Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

5.1 Surround Sound Editing in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jeffrey fitzgerald5.1 Surround Sound Editing in FCP
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:41:18 pm

Hey Gang,

I've been asked to consider editing an indie movie and thought I would seek out some advice. Is there any info on how to set up your timeline for 5.1 surround sound? What channel is where, etc. I would very much like to get the audio A+ for aural effect. Also, can anyone recommend any decent 5.1 earphones?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: 5.1 Surround Sound Editing in FCP
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 7:41:51 pm

FCP doesn't do 5.1 audio. You'll have to do that mix in Soundtrack pro.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik OlssonRe: 5.1 Surround Sound Editing in FCP
by on Mar 9, 2010 at 1:24:13 pm

What is the most effective way of outputting a 5.1 mix to a 5.1 surround sound monitoring setup?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Henry TruongRe: 5.1 Surround Sound Editing in FCP
by on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:59:46 pm

I'm not familiar with the audio editing in FCP as I learned surround mixing in Pro Tools. But to answer your other questions:

The standard configuration for surround sound setup is LRC, Lfe, Ls, Rs setup. To do this you would go to your sequence settings and go to the audio outputs tab. You will want to designate your 6 outputs and set them to dual mono. Then you will go back to your timeline, and you bring in your 5.1 mix as follows:

Left channel on 1
Right channel on 2
Center on 3
Lfe on 4
Left surround on 5
R surround on 6

There is an icon on each track that is to the right of the lock icon. You want to click on that and designate each channel to go to its corresponding output.

As far as 5.1 headphones, the best suggestion is to mix on an appropriate monitor configuration.

-henry

HD Creative Services
http://www.hdcreativeservices.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: 5.1 Surround Sound Editing in FCP
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 1:01:04 am

Not sure about 5.1 earphones Jeffrey, but can note that the Matrox MXO2 I/O box offers direct surround sound monitoring outputs if you happen to have a suitable speaker set up already. Could be worth a look.

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2/audio/

Best
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]