Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Field Order for a PAL DVD project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David MayField Order for a PAL DVD project
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 7:08:34 am

Hi all

So there is a lot of information floating around about field order and the correct settings to use on this forum, but unfortunately im still coming up empty with regards to sending a project to compressor.

I have a 3.5 hour project that I want to render out as a quicktime file from fcp, compress into mpeg2 in compressor and put onto a dual layer dvd in DVDSP. Because the project is so long i cant really make any mistakes here seeing as time is of the essence.

My sequence setting is ProRes 422 1920x1080 25p, with the field order set to 'none'. I read somewhere that this was the best bet, am now wondering if i should have left it as 'lower'. Should my field order settings be different so that my dvd will play fine on both a tv and a computer?
I think ill cry if i discover my field order was wrong and i have terrible interlacing lines.

With that sorted, do you think that If i was to export this project as a self contained quicktime file using 'current settings', will there be any issues with encoding it onto a PAL DVD once ive used compressor to get it into MPEG2?
Ive got a lot of info about the best settings to use in compressor to get all that video onto 1 dvd so no so worried about that.

As always, the help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Field Order for a PAL DVD project
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 9:04:38 am

The correct settings for PAL SD is interlaced and upper field for all codecs except DV. So if you have DV material in a ProRes422 SD sequence, set field order to upper and the shift fields filter on all the DV footage.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

David MayRe: Field Order for a PAL DVD project
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 9:39:00 am

Thanks for the advice

none of the footage is SD though, most of it comes straight of a 5d MKII and is conformed to Prores.

Ill be making it SD once I run it through compressor, just wanted to know that if I leave the field order on the project as none, wont have any issues when I turn it into MPEG2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Field Order for a PAL DVD project
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 9:47:12 am

[David May] "most of it comes straight of a 5d MKII "
Then you should have edited on a Progressive sequence, and deinterlacing the interlaced footage only.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David MayRe: Field Order for a PAL DVD project
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:48:22 pm

Thanks for the help!

All turned out very well

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook