Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

MTS to MOV Conversion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tim AllenMTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 6:46:41 am

Why is it that I have a $1,200 "Professional" editing software package (Final Cut Studio), and I still can't read .MTS files that are allegedly just AVCHD H.264 files?!?

Compressor can't do it. MPEG Streamclip can't do it. Quicktime Pro can't do it. VLC can't do it.

Anyone have a solution for this that doesn't require spending extra money?

Thanks,

-
The Real Tim Allen
Tribal Iris | HD Production & Finishing

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 6:54:51 am

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1104883#1104883

Rafael and other regulars here have answered this question before. Searching this forum pre whinge is recommended practice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim AllenRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:04:49 am

I did search the forums, and I did see this thread. Neither responses provided a good answer. ClipWrap is not free, and MPEG Streamclip does not work as stated in my original post.

-
The Real Tim Allen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:16:39 am

[Tim Allen] "...and I still can't read .MTS files that are allegedly just AVCHD H.264 files?!?"

Maybe you want to provide a bit more detail regarding these files. Where did they come from? Might help folks in helping you to diagnose and resolve your issue in a means more to your liking.

By the way, your attitude really sucks.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:14:46 am

AVCHD is a camera format generated in a metadata wrapper. If you have the wrapper that includes the mts files Final Cut will have no problem reading it. There is absolutely no reason and no excuse for the MPEG stream being separated from its folder structure. If you have that you're good to go without spending any money or using a third party utility. If the MPEG stream has been separated ClipWrap is the price you have to pay.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel LudwigRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 11:14:31 am

if the meta-datas are deleted and you only have the m2ts-files you can transcode these files to quicktime-mov using adobe media encoder CS4 or CS5, if you have installed encore and premiere.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Rafael AmadorRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 11:58:13 am

[Daniel Ludwig] "you can transcode these files to quicktime-mov using adobe media encoder CS4 or CS5, if you have installed encore and premiere."
Hi Daniel,
This is a Final Cut Forum, and what you are suggesting is not a solution for a Final Cut user.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Andy MeesRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:22:18 pm

C'mon Rafa, appreciate the loyalty buddy but many stalwart Final Cut Studio users also have (and regularly use) Adobe's Production Suite too (for After Effects and Photoshop).. And anyway, just because someone suggests a commercial software solution outside of the immediate Apple Final Cut Studio apps does not make it bad advice. If Tim has Premiere and AME then he may appreciate Daniel's tip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:37:38 pm

[Andy Mees] "C'mon Rafa, appreciate the loyalty buddy but many stalwart Final Cut Studio users also have (and regularly use) Adobe's Production Suite too (for After Effects and Photoshop).. And anyway, just because someone suggests a commercial software solution outside of the immediate Apple Final Cut Studio apps does not make it bad advice. If Tim has Premiere and AME then he may appreciate Daniel's tip."
Andy, if you ask me how to fix your "Beef Stew" because is too salty, I won't suggest you to kick the Beef Stew and buy a Lamb Shrank:-)
Is not about loyalty, is that "for a good HD upscaling, get a TERANEX", is not the kind os suggestions that people comes here looking for.
rafael
PS: Shoot XDCAM instead of AVCHD, would be, IMHO, another unappropriated suggestion in this case:-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Darwin HallRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 12:32:08 pm

Just found this post as I was in the same position. Just downloaded FCPX trial. I do, however, Adobe CS5 suite. Just want to use FCP. Having said that, Adobe Media Encoder works!

Gracias

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff ColemanRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:05:02 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "If you have the wrapper that includes the mts files Final Cut will have no problem reading it. There is absolutely no reason and no excuse for the MPEG stream being separated from its folder structure."

What is the proper structure? What files should be in the folder? Client just delivered to me a folder full of .m2ts and .m2ts.modd and .m2ts.moff files, but FCP Log and Transfer gives a Warning says the file "...contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

Episode burps on the m2ts file saying the h.264 is high profile and is unsupported.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:23:16 pm

.mts is not the same as .m2t. You might be able to convert it with MPEG Streamclip.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:33:58 pm

the .m2ts file opened in MPEG Streamclip without video and upon transcoding said it couldn't find the first video frame. ClipWrap seemed to turn it into a .mov file viewable in FCP and Compressor. 3-to-1 in Compressor quick cluster to transcode to full frame ProRes.
I guess there's no other way to do it without ClipWrap????

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 22, 2010 at 9:18:30 pm

Not if you don't have the folder structure. The files really say .m2t? Where did they come from? What camera shot them?

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 22, 2010 at 11:40:26 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "The files really say .m2t?

They say ".m2ts"

[Tom Wolsky] " Where did they come from? What camera shot them?"

Good question. They did not supply that information.

