Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

No video preview and can't capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
frank RaposoNo video preview and can't capture
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 6:21:33 pm

I was given a mini-DV tape by a client but I haven't worked with mini-DV in years. When I open the Log and Capture window, I get the "Unable to initialize video deck" warning. In my clip settings, both Video and Audio are checked and I can see the audio meters bouncing when I hit play on the camera. Under Capture Settings, I have Device Control set to FireWire NTSC and Capture/Input to DV NTSC 48 kHz.

I've tried refreshing my external devices and and setting to All Frames but all it does is turn on my iSight. I've tried capturing in Avid just to see what would happen but I get the same problem- no video preview but I can hear audio. I tried setting ins and outs in Avid but it couldn't capture either.

I've tried using a different camera but I get the same "Unable to initialize video deck" warning. I've also tried shutting down and restarting. The only other thing I can think of is that I have the camera daisy chained to a drive and not directly to my computer (Macbook Pro). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

quinnmcguee

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: No video preview and can't capture
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 7:14:13 pm

Ya, unplug the ext. FW drive. That is your prob.
Quit FCP.
Plug cam direct into Comp.
Launch FCP.
Capture.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: No video preview and can't capture
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 7:26:39 pm

[frank Raposo] " was given a mini-DV tape by a client but I haven't worked with mini-DV in years."

Have you considered that the client may have given you a tape that is in fact HDV, not DV?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: No video preview and can't capture
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 7:30:58 pm

[frank Raposo] "I've tried refreshing my external devices and and setting to All Frames but all it does is turn on my iSight. "
Nothing about external monitoring. L&capture uses his own window.
[frank Raposo] "I've tried using a different camera but I get the same "Unable to initialize video deck" warning."
With the camera plugged (and L&Capture closed), DUPLICATE the capture Preset you are using, and click EDIT. FC should recognize your desk now. The model should appear in "Input".
If its works select this preset and try again.

[Chris Tompkins] "Ya, unplug the ext. FW drive."
We have been doing this for ages; unless the HD was too full or so, daisychain shouldn't be a problem.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: No video preview and can't capture
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:27:04 pm

When I've tried to FW capture while using a FW drive I have had this very same issue. Removed the FW drive and the problem went away.
Please try it.

HDV is a good thought too.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]