Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

How to: AAF/OMF into FCP (skipping Automatic Duck..)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Pawel GardynikHow to: AAF/OMF into FCP (skipping Automatic Duck..)
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 9:12:24 pm

Hi there,

I'm editor's assitant, sort of.. We're dealing with a project that's be a bit of hell. We've been provided with sound as AAF files (exported from Nuendo) and now trying to get these somehow to FCP. Since the film is being re-edited there's no way to get original files (WAVes or anything) - no one would store such files once film's finished of course (and it's been finished for some time now). I know the simplest way would be to use Automatic Duck but it's a bit expensive one. I mean, frankly, we can't afford it right now. Is there any workaround that would do? Maybe Avid or anything..

I was wondering - even if I have someone import the AAFs into FCP with Automatic Duck would it work back on my computer? What the Duck exactly does? Would I need it to be installed all the time or it can just convert somehow AAF (or OMF as I can have it through ProTools) to FCP project that I could use as such without the program?

What can I say.. I'm desperate. PLEASE HELP

Thanks in advance
Pawel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: How to: AAF/OMF into FCP (skipping Automatic Duck..)
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 9:51:28 pm

There's a BORIS AAF Importer for FCP... but I can't attest to how good it is.

http://www.borisfx.com/AAF/

I use Automatic Duck... just plain works and works well.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: How to: AAF/OMF into FCP (skipping Automatic Duck..)
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:13:48 pm

I spent a frustrating day once trying to use Sound Track pro to import an AAF/OMF and then send to FCP. CS5 apparently can import AAF and export an XML that FCP may be able to read. I can't see how AVID can help as they don't export anything that FCP can read, unless the latest version has compatible XML. All that said, like Shane, Automatic Duck is what I use to manage AAFs. In future, make sure you get stem mixes as wav or aif files.

If you find someone locally with Automatic Duck, they can import and save as a standard FCP project file so you could then transfer that project and media to your computer providing your software is the same or later than theirs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pawel GardynikRe: How to: AAF/OMF into FCP (skipping Automatic Duck..)
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:16:22 pm

Thank You both! I hope Boris will do the job. I've just watched the tutorial video and it seems to be the solution, especially that they offer trial version.. I guess these 14 days are enough to get it done. And it's good news about Automatic Duck too, I was afraid it'd only work if I had it installed.
As for CS5 - honestly, I completely forgot about Premiere, however I still have mere CS4 so I gues it wouldn't do any good.

Thanks once again!
Pawel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pawel GardynikRe: How to: AAF/OMF into FCP (skipping Automatic Duck..)
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:45:15 pm

Update: Boris works!! :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]