[Tom Wolsky] " Not if you don't have the folder structure."

What is the folder structure? i.e., what folders and files are suppose to be in there? Like in EX-XDCAM folders there is suppose to be certain files in the BPAV folder. If they're not there, FCP won't recognize the remaining. In a BPAV folder there is suppose to be two .XML files and a CLPR folder that has within it a folder for each clip. Inside that folder (e.g. "823_0091_01") should be 5 files ending in MP4, SMI, PPN, SML, and BIM.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 3:14:28 pm

[Tim Allen] "Why is it that I have a $1,200 "Professional" editing software package (Final Cut Studio), and I still can't read .MTS files that are allegedly just AVCHD H.264 files?!?"

Why is it that Avid Media Composer ($2500), the INDUSTRY STANDARD non-linear editing application that has been around for DECADES doesn't edit AVCHD native? It needs to convert it too!

That's a horrible argument....doesn't hold water. WHY doesn't it work? Because AVCHD wasn't designed to be edited natively.

What a piss poor attitude you have.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:04:02 pm

One of the problems of the AVCHD, is that there are as many flavors as camcorders manufacturers.
The AVCHD from canon, may differ from the SONY, and both differ of PANASONIC, etc.
I've been advocating ClipWrap, because the "Re-wrap" function was very interesting.
However I'm very disappointed. The re-wrapped files from my JVC Everio, maes FC get a "Out of Memory" error.
I've talked with "Divergentmedia" and I'm still waiting for a fix since a couple of months.
Rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim AllenRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:20:42 pm

Hey Gang,

Thanks for the help. Perhaps I should have added an "lol" at the end of my first statement to make it sound not so "piss poor". I just think it's silly that there doesn't seem to be a single solution for all this.

The issue here is that a client provided just the .MTS files to me, completely out of context from the media they were acquired with - so no meta data.

I suppose it makes me feel a little better that at least it's because the media is not in the context it was intended to be in for my uses.

Thanks for the info... guess I'm droppin' 50 bones on ClipWrap. :-P

FYI: I'm not frustrated at Apple or Avid for doing a less than stellar job of supporting the AVCHD format. I'm personally frustrated at the format for even existing. But that's just me. :-)

-
The Real Tim Allen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:30:25 pm

[Tim Allen] "I just think it's silly that there doesn't seem to be a single solution for all this."

There is...and it has been mentioned to you. And I too agree with it and use it. ClipWrap2. Yes, it costs money, but it works. On ALL types of AVCHD formats. So why not use that? Because it costs money?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hassan AndersonRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 7:48:58 pm

Shane, you're a pretty horrible person - no need to start talking about attitudes is there? Tim is simply asking a question about how to put files from a camera onto a computer without having to loop the f**king loop (which is quite reasonable considering how much filming and editing equipment costs by itself).

Its like booking a holiday, paying for the flights, hotel, min bar, food, trip to f**king aqua land and then being told that you have to pay an entry fee when you arrive at passport control. Its complete bullshit and its yet another way big ass companies squeeze the moderate wage consumer.

Another thing. These forums are here to make sure people HELP each other - no ones making you post - so if you dont like what being said or if you'd rather just sigh and roll eye brows then dont post piss poor patronizing advice

bet you're one of those guys that works in a camera shop and sniffs at customers who ask basic questions. then goes home and sucks his SD card slot on his camera for lack of #@$.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:05:27 pm

Calm down Hassan. I help more people a day than most people on the Cow. If they come with good attitudes, they are met with good attitudes.

Blame the camera makers who change the specs of the formats so often that editing systems are tasked with keeping up. There isn't one AVCHD format...there isn't a standard. There are about 5 different versions, and all require the software to be tweaked to work with them. One camera maker even released a camera that shoots a format that has no delivery medium....Panasonic made 1080p60. 60fps at 1080. TVs only play 30fps at 1080...that and 23.98. The web doesn't do 60fps at 1080...nor BluRay. 720p60 is a standard...not 1080.

So some new formats won't work in an NLE that hasn't been updated for a couple years. But that's why we have people like ClipWrap there to make sure that things can work.

Whatever...look through all my posts and see how I respond to people. 99% of the time it is with patience and kindness. But when people are snarky...I get snarky.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff NesmithRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 4:19:25 am

Man, what a useless thread. Egos, people, egos!

The MTS format is bullshit. It's not that AVCHD is a problem, it's just that it deserves to be encoded natively with all the metadata and such included—for example, with "log and transfer" within FCP. But often clients are in Indonesia or some shit and email you MTS files and that's just the way it is.

I'm going to offer up my solution, ugly as it may be. Go ahead and use AME to encode the .mts file. Set it to export at the resolution and codec you want. So now you have a perfectly good video file with no audio.

