Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

3D Workflow - Panasonic AG-3DA1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dustin Parsons3D Workflow - Panasonic AG-3DA1
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 11:46:35 pm

I'm trying to get an idea of the workflow (and ultimately costs) associated with shooting/editing 3D footage using Panasonic's AG-3DA1 and FCP. The final output will be for web viewing – here's what I have so far for a bare bones package, please let me know if I'm forgetting anything.

Shooting:
Panasonic AG-3DA1
• 2x SD Memory Cards

Capture:
• SD Memory Card Reader
• Do I need an AJA Kona 3 video card or will my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT work?

Transcoding:
Neo3D/Remaster to transcode files to .MTS
Neo3D/First Light to transcode files from .MTS to .MOV

Editing:
• Final Cut Studio 3
• Stereo3D Toolbox plugin from Dashwood

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: 3D Workflow - Panasonic AG-3DA1
by on Mar 5, 2011 at 1:17:02 am

3D for the WEB? Uh...that's not gonna happen. You need special monitors/TVs to play this stuff back. You don't just make a 3D show and have it play back on a regular HDTV...the viewer MUST have a 3D TV. Now 3D computer screens? Never heard of such a thing.

I don't think 3D web videos are possible.

[Dustin Parsons] "• Do I need an AJA Kona 3 video card or will my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT work?"

You need the latest AJA Kona 3D, or Decklink Extreme 3D cards, and actual 3D televisions in order to view 3D. But I think the brakes were applied when you said "for the web..."

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dustin ParsonsRe: 3D Workflow - Panasonic AG-3DA1
by on Mar 5, 2011 at 2:53:42 am

If you watch this video on youtube.com you can choose which blending mode to view it in (like Red/Cyan). Wouldn't that be 3D?

Thanks for the info about the video cards! Very helpful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: 3D Workflow - Panasonic AG-3DA1
by on Mar 5, 2011 at 3:20:17 am

It's scary to think, but Youtube does have a 3D channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/3D

I hosted a seminar on the 3DA1 and the AF100 last week with Bernie Mitchell.

According to Bernie, there are a few ways of viewing the final product. Dashwood can render out an anaglyph. You can burn that to a standard DVD and view it on any normal tv using cardboard blue/red glasses.

The second way is to create Blu Ray dvd (you still need to export left eye and right eye from Dashwood) or create a Blu Ray image and play it from any Blu Ray player (3D not necessary). You do need to connect to 3D TV in order to see it in3D.

It is still fairly costly if you want to shoot, edit and deliver 3D the correct way.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas KielRe: 3D Workflow - Panasonic AG-3DA1
by on Mar 5, 2011 at 9:22:20 am

> Now 3D computer screens? Never heard of such a thing
They are available,
In the old days of 3D there were glass screens available which could be attached to any computer monitor (as long the size somehow matched). Cabling was a through from the graphics card to the glass screen's adapter and from there to the monitor. You needed 'stacked' movies or pictures and the polarized glasses. Was pretty cool.
Nowadays it should be easy as you finally don't need 3D to edit 3D. If you are using a 3D cam the focus distance is fixed once you hit the record key (or might be changed during recording). Thing is that you can't change it any more in Post. Same thing with dual cam rigs.
With dual cams you might to have match sync and/or color first. Once you have done just edit right or left eye. When done match edits, effects and colors to the other eye (with FCP this can be done easily via XML) and export the streams or create one of the needed formats.
Interleaved 3D does halve the resolution - so you may wait for UHDTV :)

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Morten SchmidtRe: 3D Workflow - Panasonic AG-3DA1
by on Mar 31, 2011 at 8:02:39 pm

dont know if you where just jokeing, but I just had this one today, is looks like a 3D computer monitor, or?
http://www.acer.dk/ac/da/DK/content/model/ET.UH4HE.005

MacPro 4.1 16GB Ram, 4x1TB drive BD-burner IOHD 2x30" Apple Display and lots of stuff..
Apple Rocks !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary AskhamRe: 3D Workflow - Panasonic AG-3DA1
by on Mar 5, 2011 at 3:31:16 am

I use FCP, a Kona Lhi and a 3D TV.

And we already had the FCP and Kona so the only extra cost was the TV.

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]