13:00 am

Don't teach this class. You are not doing these teachers a service by trying to impart your limited knowledge to them. They will use it as a basis for their insteuction and it will not serve them or their students well. The best thing you can do is load up the tutorial media from the Diana Weynand book and walk them through it. At least then you have a step-by-step insteuction set that covers the basics in a systematic fashion. Even then you really shouldn't do this. This is not like taking on a job to edit someone's video. Whether you screw it up or not has limited impact, this has much wider ripples that can effect a great many people's lives.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kent StippRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 5:19:25 am

WOW Ambitious you are LOL
I agree with both Tom and Scott. IF you have not done the training don't teach.
Now that I said that. IF you are confident with your FInal cut skills as you say, and you are teaching a friend how to do basics that is one thing we have all done that. But if you are doing an official class and getting some pay out of it leave it to the trained and qualified instructors, Don't you agree?

Kent Stipp
Life Begins at 155mph
Ki PRO Lens to Post
3am Studios llc.
3amstudios.org
Sharedsummitsfever.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul BelangerRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 6:51:36 am

Morgan

You should start off with a nice slow demonstration of each step
followed by the students doing their own practice multiple times.
This will gobble up time and you'll wish you had more time.

You can keep your demonstration media small. You don't need hours of footage for them to practice with.
Just five minutes maybe. With that amount you can copy over media to all the workstations relatively quick.
You can also have the students bring in their own raw footage to work with.

This is a forum that is always filled with bitter old people who never answer direct questions.

Paul

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 25, 2011 at 7:55:05 am

[Paul Belanger] "This is a forum that is always filled with bitter old people who never answer direct questions."

So whats your point?
When you don't get your question answered, or it gets answered with a snarky remark, that should be the first clue that you have crossed the line, or it's time to RTFM.

What's to be bitter about?
Someone that thinks he is qualified to teach others a skill which through his own writing he has demonstrated that he knows very little about. Oh, yeah. But he's doing it for free. Like that somehow makes it better...
Or should I be bitter because he has so little respect for the rest of us that have put in the seat time to learn the craft.

And for the record, this is a professional help forum, and I feel absolutely no obligation to help 'non-professionals' that haven't put in the effort to become a working professional. And there is a big difference between "answering a direct question", and training someone to be an editor via the forum. Even at that, I would be more that happy to answer a question. But I think answering a half dozen questions and helping create a training syllabus for someone to then use to pretend to be qualified, and teach a class with is asking a lot.

This should have gotten bounced to the basics forum where it belongs. That way it could sit and languish for days unanswered.

I'm really looking forward for the release of FCP X, and the ten-fold increase in these types of posts that will accompany it.

How's that for being a bitter old guy skippy?

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 10:21:10 pm

[Paul Belanger] "This is a forum that is always filled with bitter old people who never answer direct questions."

Humm!!! Sounds like you're the one who's bitter to me.

I guess it'll be interesting to see how many of us bitter old people come your rescue the next time you're in distress.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 25, 2011 at 10:32:42 pm

Your proving my point David and Scott. Typical Cow.

Others people gave helpful advice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 10:57:36 pm

[Paul Belanger] "Others people gave helpful advice.
"

I was actually busy helping other people when I saw your comment, which is insulting to all on this forum who unselfishly help people here 24/7/365.

Since you have exactly 79 posts over nine years, it's clear that you haven't been going out of your way to help anyone Paul. I needn't defend myself to you, because my record speaks for itself; I'm number 6 leading poster of all time on the Cow and number seven in terms of tagged posts (i.e. posts that helped), so don't aim your hostility at me, cuz I know where you live.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 25, 2011 at 11:13:51 pm

Not aimed directly at you David.
You have to agree there is way too much unhelpful clutter on here.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 25, 2011 at 11:42:32 pm

[Paul Belanger] "Not aimed directly at you David."

I knew that initially since I wasn't even involved in that thread, but there are many, many here who give unselfishly and none deserve to be insulted.

[Paul Belanger] "You have to agree there is way too much unhelpful clutter on here."

Overall, though nothing's perfect, I think this forum is one of the most informational anywhere. Given that this forum has the most traffic of any on the Cow, and that it gets questions from advanced professionals all the way down to the most rank of beginners, I think it does a pretty darned good job, and I hate to see posts that inadvertently malign all the good things that emanate from here.

Sure, everyone here gets frustrated occasionally, but that's easy considering that we see the same questions over and over and because we're constantly having to probe people to give us more information. Nonetheless, even though it's not perfect, this is still the best place on the planet to get FCP help, and it sure beats calling Apple.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt CallacRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 26, 2011 at 1:57:55 pm

[Paul Belanger] "Not aimed directly at you David.
You have to agree there is way too much unhelpful clutter on here."