Next, open the original .mts file in the VLC player (which I'm assuming you have.) Run a program like WireTap Pro or Audio Hijack to capture the audio from the VLC player. I assume your MTS file is not the most hi resolution audio, so don't get all cringy. Now save your audio as something decent (aif or aac) and then open both files up in a video editor. I chose not to use FCP, but instead FCPX, because it works like iMovie—quick and dirty—no setting scratch disks, etc. and I'm not keeping this project file anyway.

Now just import your silent video and drop it in the timeline. Import your audio file and do the same. Sync it up, export to ProRes and you're good to go in FCP. Does that make sense?

It's not pretty, but we're talking about either saving the file, and making it editable, or complaining to the client that their footage sucks. Up to you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Sep 28, 2012 at 5:48:42 am

In fact, I created a post with more detail, just to address this issue. Hope it helps:

http://www.gypsycreative.com/mts-files-boy-they-suck-but-heres-a-solution/

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon ChappellRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Sep 29, 2012 at 5:28:58 pm

Jeff, the above link is broken. Your previous post on the process makes sense, but I'd like to read the detailed account.

I wouldn't mind paying the $50 for ClipWrap, but it is so irksome that my Sony HDR-CX260, a popular vidcam, creates mts files that can't be read directly by FCP. BTW, they drop into Vegas on my Windows machine just fine. And VLC plays them on my Mac. But can't get them into FCP with Log & Capture, etc. This "directory structure" talk doesn't make sense to me. The dang files should just open in FCP, just like they do in Vegas.

Can you supply the fixed link or copied text?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 29, 2012 at 6:31:01 pm

Sure thing. Sorry about the bad link. Try this:
http://www.gypsycreative.com/mts-files-boy-they-suck-but-heres-one-solution...
Also, and this is somewhat unrelated, make sure you're using "log and transfer" instead of "log and capture" unless you're taking footage from HDV.
Hope it's helpful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon ChappellRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Sep 29, 2012 at 8:39:35 pm

[Jeff Nesmith] "Also, and this is somewhat unrelated, make sure you're using "log and transfer" instead of "log and capture" unless you're taking footage from HDV. Hope it's helpful."

Thanks for pointing out the distinction, Jeff, though I may have misspoken in my post (but was performing the operation correctly at the time). In any case, I'll make sure to remember this the next time.

Thanks too for your speedy response, fixing the broken link, and for the straight-shootin', helpful and richly illustrated article on converting MTS files on the Gypsy Creative site. Very informative! -Jon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul KimRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Oct 25, 2012 at 3:39:02 am

So I'm wondering, what's the disadvantage of having only the .mts files to edit with, without the other associates files in the original file structure of the SD card? Do you lose all the camera metadata associated with the clip?

I'm wondering because of all the people touting Premiere as advantageous since it can pull in .mts files without a conversion. I am also wanting to explain to people what they're losing (if anything at all) if they go that route with Premiere.

I've always been advocating to maintain the entire file structure if only for the reason that I can work on multiple other NLEs, but I was wondering what Premiere was doing and what disadvantages it had if any when just the .mts files exist, and the rest was lost due to improper file management by a producer or client. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 30, 2012 at 3:09:56 am

Well, I can't answer that one completely, since I haven't made the switch (yet) to Premiere.

But one disadvantage to having only the .mts file is that Mac OS won't read .MTS—or AVCHD files—natively with Quicktime. Of course, another problem is that most of the metadata is not contained within the .MTS file, such as timecode.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that even when using Premiere Pro, the ideal workflow is to import and convert all of the footage and associated data from the original file structure on the card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Paul PearceRe: MTS to MOV Conversion
by on Aug 28, 2013 at 9:08:41 pm

Hi,

I know this is an old post but thought I would include a solution that worked for me for this same problem.

I tried MPEG Streamclip (the beta version 1.9.3b8 in order to use the mpeg2 connector).

I have a Mac Book Pro retina; Mac OS X 10.8 and tried to convert a .m2ts file to a Pro Res 422 in order to edit in FCP X and it gave me this error:
Error can't find the first video frame

I then tried Handbrake (a free open source converter) and it worked.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 28, 2013 at 9:33:49 pm

We didn't say to use COMPRESSOR...we (at least I) said to use CLIPWRAP2...from divergentmedia.com. Compressor doesn't work on bare MTS files.

And the problem with Handbrake is that it won't make editable files. It makes H.264 and MPEG2...mp4 and m4v files. Consumer level stuff. I use this for ripping my DVDs. It doesn't work for converting MTS files into a format that FCP works with, as FCP doesn't work with m4v or mp4 or H264 all that well. it wants ProRes...and that's what ClipWrap2 gets you.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]