Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

M Audio Fast Track Vs. Apogee Ensemble

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bert DelgadoM Audio Fast Track Vs. Apogee Ensemble
by on Dec 13, 2010 at 4:33:46 pm

Hello,

I am learning Surround Sound.

I am at a point where it is my understanding that one of the following items should be purchased in order to listen to the six tracks in Final Cut Pro 7 and related software.

1-. Apogee Ensemble Audio Interface for $1,995.00

OR

2-. M Audio Fast Track for $350.00

It is my understanding that I would need one of the two to monitor the surround sound location while editing.

For sure I would prefer the $350 against the $1,995.00

Are there any known problems with the "M Audio Fast Track" and Final Cut Pro 7 and its related software?

Yes, I understand that "you get what you pay for," but my need is for only listening to sound location and nothing else, and my piggy bank would like to keep as much of my money as possible.

Thanks for the info.

Bert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: M Audio Fast Track Vs. Apogee Ensemble
by on Dec 13, 2010 at 7:36:25 pm

Neither of those is designed to interface with Final Cut Pro. They talk about ProTools, Logic or Garage Band compatibility but I don't not know if FCP can route multi channel audio via either of these boxes.

MOTU makes an interface for FCP that can handle both picture and multi channel sound. http://www.motu.com/video . If you want to experiment with devices that are not designed for FCP, then bear in mind that they may not sync with your pictures even if they work. Also bear in mind that FCP cannot do surround panning, just direct routing of channels.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 13, 2010 at 7:45:43 pm

After a bit of Goggling, the Apogee says it will work with any Mac Core Audio software including Final Cut. The MOTU Express will also and it has 8 channel analog monitoring. For around $450 it looks like a better bet.

The Apogee is overkill for just monitoring.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bert DelgadoRe: M Audio Fast Track Vs. Apogee Ensemble
by on Dec 14, 2010 at 12:56:22 am

Thanks for the info.

Somehow I thought that the Apogee was an overkill for simply listening to audio tracks.

For what I want to do, your suggestions is much better priced.

Thanks for saving me money and have a GREAT Xmas.

Bert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 14, 2010 at 1:46:43 am

[Bert Delgado] "For what I want to do, your suggestions is much better priced."

The only thing I can't be sure of is how well the MOTU gear works. I know it has a good reputation in the audio business, but I have never heard any feedback from video people using this gear.

Do you have any other interfaces like Kona, Decklink or Matrox as the MOTU may not like being a second device to any of those. If you have no other I/O devices then the MOTU will be very handy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]