You forgot to mention the part about David always being one of the first people to step up and help everyone...and also the part about how he's just a nice dude all around with a great sense of humor.

Yes there is a lot of clutter on the boards, but a lot of it comes from people being Lazy by not.

A) searching the boards for similar information.
B) even attempting basic troubleshooting when they have a problem.

Imagine if you had 10 different people asking you nearly the exact same questions in one day...and It's the same question you get asked every day by at least 10 people. That's exactly how a lot of the guys that are heavy posters on this board must feel. So before you criticize people for making "snide" remarks... maybe think about where they are coming from. Every coin has two sides.

-mattyc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on May 26, 2011 at 5:09:09 pm

[Matt Callac] "Yes there is a lot of clutter on the boards, but a lot of it comes from people being Lazy by not.

A) searching the boards for similar information.
B) even attempting basic troubleshooting when they have a problem."

Amen to that brother!
And of course not reading the manual.
Typical problem, usually with a panic type subject line in all upper case.
Poster just loaded FCP on his system, after coming from platform X. Poster has big job, many hours of footage, and said job is due tomorrow. FCP is either acting weird, or taking to long to output footage, audio is drifting out of sync or any one of handful of problems that are operator error from not reading the manual and understanding the workflow.
A lot of us "old bitter people" learned to edit before there was such a wealth of easy and convenient info on how the gear works. You learned by being taught the basics and being thrown into the gig. If you were really lucky you could go to something like CMX school, but that didn't teach you anything about the rest of the gear like big multi-bank switchers, or the DVE.
Long hours of 'trial and error', usually on your own time were the norm. No other editors were going to come in for free and show you all their tricks. If you wanted to discover them, you had to work at it.
This environment gave us some great skills, that are severely lacking in many these days.
1. The desire to read readily available technical information.
2. Troubleshooting.
3. The ability to reverse engineer what is on the screen, in order to do something similar.
4. How to gracious when someone does help you.
In my day, when you asked the teacher how to spell something, she would tell you "go look it up", and not just hand you the answer.
I think we are doing a huge disservice to many newbies for providing way too many quick and easy solutions to common basic problems. A little bit of suffering will do them some good. It builds character.
And one of the things they need to learn is to not take on big projects until they know what they are doing.
When you encourage bad behavior, you just get more of it.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2011 at 5:14:43 pm

[Matt Callac] "You forgot to mention the part about David always being one of the first people to step up and help everyone...and also the part about how he's just a nice dude all around with a great sense of humor."

Have you ever thought about a career in public relations? You're hired!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 27, 2011 at 8:12:49 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Have you ever thought about a career in public relations? You're hired!"

Actually, now that you mention it. About to go into that business. What are you planning to pay me?

-mattyc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 29, 2011 at 4:13:48 pm

[Matt Callac] "What are you planning to pay me?"

Money? You want actual money?

Hold on there just a minute Matt, we're discussing PR for film, video, TV, etc. As you know well, we're all supposed to do all this strictly for our art and our love of the game. Money is just so very capitalistic.

What about pizza, a credit, and a copy of the DVD? That seems to work on Craigslist...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 31, 2011 at 2:40:22 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Money? You want actual money?

Hold on there just a minute Matt, we're discussing PR for film, video, TV, etc. As you know well, we're all supposed to do all this strictly for our art and our love of the game. Money is just so very capitalistic.

What about pizza, a credit, and a copy of the DVD? That seems to work on Craigslist..."

Dude, I didn't say anything about money. I just said "what" will you pay me. Pizza...If that's all you can afford will work, but I'd much prefer tacos.

-mattyc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sascha EngelRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 29, 2011 at 4:07:06 pm

:-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary AskhamRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 11:24:37 am

I'm with the others.

How can you teach a class (doesn't matter if it's paid or not) when you don't seem to know the first thing about setting up a project? I've spent the last 15 years of my life learning this stuff and I still would think twice about taking on a teaching class.

I have done a little bit of film lighting in my time - short films, the odd interview. If someone asked me to do a class on film lighting I would say no. I wouldn't go on a web forum and ask how I should put the class together.

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Stephan WalfridssonRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 12:06:42 pm

[Morgan Schenk] "Obviously this is my first time teaching and while im confident with my final cut ability, teaching a class is another thing. Am I missing anything important? Any suggestions are much appreciated."

I've taught Final Cut (and Avid) editing on some occasions and the first thing I realized was that it doesn't matter how good I am at FCP (and I'm pretty darn good). The question is how experienced are your students? Do they know editing at all? And are they all at the same level?

