Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ian Liuzzi-FedunFinal Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:38:08 pm

Apple says that the requirements to run all Final Cut Studio applications is an Intel Mac. What is the deal. Will anything in the new FC Studio work on a PowerPC? Does anyone know of any hacks that will make this possible?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:44:46 pm

The new Final Cut Studio, FCP 7, will NOT work on any PowerPC computer, this includes G5s, G4s, G3s...etc. It won't even install. And no, there is no hack. The code is written for Intel only...unlike FCP 6 where it included code for both PowerPC and Intel (thus the title, CROSSGRADE).

This version is Intel only. No hacks.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

Jeremy GarchowRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:45:08 pm

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "Will anything in the new FC Studio work on a PowerPC?"

No, sorry. FCS3 is intel only, as will be Snow Leopard.

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "Does anyone know of any hacks that will make this possible?"

Hack your best buddy into buying you a new mac?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian Liuzzi-FedunRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:46:51 pm

Thanks for your help. I just hate how Apple does this. Now I have to pay a lot for MacPros. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:49:36 pm

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "Now I have to pay a lot for MacPros"

Why? Does FCP 6 (Studio 2) no longer work?

Shane

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:54:27 pm

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "I just hate how Apple does this."

Progress can be expensive. In all fairness, the intel transition was announced in June 2005, 4 years ago.

The transition for FCP to run intel only took 4 years. That's a long while in computer time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mat SunderlandRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 12:25:31 pm

It is not progress to cut off a section of highly reliable machines. Apple have essentially made cash by writing off edit suites. I run one of the last quads. Would run FCP7 with no problem but has been outmoded by apple. So I have to bin a damn fine machine and buy a new one. It is not progress it is regressive and stupid.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 5:06:09 pm

Get over it Mat, this thread is two years old and this issue is now six years old.

We're in a whole new decade now... Try it, maybe you'll like living in the present.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 7, 2011 at 5:18:39 pm

[Mat Sunderland] "It is not progress to cut off a section of highly reliable machines. "

Sorry for your troubles, Mat, but the writing has been on the wall for the 5-6 years that Apple announced it would be moving to the intel platform. That is a very long time in computer years and that has left plenty of time to get ready for the next stage of purchase. They have supported and dragged this legacy for long enough and have supported multiple platforms/architectures for longer than most (if you were an Adobe user, you would have switched to intel long ago).

Sorry for your troubles, but you shouldn't feel sorry for yourself.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mat SunderlandRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 5:56:54 pm

Don't feel sorry for myself just angry that Apple are writing off a perfectly good machine. Old architecture or not and although they are switching to a new platform it matters little. I have been around long enough to understand the speed of change but this is just a way to get you to buy more. Especially as it would seem that FCP7 upgrades are all universal.

With this in mind it is just lack of support. Which means that the machines are not out of date. A 4 year old edit suite is not really in need of changing. It can edit 4K red stuff at roughly the same speed as my other edit suite with a decent drive. Making computers obsolete is not a good way forward for anyone except apple. I think what you misunderstand about me is not my need to upgrade have now gotten FCP7 running on the Quad it is that apple are so ready to destroy machines. Makes me feel like PC is a better option in the long run.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SlatskiRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Dec 31, 2011 at 2:24:49 am

Thats why I switched from MAC to Windows

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:59:10 pm

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "Thanks for your help. I just hate how Apple does this. Now I have to pay a lot for MacPros. Thanks guys. "

As has already been mentioned in another thread about this exact same scenario, the last G5 was made about 4 years ago. So Apple has supported that platform quite well.

FCP 7 was most likely made to take advantage of the new Snow Leopard Operating System, which also requires Intel processors to run.

So Apple has done nothing wrong. You can continue to use Final Cut Pro 6, Studio 2 and everything that goes with it until you're ready to upgrade your system. Just because a new Studio came out doesn't mean you need the upgrade today.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fred KovachRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 6:39:33 pm

Without getting into all the "should you or nots", I do want to thank you for all of your cautionary statements. I wish I had come across this thread months ago when FCS3 first came out.

You see, I have a G5 here and want to install FCS3. Using due diligence before I ordered, I checked several of my favorite forums and found that, yes, it will work on a G5. However, there was an administrative delay in ordering and so I didn't actually get FCS3 until yesterday.

Imagine my shock when my G5 kicked it out. And then dismay, because I have already opened the package and can't return it. Again, I wish I had seen your cautionary statements. But even more so, I wish that those whose posts I had read, had given more details as to what it would take to make it work. Admittedly, the posts were made soon after the release of FCS3, but still......

So now I am in the awkward position of either installing it, or having to eat the money I spent on it.

I have decided I have nothing to lose to try to install this. I don't do prores or any of the other things that have been mentioned. Nor is my machine mission-critical. Worst case: I go back and install FCS2.

So now it is time to thank the other side (at least in advance as I am awaiting more specific instructions) for pointing me in the right direction.

But I would make this humble request to anybody out there who wants to answer "yes" to this question. Please make it clear that it is not merely a matter of sticking the disks in.

