Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

fcp 7 and mpeg 4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Greg Pilonfcp 7 and mpeg 4
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:28:25 am

I have a red project with a 23.98 timeline. We are bringing in some mpeg 4 clips that are exported for 23.98. It seems fcp 7 is doing a weird pulldown, that adds some dup frames so are digital dollies have a noticeable studder. Anyone else experience this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt LyonRe: fcp 7 and mpeg 4
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 6:59:50 pm

What was the original frame rate of the mp4 clips and how were they converted? It sounds like the problem might have been introduced in the conversion stage. Maybe you need to reconvert the media to 23.98 using a higher quality motion conversion? (eg. optical flow algorithm)

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FishbackRe: fcp 7 and mpeg 4
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 8:30:55 pm

Make sure you use 23.976 not 23.98 when entering the frame rate. Many apps (AE for example) produce the exact framerate you enter. 23.98 is just shorthand for 23.976. FCP calls 23.976 23.98, but it is actually 23.976.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

steve knattressRe: fcp 7 and mpeg 4
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 1:20:59 pm

I have a similar problem with FCP7 duplicating frames on MPEG-4 imported material, but I am in PAL 25fps.

I have many hours of cycle headcam Mpeg-4 material which plays fine in QT 10 and 7 pro. (on an esata raid connected to an express34 card on my macBook Pro.)
It is reported as MPEG4 Decompressor (libavcodec), 720 x 576, Millions Microsoft ADPCM, Stereo, 16.000 kHz at 25 fps.
If I import this to FCP7 I can view it without problem in the viewer.
As expected I get an un-rendered red line when I edit sections into a 25 fps timeline. (I have tried Pal 25fps DV and prores timelines)
If I however render this I get two duplicate frames every 13-14 frames giving a definite stutter to the edited material.
If I use QT7 Pro to export the whole of one of the mpeg-4 file to a 25fps DV .mov the resultant movie runs fine and I am able to edit it into the timelines without a problem. The resultant file is also much bigger
Obviously I could convert all of my clips before import, but there are tens hours of material from which I require very few seconds.

Has any one any idea why the render stutters when all files should be 25fps?
I really would like to select my clips in mpeg-4 and then render only that material in the final timeline.

Thanks Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: fcp 7 and mpeg 4
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 1:24:58 pm

Hi Steve,
Mp4 is not an editable codec.
To avoid problems, transcode your footage to any other codec that FC can manage.
That's the usual workflow with the H264 from the DSRL and so.
Bets,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

steve knattressRe: fcp 7 and mpeg 4
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 1:33:37 pm

Yes I realise that Mpeg4 is not an editable codec that is why I am dropping it into a prores timeline and trying to render it to an editable one.

My idea was to compile the clips I should need in mpeg4 then only convert/render those.

I just do not understand why QT can convert the file to DV.mov without any problem, but FCP cannot do the same when rendering part of the file from the timeline.

I really do have tens of hours of footage of which I only need a small percentage for the edit.

Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]