Assuming that you will be teaching a fairly varied group of more or less beginners I can tell you that you'll have to go really slow and keep everything at a very basic level. When you start talking about selecting codecs and "using easy setup" to match their footage at least 80% of them will stare at you with a confused look, not understanding a single word of what you are saying.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to go through 25% of what you aim for if you expect them to have learnt anything. Sure you will have told them how to send to motion and back again. But for many, if not all of them, the only thing they will remember is that there was this thing you could do to enter another completely incomprehensible program to do some fancy stuff.

What you need to do is find out what level your students is at and prepare your lessons accordingly. Realizing that things will take a lot more time that you imagine. The old trick of imagining that you are teaching 5 year old children is not a bad idea.

Regarding your material, make any demo projects as streamlined and small as possible. They don't need hours worth of material. Three or four different shots that somehow belong together (like a wideshot, a medium and a closeup of the same action) is everything they'll need.

Letting them work on their own projects is a good idea as it will force them to solve real life problems and eventually they will be able to help each other out.

So, good luck. (You'll need it, trust me.)

Stephan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig AlanRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 25, 2011 at 10:07:45 pm

Here’s my guess. Correct me if I’m wrong. The school bought a bunch of Macs and a site license (hopefully) for FCP thinking that was what all it took to get teachers and, therefore, students up and running with video projects.

If they are Imacs the system drive will get corrupted unless you add external drives. If they are Mac Pros, did they buy extra internal drives? Is there enough ram?

So, Morgan, you are being asked to help some teachers get up and running. There is no way to try to cover professional level editing in three days. Have them bring in footage on tape or card if they have some. Ask them to bring in the camera that it was shot with and the power cord for the camera. Make sure to have firewire cables ready.

You’ll need an admin account. Explain to school admin that this is needed. Teach them how to set up user accounts so they can log in and their work won’t be trashed by students. Don’t do it for them. They’ll need to do this as they teach their students.

Help them log in the footage. Don’t do it for them! Show them how. If there are no media drives then limit the project to 5 minutes. Explain to the school that extra drives are needed or their investment is a waste of money.

Teach them to name and store their projects on the system drive and the media externally or on a media drive internally on a tower. Teach them to label their tapes or cards. Teach them how to back up card based footage on hard drives and how to reformat cards after they know their footage is copied in at least two places. Show them how to back up their project files on a flash drive.

Show them the four basic windows and how they interact. Show them how to: add a sequence to the timeline, set in and out points, insert and ripple, transitions and handles, use an extra track of audio so they can add music and/or a V.O., auto-color correct in 3 way, add titles and sub-titles in Boris - just very basic, adjust sound levels.

Show them how to export a self-contained QT and bring it in to compressor and then how to burn the DVD in DVD studio pro as an auto-play DVD.

This is all most classes will need for student projects. If they really want to become editors recommend the fcp certification training book or anything by Wolsky or the other teachers here on the cow. I like Wolsky’s clarity but that’s personal choice.

Leave them detailed step by step review of each of the lessons you’ve taught them. My guess is you’ll run out of time. But if a percentage of them can learn enough so their students can produce simple videos with titles, subtitles, a sound track, and adjust exposure and sound levels and get the DVD burned and/or posted on the web it will be a huge success.

As far as professional courses that charge $1500 for 3 day workshops … I highly recommend that anyone taking them have their own system and training manuals at home and study before during and after the course to keep up. You don’t learn this stuff in three days! And you forget it if you don’t practice.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Richard HerdRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 27, 2011 at 8:04:08 pm

[Morgan Schenk] "Whats the best way to transfer all of these files onto ever computer in the lab? Should i be worried about how big some of the projects are?" Firewire 800. Have each student do it, one at a time, even if it takes a lot of time. You can stress media management, and capture scratch and so on.

[Morgan Schenk] "Is it going to take a fort night to transfer everything or is there a simple way?" Since this is an example, you don't need that much footage, just a wide shot, medium shot, close up shot. Stressing this is practice for your real project.

[Morgan Schenk] "Also does anyone know where i can get some stock footage for them to play with? "Don't even worry about it. The power of learning the gist of editing is you can make your own stuff. So the more you can get them to do that, the easier time you will have.

[Morgan Schenk] "Am I missing anything important?"

You should google the state standards for video. It can be categorized as two things: (1) An art class where a set of aesthetic values are emphasized, or (2) A career and technical education where work place practices are emphasized.

You should discuss both in relevant ways. For example, on aesthetics, you can explain matching action or 180 degree rule and so on. But for work place practices you can explain "technical" details like capture scratch, render, codecs, and all the other crap the makes normal people's eyes glaze over.

Also they're going to want to cut footage as soon as possible. I mean they've heard about the digital revolution and they want to participate in it. Then they will want to do their own project and export to a medium (probably a DVD) they can show people. They might also enjoy uploading to youtube or facebook.

