Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

H.264 and FCP 5.0.4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Vickie SceifersH.264 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 4:43:17 pm

I just bought a Kodak Zi8. I cannot get FCP 5.0.4 to play the clip correctly. It supposedly does H.264, but isn't working. Do I need another codec? This isn't in exporting. I can't get that far. I need to edit this clip and it plays back too choppy to even watch.

Help! Thanks!
Vickie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: H.264 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 4:52:45 pm

Don't count on FCP 5 to work with that stuff. H.264 is definitely NOT an editing codec. Convert that still camera video to Prores in Compressor.

Did they have Prores with FCP5? Hmmmm......

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Raymond TuqueroRe: H.264 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 5:46:21 pm

I don't believe FCP 5 had ProRes fully ... meaning it only had one choice that was buggy.

I recommend an upgrade ... or like Dave stated ... convert the file in Compressor into something else that your system can read.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.rtuqvidere.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zane BarkerRe: H.264 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 5:52:49 pm

[Raymond Tuquero] "I don't believe FCP 5 had ProRes fully"

It did not have it at all.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vickie SceifersRe: H.264 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 9:43:53 pm

Sorry. I missed the other responses before I posted.

Upgrading is not an option.

I guess I'll have to go over to iMovie (yuk, I hate leaving the professional environment, esp being the environment I already know.)

FCP 5 DOES have export>QT Conversion and defaults to h.264. But I can't edit something already H.264?

Thanks.

Vickie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2009 at 10:05:34 pm

[Vickie Sceifers] "...FCP 5 DOES have export>QT Conversion and defaults to h.264...."

I don't know why that would be a default setting. Perhaps it's the last codec you used when exporting with QT conversion.

[Vickie Sceifers] " But I can't edit something already H.264? "

That's correct. H.264 is a delivery and distribution codec. On that cute lil' camera of yours and and a few prosumer still cameras, it's an acquisition codec. It's not not any more of an editing codec than is native HDV; in FCP-Land, HDV normally gets converted to ProRes at capture for ease of editing, color correction, and preservation of image quality, say for round-tripping to an effects and compositing application.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vickie SceifersRe: H.264 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 9:38:01 pm

Thanks.

FYI, this is not a still camera. It's an HD video camera; the new Kodak Zi8. The native format is h.264 .MOV 720p 60fps.

I want to edit that footage without long render times. I'm basically cutting off heads and tails. Not typically full on editing (or I would convert it). iMovie brings it right in, plays perfectly. I'm just not familiar with iMovie and would prefer not to learn another program (but I have a feeling that's what's going to happen).

I typically post in .FLV, but want to take advantage of the 720p 60fps quality. I use FFMPEG to convert. No prores possibilities here.

Thanks!
Vickie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2009 at 9:52:24 pm

[Vickie Sceifers] "...FYI, this is not a still camera. It's an HD video camera; the new Kodak Zi8...."

Ooooh, I just saw a picture of that tiny little dickens, and it's just about the cutest thing I've ever seen! Fits in your pocket and everything! It just HAS to be perfectly wonderful for candids and blackmail video! Oh, golly, I just bet it's about the funnest little thing ever on Earth!

Do you know if it comes in colors? I'd just adore having one in Peach, Raspberry or Aquamarine!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn BockovenRe: H.264 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Nov 21, 2009 at 5:09:44 pm

These pocket video cameras are VERY popular in education. My Flip HD is black and love using it to shoot our CIneAlta team at work in the field. Every camera has its place.

Just received an EOS 7D. Can't wait to see what the 7D can do.

WOW!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]