Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

importing .mts files into FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Brent Stanleyimporting .mts files into FCP 7
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:24:47 pm

I searched the forums to see if this had been covered, and only found advice on bringing in footage into FCP 6.

Here's my situation. We're using a Nano flash recorder for most of our footage, but up until a few days ago, our third camera wideshot was HD footage captured in by firewire. That camera has died. So we're in the market for another.

Our camera person wants us to go with a SONY camera that records AVCHD files. (.mts) He gave me some files on a hard drive, to check if Final Cut plays nicely with them.

If I try to import these files, they come up as unrecognized.

So, I googled, and came up with some info that I found a bit confusing. One seemed to suggest that if we are running FCP 7 with Snow Leopard, that the files will be recognized. We are currently running OSX 10.5.8

The other suggested downloading either a pay or free version of 'Aimersoft's' MTS converter.

So I thought I'd appeal to the wisdom of the people here. Are we better to upgrade to Snow Leopard? Go with the pay transcoder? Free one? Some combo of these? If one solution is more expensive but doesn't require rendering delays, we'd go with that.

We have been using MPEG Streamclip to convert files, but it doesn't recognize .mts files.

Thanks in advance!

Brent

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:34:42 pm

You use LOG AND TRANSFER for AVCHD...it transcodes them to a QuickTime editing format. Here's a tutorial:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brent StanleyRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:56:30 pm

Thanks gentlemen. I'll give that a go.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jean Philippe StuartRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 5:54:24 pm

Hi Shane,

I tried to watch your podcast: FCP: Tapeless Workflow with Final Cut Pro 7 by Shane Ross - 10/20/2010 but I get an URL error. My side? The podcast is down?

Question about MTS & FCP:
Steps when I work:
I videotape with Sony NX70 on a SDHC card.
SDHC card into my Mac: No Name
NO NAME: folder AVF_INFO, folder PRIVATE
In PRIVATE: AVCHD folder, SONY folder
in AVCHD: BDMV folder:
in BDMV: STREAM folder with .MTS files

How can I upload .MTS files to FCP without converting them first to Apple ProRes 422 HQ with ClipWrap?
Did FCP made an upgrade to include MTS files?
Someone in the Forum said to upload AVCHD to FCP. Well, there's no AVCHD file. The above steps show only .MTS files can be uploaded. Correct?

Will you please help? Thank you

JP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:10:20 pm

This link doesn't work?

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Try a different Browser if you must.

[jean Philippe Stuart] "How can I upload .MTS files to FCP without converting them first to Apple ProRes 422 HQ with ClipWrap?"

You can't. FCP doesn't work with those files natively. If you want something that works with them natively, get Adobe Premiere. FCP needs to Log and Transfer them to ProRes, or use ClipWrap to convert to ProRes before it will work with them.

[jean Philippe Stuart] "Did FCP made an upgrade to include MTS files?"

FCP-X might access the files, but it will also want to convert them before editing.

[jean Philippe Stuart] "Someone in the Forum said to upload AVCHD to FCP. Well, there's no AVCHD file. The above steps show only .MTS files can be uploaded. Correct?"

I'm not sure what they mean, but the only way to get AVCHD footage into FCP is via log and transfer, or Clipwrap2. Log and Capture requires the FULL card structure be intact. And you need to choose the TOP LEVEL of that...choose the NO NAME when you look for files with Log and Transfer. Don't go digging deep into the file structure, or FCP won't do it. You gotta watch the video.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher TargiaRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on May 29, 2012 at 2:05:39 pm

So what do you do if you don't have the structure, someone just sent me a bunch of .MTS files and expected me to be able to open them. I can only view them with VLC, which doesn't help me use them in FCP.

================================================
MacPro Octo Core Intel Xenon 2.8Ghz 10GB DDR2 Ram
FCP 7.0.3
-I highly recommend el Gato Turbo264HD-

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 29, 2012 at 2:09:21 pm

Then look at Clipwrap 2 by divergentmedia.com

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 1:21:00 pm

Is there a way to do it for free?

FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 1:37:43 pm

Not that I know of. MPEG Streamclip doesn't work with this format.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 6:04:33 pm

Okay thanks, I asked these people to please resend me the files including all the folders and file structure so I could read it. They then sent me the all the rest of the files on the camera, ie .CPI, .MPL, etc. and no folders... ::facepalm:: I may end up needing to purchase this.

FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bobby HallRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 4:39:27 am

Shane,
Regarding your tutorial video, do you only need to backup all the folders and files on a memory card if you want to log and transfer the MTS files in FCP?
I'm able to import MTS files in Pavtube iMedia Converter and convert them to ProRes. With this method, I have no need for all the other folders and files on the card, right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 5:00:18 pm

Hi Bobby,

I don't really see any advantage to copying only the mts files, yet there are many potential downfalls to doing so. Just copy the entire card, with all of its folder structure, every time. Making this your standard procedure will undoubtedly save you some skin sooner or later.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:52:04 pm

What David said. There is no advantage to only grabbing the .mts files, the full card structure doesn't take up that much more space. And some of the current NLEs need the full card structure in order to work. Who knows when PAVTUBE will no longer be made, or when an NLE that does work with those files natively no longer is made.

Do what you want, but my advice is to back up everything, because you don't really know what files are important, and what files aren't.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 14, 2013 at 6:29:59 am

Good advice Shane. Thanks. I did what you suggested. :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nina ChernikRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 2:26:49 pm

My question is about converting .mts files from 25p to 24p. Should I do this before I bring them into FCP 7 or after? I know I can batch convert .mts into Prores in FCP, but I'm not sure about the best timing re: frame rate conform.
I need to blend these files with 24p footage from a Canon 7D. Final output will be 24p. Also, should I do this in compressor? Or?
Thanks for your help,
Nina

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:27:14 pm

[Nina Chernik] "My question is about converting .mts files from 25p to 24p. Should I do this before I bring them into FCP 7 or after?"

You can't do it before, so you'll have to do it after. The best way to do this is get the nattress.com plugin STANDARDS CONVERTER. This allows you to use 25fps in a 24fps project. Or, you use Cinema Tools to CONFORM the footage after you use FCP to convert it to ProRes. Mind you, this will make the footage play back slightly slower...because you are taking all 25 frames but playing them back at 24fps.

[Nina Chernik] "Also, should I do this in compressor? Or?"

Not sure what more Compressor will get you than just using 25fps in a 24fps sequence. The only difference is one frame, so one frame will be dropped per second. You can test and see...I've always used the Nattress plugin.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:36:18 pm

Use 'log & transfer' in Final Cut to convert the files to something edit-friendly, like ProRes. Shane Ross has a nice tutorial on the process.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 14, 2013 at 6:56:27 am

I made two long recordings on my camera and when I look at the files on my card, it lists several mts files, meaning it broke them up into chunks. What's the best way to merge them together so they play seamlessly? Is ClipWrap the best for that?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 14, 2013 at 11:29:26 am

[Bobby Hall] "What's the best way to merge them together so they play seamlessly?"

Log and Transfer in FCP.

[Bobby Hall] "Is ClipWrap the best for that?"

No..Clipwrap won't span.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilliamsRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 6:08:33 am

Brent I was/am in the same boat as you. I have always been a PC guy and got a Snow Leopard machine JUST for FCP. I am shocked that you have to transcode consumer camera footage. My Sony shoot AVCHD .MTS files as well.

Sony Vegas Pro and Premiere Pro CS5 both handle it without transcoding and taking up hard drive real estate. And if you have a video card with CUDA cores (Nvidia), Premiere uses the GPU of that card to speed rendering and previews tremendously!

I am very disappointed after all the hype I was fed about FCP :)

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Naiche LujanRe: importing .mts files into FCP 7
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:51:27 pm

Tim,
Yes, you should always take hype with a grain of salt. There is no magic bullet to all of life's problems and I don't think FCP claims to solve all of life's problems. IMO, it's kind of silly to judge an editing system solely on whether or not it can process a particular codec. If you had researched FCP, you would have found out that it doesn't deal directly with AVCHD, but requires transcoding. Eventually, if AVCHD becomes popular enough with the FCP user base (squeaky wheel gets the grease) I'm sure it will be included in future releases. Until then, we all have to transcode. There are plenty of other reasons that people like FCP and ways that it makes life easy.

That said, I'm annoyed that we can't handle these files as easily as other codecs on Mac, and hope that this "issue" is resolved sooner than later. I just got a GH2 and I'm having some issues too.

Best,
Naiche

Naiche

Mac Pro
Dual 2.8Ghz Quad-Core
16GB RAM
ATI Radeon 256MB
320GB 7200rpm
3TB 7200rpm Internal Software RAID0
Blackmagic Studio Card (working good so far)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]