You will run out of time before you run out of material (whether art or tech), and your instruction should have some lecture and plenty of one on one time.

People learn in different ways, some are listeners, some are seers, some are doers. So it's wise to incorporate all three types of learning styles.

Oh and some people won't know where the on button. And other folks will complain that it's a mac. And so on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on May 29, 2011 at 4:37:46 pm

Hi Morgan,
I agree with most people around here.
Be respectful with your students and don't teach them.
You are not ready, they will just waist time.

[Paul Belanger] "You have to agree there is way too much unhelpful clutter on here."
Thanks God you come to the COW every two years to take care of this.
Thanks Paul, keep coming back.
We need you!!
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 29, 2011 at 10:07:36 pm

So many replies! I'm sure that wasn't expected by the author- to cause this kind of wave. Now, I read them all, and as usual - something I learned here in the Middle East - the truth lays in the Middle of the extremist. On one side: yes, there is sometimes, an I know it better, preaching from up to down tone in some replies, which I also had to face already. I do understand the frustration / bitterness though - but hey that's life, I met already 14 year old wiz kids, who learned in AE to composite, like I needed 8 years for to master. That's life and that is reality! Let's get used to that. But to say, that's bitterness that makes them write is a not fair attack. I am down with Raphael on that one, those people sacrifice a lot of their private time to help other people out - and they did help me many a times!!!
Coming to the teaching questions - in general I'm a learning by doing believer - rob Rodriquez style - I was never in a film school and learned all by myself. And I was teaching already as well. But I do believe, the main ingredient you need as a teacher - beside of course the knowledge about the subject u are teaching - is confidence and charisma and passion. And by the Qs u are asking and the way u do so, I am doubting those a little.
Just some thoughts from a German Goi in the Holy Land.

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Morgan SchenkRe: Teaching Final Cut class, and need to know how to set up lab.
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:39:40 am

Not that anyone cares but the class went brilliantly. Sure it was a little bumpy since ive never taught before, but my students have a well rounded understanding of FC and ive been asked to do a follow up sometime in the future.

You should be proud that you all proper psyched me out for a minute, but over all gave me the "$*&% them" attitude.

You might all say i shouldn't be teaching since im not "qualified" but F that. I am qualified. I KNOW Final Cut. DEAL WITH IT.

I do understand things from your perspective, and understand why you would all have a man cramp over this. I just wish I could of had a little support, or nothing at all..... not negativity. I seriously got attacked in just about everyway. Being insulted from lack of knowledge, to experience, inteligence all the way down to criticizing my passion for this industry. UNBE FING LIEVABLE. Next time i ask simple questions ill be sure to give as many fing technical terms i know since i obviously have to prove myself to some of you before you think im worthy of your advice.

If anyone read this thread hoping to find some useful information about teaching a FCP class, dont be discouraged. just message me. Ill help you as much as I can.

Cheers to those who offered constructive advice.

Morgan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:14:39 am

Hi Morgan,

I'm so happy to hear that. I did follow this thread very closely, since it deals with a lot of issues that interest me a lot. I'm myself a total autodidact, originally coming from dance and choreography. Over making dance films, I taught everything myself from scratch. And when I received my first prices and even got to make a short film for the international Rotterdam Film Festival, I ha to face a lot of jealousy, prejudice and criticism: the stupid dancer, trying to be a filmmaker. But exactly like you I got the F..k you all attitude. Don't forget some of the great filmmakers today made it like this. Fight for what you believe in: listen to advice, but know what to ignore. ALWAYS trust your gut feeling! Because all the tech nerds nowadays forget: editing is not a science and about gathering as much theoretical knowledge as possible, but it's and ART Form!!! I think a lot of people here are very long in the business, and they feel that people like you taking an unjustified shortcut to the road of fame. I ven do understand them, because I sometimes encounter young kids, barely 18, just bought a Mac, made a business card and now they call themselves editors. It makes me also angry since I look bakck on 13 years o experience and hard work to be where I am today. But I still think, the attacks on your where too harsh and out of proportion and showed a lot of inner anger and bitterness. That is why I am happy that you succeeded !!!!!! Congratulations and way to go!!!! When I starte dancing, people told me I was too old and beve would make it anymore- I ignored them and managed to make a quiet respectable theatre career, performing all over the globe. So, who cares what those people said ;-).
Still: don't be mad on the COW: it's an amazing forum, with great people, who do an amazing job in helping others. This site helped out o the S..t many a times! And it is - hands down- one of the best of it's kind on the Net. Morgan, both - you and the COW - are the winners here. :-) have a great day and successful continuation of your teaching career.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:43:30 am

Sorry for the many typos - wrote it on the iPhone!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]