Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Blackmagic Intensity Pro + Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jackson Van OVerBlackmagic Intensity Pro + Final Cut
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:11:48 pm

Hey there,

I recently bought Final Cut Express to increase my options when editing videos for YouTube. I captured all my videos with a Hauppauge HDPVR and Elgato EyeTV3, then edited in iMovie. Now that I have Final Cut, I've come across the conflict with H.264 and Final Cut, and I know I can use MPEG Streamclip to convert the video, but I really don't have the time to wait around for that to happen.

My main question is, if I don't want to deal with the insanely long conversion times, should I look into purchasing a Blackmagic Intensity Pro? If so, how does this work? I've seen pictures on the internet, and it looks like it has to go inside my computer. I'm not the most computer tech savvy when it comes to taking apart my Mac. Also, on their website, Blackmagic boasts that it works well with Final Cut, so would getting the Intensity Pro alleviate the annoying step of converting my H.264 into Apple Intermediate Codec just to edit it in Final Cut?

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Blackmagic Intensity Pro + Final Cut
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:00:09 am

[Jackson Van OVer] " I know I can use MPEG Streamclip to convert the video, but I really don't have the time to wait around for that to happen."

You have tight deadlines? You need to turnaround an edit THAT fast?

Sorry, FCP is an edit system that doesn't just edit any old format you want to throw at it. If you want that you need Adobe Premiere. FCP needs the footage to be in an editing codec, one that FCP uses, in order to edit it properly. DOn't have time to convert? Then get the application that allows you to do what you want. Premiere.

[Jackson Van OVer] "if I don't want to deal with the insanely long conversion times, should I look into purchasing a Blackmagic Intensity Pro? "

No...it won't help at all in this situation. It is a capture card, meant for dealing with video signals going into FCP from decks or cameras, or out from FCP to monitors or decks. It does NOTHING for footage that is already captured...and less than nothing with footage not designed to work in FCP.

[Jackson Van OVer] "o would getting the Intensity Pro alleviate the annoying step of converting my H.264 into Apple Intermediate Codec just to edit it in Final Cut?"

Nope. Welcome to the world of post production, where there are many video formats out there, but most of them are not editable. But apps like Sony Vegas and Premiere do better at this.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]