Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Broadcast Delivery Feedback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Craig RussillRoyBroadcast Delivery Feedback
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 5:20:48 am

Hello everyone, I am going to post this on the digital delivery forum as well but I need a little intel before doing so.

Being an editor for 21 years come december I am now at Europes largest digital delivery company Adstream, we delivery spots all over the world and have been for many years now.

My current project is to create the worlds most amazing white pages - now let's talk codecs, I have created presets for;

Episode
Squeeze
Compressor
Adobe media encoder
Rhozet
Flip factory
Procoder

I am working on pro res, avid merdian, dnx and mpeg2 422

With export tutorials for;

Fcp
Avid
Premiere pro
Vegas
Media100

So from the communities overlook is that something that would work for everyone and is there anything I have missed ? Once completed you will be able to view and download free of charge ..

I welcome any feedback as I want to listen to the community not dictate.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jeremy HooRe: Broadcast Delivery Feedback
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:11:18 am

HI Craig,

Would like to know what is your take between Telestream's episode vs. Rhozet Promedia carbon. Any significant advantage of one over the other?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig RussillRoyRe: Broadcast Delivery Feedback
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 7:57:09 am

Great question, unfortunatly i dont have a short answer ;-)

Let me explain what we do- our goal is to offer a delivery system with multiple tools for the agency and broadcaster -we use both flip and rhozet at a API level and drive them via XML and also watch folders - they both need to deliver to platforms and ftps.

We do around 1 million commercials are for each of those commercials they need to go to Broadcasters and delivery platforms so it is into the millions, globally.

In 2000 we started with flip as it was the 'groen up' of transcoders back then and came with the price tag to match - the main issue with flip was you paid per codec, so yu want MPEG422 thats £2500, you want MXF, that's another £2500 and so on - it can come to 70k all up.

The benefit for flip back then was also the API integration and support - flip is a great product and it can serve so much for your needs, we still use flip today and with the ProresHQ encoding on a PC platform it is very attractive to us - we have just installed to FLIP HD PRO - this has lots of broadcaster plugins and tools to tailor to their needs, there is Vantage which is a more GUI experience then flip but has the bare bones code of flip just with a sexy front end - great for creating workflows

Episode - is basically awesome, the 3 models - episode - episode pro and engine, engine is the fastest encoder i have seen and now with API and XML intergration is very attractive to us - with a price tag of 4kUS WITH ALL THE CODECS it is a no brainer, it is multithreading and is super quick.

Rhozet, we went with this cause we needed to install al LOT of these and it came with all the codecs onboard for a great price, that model is changing - they have a server version to farm out jobs, as does flip - it doesn't allow you to send to a ftp - which baffles me - you can via XML coding but for a simple - pick up here and drop there - it only can read a ftp but needs to drop to a local network - I believe Rhozet(now bought buy OMNEON) are looking at a different pricing structure or support plan that is not interesting to us - due to the massive volume of LIC we have in the field.

So it really depends on your volumes of files and what you need to do with them, I am seeing more and more people in North America sending direct to Broadcasters - this doesn't work in Europe and ASIA as the broadcaster require a XML to be imported into their automation system and also there are so many suppliers int eh USA/Canada TV stations are trying to filter down the suppliers, we use 3rd Party people in USA/Canada - Extreme Reach is really good.

So what do I like best - I love flip but it is very restricted on changing things which is good or bad depending on how you look at it - Rhozet is good but the output is what you need to see is important to you - neither export to Viemo - you tube etc - Episode for my eyes is the best bang for buck - Engine is truely amaing and placed on a fast server this would do any ones needs - when you download the traial it is the Engine version - so beware - when you purchase the PRO it only does 2 at a time - the Episode Basic does 1.

So what are you doing for trans-coding ?

Adstream London, England

4 x Mac Pros, FCP7, 4 x Flip Factories, 35 x Rhozet Carbon Coders, Offices Globally

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy HooRe: Broadcast Delivery Feedback
by on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:43:06 am

Hey Craig,

Thank you so much for the very insightful breakdown. In my case not looking into the volume that you are doing. In doing a mix of long form and short form work, I am looking for a transcoding solution that would cover all my needs at the moment. Some may require delivery directly to broadcasters, but for the most part just trying to get this transcoding portion away from the edit bay (where the work is happening). Looking around the options, there are a mix of software/hardware solutions. The telestream option does look very viable as you mentioned it does everything, and it is scalable for future needs. i would also believe as you mentioned even with the speed advantage the quality of the compression is still viable for broadcast standards?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:16:20 pm

Hi There

I have found that Episode does a MUCH better downscale then Rhozet and Flip os much that we use this exclusively in our Spanish office - as for HD to HD the top 3 I have mentioned are very similare as Episode 5 used the Main Concept Codecs for H.264 and MPEg Epside 6 uses FFMpeg Codecs ... Rhozet mow bought by Harmonic is an obvious choice if you want OMNEON files ...

Adstream London, England

4 x Mac Pros, FCP7, 4 x Flip Factories, 35 x Rhozet Carbon Coders, Offices Globally

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bouke VahlRe: Broadcast Delivery Feedback
by on Nov 26, 2011 at 11:22:14 am

Craig,

I'm interested in the XML files broadcasters need.
I know the specs for the Netherlands, as well as the MXF file name conventions, but do you know what specs go for other countries? (Or where i can find them?)

thx,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:18:06 pm

Hi Bouke

It took our company years and years to develop and integrate with all of the broadcasters - and me supplying that information would impact on our core business to the broadcasters ;-)

Adstream London, England

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:45:20 pm

well, it took me 30 minutes to grasp the requirements for the Dutch broadcasters, so perhaps you should hire me :-)

(well, actually this isn't a joke...)

Bouke

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:54:59 pm

Cool - only 13675 TV stations to go then we might look at hiring you ;-)

If it took you 30 minutes SURELY the XML is a breeze !

feel free to to have chat with our local office

http://www.adstream.com/contact-us/global-locations

All the best

Adstream London, England

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 26, 2011 at 7:36:02 pm

This is not how i wanted this conversation to go. However,
fair enough, i'll call in some friends.
The future is for everyone to be able to deliver.
(and yes, i will take some buisness from you, since you nicely asked to do so.)

Bouke

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]