Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Simon UbsdellHas anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:41:04 pm

... and found they got no response?

I've applied for the super-duper ultra low-price Media Composer-forFCP users offer, entered my FCS serial number, etc. and although it says my application was successful there's no accompanying email enabling me to make the purchase. Does it take time to come through? Is it not automated?

Anyone tried this and knows the routine could you please advise? Thanks.

And no, I'm not forsaking FCP just yet - I happen to be able to take advantage of this offer for an upcoming job that needs MC and will more than pay for it at this price!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CooperRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:59:43 pm

I have tried it but I couldn't get it to take my FCP serial.... and yes it is a valid serial, all the way back to the original Studio. (actually all the way back to FCP 2 (not studio) I tried all of them but no go. need to get in touch with them personally and see what is up... maybe it is not supposed to take the dashes? (-)
Did you have any trouble with this?

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon UbsdellRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:41:56 am

It accepted my serial number OK - I gave it the FCS3 upgrade number rather than my original one and that worked for me. It then said that the application had been successful and to stand by for an email. I'd imagined this would be automated, but if not it might be that I did this yesterday (Friday) and it requires human intervention so nothing will happen till next week. At least that's what I'm hoping. I don't fancy having to battle it out with AVID to try and get any sense out of them!

Good luck with yours!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:00:55 am

Mine came through straight away Simon.

Subject : Upgrade Code

... check your junk mail folder just in case it ended up there.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:13:18 am

Thanks, Andy - that's exactly what happened. Found it now!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2011 at 1:24:51 pm

But typically, the check-out page doesn't accept any of my three valid Visa cards! Looks like I'll have to download the demo version and wait to try and talk to a human being who can sort it out - timewasting that I just don't need right now..

The AVID website is and always has been a joke - unless I've always been extremely unlucky, which I suppose is possible. I've been using Media Composer and assorted AVID products (including ProTools of course, and way back when the much-lamented Audiovision) pretty much since their inception and their whole idea of an appropriate client interface is still as bad as it ever was. You'd have thought with the competition hotting up all the time, they'd put a bit of effort into their support operation ... I've just remembered why I really love Apple for all its faults!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2011 at 3:05:04 pm

Oh and I forgot to add, that here in the UK (at least and probably elsewhere outside the US) the offer is not available for download and only as a shippable box which comes at a 30% premium, so the actual price is nowhere near the advertised $999. So amazingly typical of AVID to come up with a cheap scam like that!

Still you gotta love their chutzpah.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:00:50 am

[Simon Ubsdell] " I'd imagined this would be automated, but if not it might be that I did this yesterday (Friday) and it requires human intervention so nothing will happen till next week. At least that's what I'm hoping. I don't fancy having to battle it out with AVID to try and get any sense out of them!"

I'm sure it takes human intervention for this offer to go through. We haven't tried it yet as we're waiting for Avid to support the AJA Kona boards.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben HolmesRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 4:33:14 pm

Good luck with that. I notice AVID have so far only announced support for boxes using embedded audio - so no PRO-IO, or anything other than HDSDI. Seems to me that's so they don't hurt sales of their own (more expensive) Nitris boxes. Also, MC with Nitris offers considerably faster encoding for output than a software only solution (our own broadcast testing shows 40 x real time encoding for our tapeless system on export, and nothing like that with software only.

I don't know how I feel about using an AVID hardware system that's not optimised for the software - I think I'd rather just buy some HP workstations and Nitris DX boxes and be done with it...

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marianna MontagueRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 25, 2011 at 1:27:01 pm

Hi Richard,

If you are having trouble - or if anyone is having trouble with the online form on avid.com to upgrade - email me off forum at marianna.montague@avid.com and I can assist you.

Note that once you are able to enter the form info and submit, and it isverified, you receive a coupon code good for use on the Avid Store. If you want to buy face to face - then an Avid reseller or VideoGuys can also help.

marianna

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2011 at 6:39:58 pm

Have downloaded the trial version for now and spent the afternoon setting it up and getting back into the swing of Media Composer after a few months not using it at all ...