I say all this, not to re-start any arguments, but to let both sides know that there are valid and extenuating circumstances for each side of this discussion.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Al J. MarschkeRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:06:20 pm

Just picked up two Intels up on ebay for about $1500 each.

Thanks,

AL J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:11:43 pm

I envy u

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

brian mcleanRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Sep 6, 2009 at 6:22:38 pm

There is a hack to get fcp 7 on a non-intel machine.
Search I am running now.

However I have to render my timeline for just a simple dv clip!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:13:18 pm

The other issue with this is that you don't get a warranty which I am always nervous about.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:52:28 pm

They are usually from leasing companies. They require a statement that they are in working order. Both Intel Macs are working perfectly. Tons of them on ebay. Macs are easy to fix. replace whatever is broke.

Thanks,

AL J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:57:40 pm

Nothing like a warranty

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Baz LefflerRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 30, 2009 at 1:28:10 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Hack your best buddy into buying you a new mac?"

Maybe we might be able to download a pirated Intel Mac off the internet so we can use FCP 7?

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:47:16 pm

[Baz Leffler] "Maybe we might be able to download a pirated Intel Mac off the internet so we can use FCP 7? "

Yarrrrrrrgghhh, matey!

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Ben PirouetRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:35:33 pm

I've just received my copy of FCS3, and according to the 'Get Info' tab, Final Cut 7 is 'Universal'. Unfortunately i don't have any PowerPC machines to hand to test whether a PowerPC will actually load the app.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:36:58 pm

Actually all the FCS3 apps appear to be 'Universal'. Has anyone actually tried to load any of them on a PowerPC?

Usually If it's an Intel only build of an app, doesn't the 'Get Info' tab say that?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cow
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:57:42 pm

PLEASE GET SOMEONE TO TEST THIS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:06:39 pm

Just some screencaps to prove i'm not lying, both from FCP7:

Get Info Tab

Loading FCP7 from Rosetta gives me this box

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:08:00 pm

Hmm dunno why those links didn't work, try again.

http://www.bpirozzolo.com/FCP1.jpg
http://www.bpirozzolo.com/FCP2.jpg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cow
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:12:24 pm

Post the App online so we can all download and test it. LOL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:18:40 pm

From here:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/

"Final Cut Studio System Requirements

Requirements to install all Final Cut Studio applications
Mac computer with an Intel processor"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:25:29 pm

That kind of suggests that some elements require Intel processors but not all. To actually not state in the system requirements that PowerPCs will work to some extent is a bit dumb isn't it, if it does work? Seeing as though all the Mac websites have stated that FCS3 is Intel only.

A bit of an update: I've managed to get Motion to open in Rosetta without any issue.

If elements of FCS3 do require Intel, what are they? All the apps seem to be Universal.

I've got a PowerMac G5 at work, i'll test this tomorrow.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pablo SánchezRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:56:24 pm

Hi Ben.

What graphics card model do you have installed on your mac pro g5 for FCP 7?

Thks!

Pablo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 19, 2012 at 3:39:41 pm

I believe it is the nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra with 256mb VRAM. Last AGP model.

While i'm here, i'd just like to mention that even today we still maintain a couple of the Power Mac G5s we forced FCP7 on, and never once had a problem with them. In fact they performed better than some of our first generation Intel models in a lot of areas :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pablo SánchezRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:53:37 am

Thks for the info.

We have a problem with the render. All the projects/videos/... needs the render (shows the red line on top the project) and with the FCP 6 don't.

you'd know why this happends?

thks again!

Pablo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cow
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:57:52 pm

PLEASE GET SOMEONE TO TEST THIS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vince SanchezRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:34:51 pm

First thing I did when I got my copy was pop the disc into one of our old G5s, hit install and it immediately told me: Intel needed to install, end of that.

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:45:19 pm

So what's the deal then? Even some of the new elements in FCS3 like the 'Create Disc' app that creates Blu-ray disks are 'Universal'

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:48:10 pm

A lot of times the installer will limit you however once the app is installed you can just drag it right into an older machine and launch it with no trouble

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:51:58 pm

If anyone can get to a G5 machine before me, Install the individual .PKG files of Final Cut Pro rather than using the main installer. That'll bypass the system requirements test.

I'll have a go myself tomorrow morning if no one else does.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason LyonsRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 30, 2009 at 1:02:02 am

Just raising the red flag an inch higher. My guess is that the benefits you seek in upgrading might just require those intel chips. Its probably a good thing to trust the installer when it says "I cant do it Captain"

Good luck.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:12:46 pm

I can confirm that FCP7 not only works on PowerPC, it works VERY well.

I'm going to write up a full report about this tonight when i get home, and i'm going to be testing the rest of the apps too, but having done a very quick test, all the FCS3 apps at least open without issue on PowerPC. FCP i've done more testing on and no issues so far, even with new issues and stuff you'd expect to screw up if it's not supported.

What i will say so far is that i've been through all the components and install files of FCS3 and so far the only 'Intel Only' component i can find is the AVC Intra plugin. I kind of expected that.

