Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon Vixia HDV Cam

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matt FrameFinal Cut Pro 5 and Canon Vixia HDV Cam
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 2:08:43 am

Hi,
Please excuse my raging ignorance on this. I am having difficulty finding specific answers about FCP5 and Vixia HDV camcorders. Here is the scoop: I have Powermac G4 Dual 1ghz, 2gb ram with FCP5 installed. I am in the market to buy a new-ish Cannon HDV camcorder. Are there any glaring issues with FCP5 importing/editing/exporting HDV footage shot on a Cannon Vixia? I suspect this is an extremely tired question but I really appreciate any info.
Cheers,
Matt

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon Vixia HDV Cam
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 7:45:07 am

FCP5 had trouble with almost all HDV cameras except the Sony Z1 which was popular. Any newer HDV cameras might not work with 5 year old legacy softwware.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt FrameRe: Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon Vixia HDV Cam
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 10:05:39 am

Thanks for your help. If I were to upgrade to FCP6 would this make a difference? thank you in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt FrameRe: Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon Vixia HDV Cam
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:42:05 am

Actually, I might be able to purchase to a G5 PowerMac, Dual 2ghz, with 4Gb of Ram with FCP 7 installed. Certainly this should be sufficient to edit HDV imported from Cannon HV20, yes?
Again, cheers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark PetereitRe: Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon Vixia HDV Cam
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 1:07:14 pm

It looks to me like your G4 is the weak link in your current chain. I'd upgrade that first, but I'd seriously beg, borrow or steal enough money to at least move up to an Intel Mac. Even an intel iMac would do better than a G5.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy DoyleRe: Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon Vixia HDV Cam
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:47:03 pm

[Matt Frame] "G5 PowerMac, Dual 2ghz, with 4Gb of Ram with FCP 7 installed"

FCP 7 is not officially supported on a G5, which could cause problems unless you have a few mac skills.

On the other hand, I have a G5 2.3 with FCP 6 running on it and I can cut footage from my HV20 all day and night smooth as butter. Effects and render times are horrendous though. No where near the realtime effects I get with my 3.0 octo that I have at work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]