Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP on PC??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
J. Tad NewberryFCP on PC??
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:57:57 pm

I'm 99% sure FCP (and FCS) will ONLY run on a Mac, isn't that true? But i've heard a few people are convinced it will run on a PC. Which is true?

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

B.J. AhlenRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:09:55 pm

Some people have installed hacked BIOS chips on their PCs, to create a "Hackintosh."

Let's say you do this, and you're able to make FCS work initially.

Then one day you have a problem. Do you think Apple will take your trouble report?

Do you think the pros in this forum will spend time to try to figure out if your problem is in FCS or in a Hackintosh incompatibility?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Luke PearsonRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 2:16:21 pm

On certain PC motherboards you didn't even need to 'hack' the bios, you can download a 'hacked' osx installer from a torrent and just run it during bootup, providing your PC is fairly up to date it'll install no problem and if you need drivers for anything they can mostly be found online.

I've tested it and it does work quite well, I even managed to do an edit in Final Cut, the only problem I encountered was exporting to an NTFS drive within my PC but if you were to format all your drives to GUID that wouldn't be an issue.

Obviously if you do this you will have zero support and it's against the OSX EULA. I should also add that I managed to kill my Creative Audigy soundcard by installing the wrong drivers in OSX, I've no idea why it killed the card, maybe it tried to install some new firmware or something???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:15:17 pm

It seems that is possible install it and even open it.
Edit and operate, I don't know.
I guess you have to know a lot of programing to cheat FC and convince him that that PC is a MAC.
Updating is seems that is another no easy operation. In the end you would spend so much in brain, that would be anti economic.
I think that is the kind of things only justified if you are to impress a girl or go to jail, because, I guess, is illegal.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FoleyRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:31:59 am

Cheat a PC? The Intel MAC IS a PC with an Intel platform boot process for a GUID disk drive format.

There are a few careful steps you need to consider to get the PC BIOS to look like a MAC's EFI Firmware, but it is done.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

B.J. AhlenRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 1:28:02 am

Sure, it has been done by quite a few enthusiasts who cared more about being "cool" than about having a supported system that would always be there for them when needed.

A student with no deadlines could potentially save some bucks, but if you're a working professional you could end up having to tell the client: "Sorry, I couldn't finish you project on time because Apple and other pros can't support FCP on my cheap pirate box."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 7:33:17 am

Back to the original question, the software will only run on Mac OS, it will not install on Windows, if that is what you were asking.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne CareyRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:19:23 pm

Isn't that kinda like asking for a Lamborghini with an automatic transmission? Why?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

J. Tad NewberryRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 7:51:24 pm

So what are you guys REALLY trying to say??? : )

Hey, thanks again so much for the input. I was pretty sure these would be the answers, but have a client who had "heard" they could run FCS on their PC. I first said, "No", but then thought I should look into it. will now change my answer to, "HELL NO!"

Thanks!

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne CareyRe: FCP on PC??
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 9:49:34 pm

[J. Tad Newberry] "Hey, thanks again so much for the input. I was pretty sure these would be the answers, but have a client who had "heard" they could run FCS on their PC. I first said, "No", but then thought I should look into it. will now change my answer to, "HELL NO!""

I think the proper response would be... WTF!!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]