Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

64 gig of RAM

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mark wilson64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 2:51:33 am

Anyone added the 64 gig of OWC RAM to there MacPro? if so did it help the performance in FCP? or is it overkill with no added performance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:03:30 am

FCP can only access 4 gigs RAM so nothing to gain with 64. Other programs might do better and who knows what the next version of FCP can access.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:12:17 am

If you use Motion, AE or the Premiere Pro CS5 you will gain a lot with this much memory.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mark wilsonRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:24:03 am

I have to remind myself why i purchased FCP over Premiere Pro CS5 (Just kidding) Apple needs to step up to the plate and make some changes. No CUDA support, memory support or real time editing card support.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:33:30 am

It will (most likely) in the next release. I have both and all I need to do is launch PP and I know why I use FCP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

David Roth WeissRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 5:55:45 am

When and if the 64-bit version of FCP is ever released there will be no such thing as too much RAM. So, your investment in 64Gb may not be a total waste, but it couldn't hurt to be patient for a while longer as prices can only continue to drop.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas Morter-LaingRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 8:09:01 am

Also aren't some plugins 64bit? So will be useful for those?

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:19:28 am

Don't invest in something that you don't need.
Buy 32Gb , and when needed, you will pay less for the next 32Gbs.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:02:24 pm

I live in Las Vegas and we cut spots for the hotel shows. We use multiple layers of graphic effects (you know all that stuff that blinds you on the video billboards when you’re driving down the strip at night), sometimes 10 layers of HD video footage and 16 tracks of audio with effects.

My boss wants to move from FCP to Premiere Pro CS5 to increase turn around time and bring clients in during editing for real time viewing. A consultant convinced him we needed to switch platforms. My boss thinks we spend too much time converting footage to ProRes to accommodate FCP.

Consultants’ recommendation:

Mac Pro 8 core - 4 - Internal Hard Drives
64 gig OCW RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4800 for Mac
Two G-Tech es Pro 8 TB raid drive
Matrox MX02 LE w/MAX
Adobe Master Collection CS5

What are the Pros and Cons of this system? I’m just an editor not a system designer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:09:18 pm

Also there is no support for CS5 for Mac from Matrox on the MX02 yet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:17:28 pm

Like you, I'm not a system designer. However, I'm pretty sure that Premiere's Mercury playback engine utilizes both the graphics card AND the computer's cores. Thus getting a 12-core machine might be more to your liking.

Don't attempt to put this system together yourself! Your boss needs to spring for someone who KNOWS how to put systems together: a value-added-reseller (VAR).

I hope your boss doesn't expect instant miracles. If he does, he will be greatly disappointed. He should know this.

Not all NLEs work the same, they each have their strengths, weaknesses and quirks, and you'll have to learn a whole new batch of them in Premiere. You'll also have to wrap your head around a different software developer's workflow philosophy within the application.

How do you minimize that period containing an inevitable drop in productivity as you learn the new software? Have the boss send you off to school. Ha! Failing that, get the best training material out there; my current favorites come from Total Training. They're the priciest, but they're also the best.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis RadekeRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 6:58:03 pm

[Dave LaRonde] " However, I'm pretty sure that Premiere's Mercury playback engine utilizes both the graphics card AND the computer's cores. Thus getting a 12-core machine might be more to your liking"

This is correct.

[Dave LaRonde] "Don't attempt to put this system together yourself! Your boss needs to spring for someone who KNOWS how to put systems together: a value-added-reseller (VAR)."

This I also agree with. While you can get a Mac or PC straight from the source, paying extra to get KNOWLEDGE is valuable to many people - especially those who've tried it the other way before.

[Dave LaRonde] "Not all NLEs work the same, they each have their strengths, weaknesses and quirks, and you'll have to learn a whole new batch of them in Premiere. You'll also have to wrap your head around a different software developer's workflow philosophy within the application."

No argument there. NLE's are alike in many ways so many things will translate, but not all. Be prepared to spend time learning whatever you switch to...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis RadekeRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 7:03:40 pm

[mark wilson] "Mac Pro 8 core - 4 - Internal Hard Drives
64 gig OCW RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4800 for Mac
Two G-Tech es Pro 8 TB raid drive
Matrox MX02 LE w/MAX
Adobe Master Collection CS5"

- 64GB is nice but 32GB is all the Mac sees unless you boot into the 64-bit kernal. My recommendation is to stay with 32GB of RAM. That's a good healthy amount. You can always upgrade to more later.
- Nvidia just release Quadro 4000 for Mac. Less money and same or more processing power. Go for that.
- Love G-Tech drives
- Research your hardware before coming to any conclusion. I'd say that for every hardware manufacturer.
- Do you need Master Collection? Do you do Print, design or web work? If not, then just get Production Premium.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: 64 gig of RAM
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:46:14 pm

I can think of at least one application that can use every bit of that memory: Adobe After Effects CS5. Unlike the current version of FCP, it's a 64-bit application.

I just got a new machine at home to be used primarily for AE work. I could only afford to put 24 GB in it. I'm jealous.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]