... and came to the realization of what insanely good value you get from Apple with FCP!!!!!

Conversely for $999 spent with AVID (or considerably more in the case of us non-US citizens, as I've already mentioned), you get a really, really bog-standard NLE with precious little in the way of extras - and the world's most shockingly awful colour corrector! And don't talk to me about the i/o limitations!

When people do the AVID/FCP comparison, they are always comparing the top of the range AVID spec with all the expensive extras. The software only version doesn't begin to compare with the functionality of FCP - at many times the price! When you factor in the full FCS suite, the disparity becomes absolutely vast.

And it's a loss less fun to cut on!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 8:26:27 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "When people do the AVID/FCP comparison, they are always comparing the top of the range AVID spec with all the expensive extras. The software only version doesn't begin to compare with the functionality of FCP - at many times the price! When you factor in the full FCS suite, the disparity becomes absolutely vast."

The NLE you prefer is an entirely subjective choice. Just to be clear, there is no feature difference between the software version of Media Composer and a turnkey Media Composer Nitris DX, except for the addition of the Avid hardware. If you go one level up to Symphony, you get more advanced color correction tools, but the editor is the same. Although I would agree that Apple Color is a better color grading tool, both the Media Composer and Symphony versions include color matching - you know that "automatic" feature Apple touted for FCX at the SuperMeet? Not new at all ;-)

In the US, there is a difference in the boxed set versus the download, as to whether or not the Production Studio tools are included. The retail boxed set does include them, which adds more 3rd party effects and authoring tools, including Boris FX's BCC filters, Avid FX (which is Boris Red), Sorenson Squeeze, Smart Sound and Avid DVD. FWIW - these are all cross-platform, except for Avid DVD (Windows only). As a package, this would be comparable to FC Studio, although not every tool has a direct equivalent.

Additional paid Avid software options include: PhraseFind (like AV3 Get) and ScriptSync (unique to Avid). These cost extra because they involve licensed software from Nexidia for the dialogue search engines used in this technology.

Cheers,
Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil SadwelkarRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:55:59 am

I filled out my FCS 3 serial and got the upgrade code as an email.
When I went to the Avid store and filled in the upgrade code, I got no discount.

When I went to the US store, I manage to get the discount only on a shippable box. But I could not checkout as the shipping address needed to be in the US and my card and address are in India.

I managed to get a reseller in India to take my FCS number and give me a discounted copy of Avid...
For the equivalent of US$ 1501. Blame it on local duties and taxes I guess.

However, according to him, the terms are

"with the order we require your  Final Cut Pro proof of ownership - install guide including serial number which is mandatory to send it to AVID with the order"

Nowhere in the FAQ do they say we need to send the FCP serial physically to Avid.
But the FAQ does say that it's OK to have Avid MC and FCP run in the same system.

I don't believe that Avid wants you to buy a Media Composer and simultaneously stop using FCP. So I've refused to hand over my licences physically to Avid. I've submitted photographs of the box and serial number and a screenshot of the splash screen. And the reseller visited my facility and saw the system.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary BettanRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on May 2, 2011 at 12:15:07 am

We are selling the $995 crossgrade offer. You get the full version with all 3rd party software.

All we require is you fill out a form and give us your FCP serial number and a copy of the manual. You keep your FCP and you can keep using it, along with your new MC5.5 software.

You can click here for more details

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil SadwelkarRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on May 2, 2011 at 2:59:34 am

Gary,

The offer, on Avid's web site is good only for those in the US. Or those who have US credit cards, at least. International customers have to get it from their local resellers only. Like I did, mine.

Is the Videoguys offer good for those outside the US? Will you ship anywhere? Alternately, will you offer the downloadable version, so shipping is avoided altogether.

Maybe this needs to be in the FAQ clearly. Tens of thousands of readers of these forums are outside the US.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary BettanRe: Has anyone tried the AVID offer ...
by on May 2, 2011 at 12:54:08 pm

yes we can ship outside the US, to most countries. The download is only available from Avid.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]