As i said, full report when i'm at home tonight.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:16:16 pm

Can you describe how you got it to work on the PowerMac? Did you just throw the app on an external harddrive and then bring it to work or what?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:20:50 pm

If you download the free app 'Pacifist' (search for it on Google), It will install the Final Cut Studio apps, including all the codecs and plugins etc exactly as the Apple Installer would do. It just ignores the System Requirements.

Before i did this though, i did manually look through all the packages to see what was Universal and what was Intel only, and like i said so far only AVC-Intra support is Intel Only it seems.

I'll post some screenshots and some more details later.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:29:15 pm

I thought FCP 6.0.6 supported AVC-intra?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 4:51:07 pm

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "I thought FCP 6.0.6 supported AVC-intra? "

It does...it imports it as ProRes. BUT, FCP 7 imports it in the native codec...there is an AVCIntra codec in FCP 7.

Just to let you all know...hacking FCP to get it to work on your PPC might sound cool and fun, but if you earn a living with this machine and FCP, I recommend AGAINST it. Never hack software and expect it to work well. Apple didn't make it Intel only because they want to make more money selling computers (althought it may appear so)...no. Many of the features of the new version require an Intel mac to use, like capturing to the new ProRes codecs, the AVCIntra decoder...stuff like that. So while your PPC might get to use those cool new Markers, you cannot use Log and Transfer to convert footage to ProRes Proxy, or ProRes LT...or work with RED footage as ProRes...or possibly get shadows to work in Motion...a host of other things.

So this begs the question...WHY get FCP 7 and hack it to work on your PPC when you can't take advantage of what it has to offer?

Shane

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 7:23:04 pm

We have 30 Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5ghz machines at work which are more than capable, and if Final Cut Studio 3 works on PowerPC machines, why should we be forced to replace them at massive expensive? Also it's useless having a dual economy with Final Cut, it's either one version or nothing, so even if all the features didn't work, the advantage of having PowerPC support to us would be enormous.

Anyway I'm not even hacking the software itself, i'm just bypassing an Installer system requirement check. The software itself is completely untouched. This is not like what some people do with FCP6 and hack the program itself to make it work with machines that don't have Quartz Extreme or what have you. This version of FCS3 was clearly designed to work on PowerPC machines, at least to some extent. From what i'm observing, it looks as though the Intel only decision was made right at the last minute.

I could understand your point if the new features of FCS3 didn't work, but as you'll see from these pictures below, they DO actually work. With the exception of AVC-Intra support as i mentioned, all the new features i've tested so far work and work very well. Admittedly i haven't tried every single feature, but so far i've had nothing but success. Even Motion 4 which is very processor and GPU heavy actually works faster than Motion 3 did.

Some examples here:

http://www.bpirozzolo.com/powerpcmotion.jpg - The new features of Motion like Reflections, shadows, framing camera support and depth of field all work perfectly, and on our G5 PowerMacs with the 256mb Nvidia GPUs work smoothly and efficiently.

http://www.bpirozzolo.com/powerpcfcp.jpg - FCP7 as you can see loads fine, new features like the new speed tools work without problems. I outputted the FCP timeline display via a Formac box to a studio monitor, all with no issues.

http://www.bpirozzolo.com/powerPCSTP.jpg - New features in Soundtrack Pro work very well too.

So what doesn't work? I'm not stupid as to think that i KNOW that everything is going to work, but from the testing i did today everything seems to work very well.

I would never recommend that you purchase FCS3 purely for a PowerPC machine, but if you've got some Intel and PowerPC machines and you know that you're going to purchase the software anyway, i'd say it's worth the risk just to see if it actually works for you! So far it does for me... We'll see if that changes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 7:30:18 pm

One thing i forgot to mention, when i loaded FCP7 on an older 1.9ghz iMac G5 machine to test it, it said FCP required a 2ghz G5 processor, and this box was new, it didn't look like the box you got on FCP6 when you were missing a required hardware feature. So FCP7 clearly is designed to work on a G5 processor. FCP6 needed a 1.25ghz G4 Processor. So it's not as if it's an old requirement stamp that has been left in the programming.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 7:44:55 pm

[Ben Pirouet] "We have 30 Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5ghz machines at work which are more than capable, and if Final Cut Studio 3 works on PowerPC machines, why should we be forced to replace them at massive expensive?"

Again...my question is WHY upgrade? What will you get from FCP 7 that you can actually use? The codecs won't work on the older machines, many of the FXPlug plugins and Motion may not work...so why cripple yourself when you have a perfectly good working setup with FCS 2? I just don't understand this "FCS 3 came out and now I am stuck with FCS 2 and I can't function properly" mentality. You have a good working setup...use it. Don't muck it up by hacking FCS 3 and installing it and thinking it will just work. It is unsupported by the vendor...Apple. So when you have problems, you will have no one to go to and no one to blame but yourself. I think it would be highly irresponsible for you to do this on machines that you use to earn a living.

But...do what you want. In the end, you have only yourself to blame when you have problems.

[Ben Pirouet] "This version of FCS3 was clearly designed to work on PowerPC machines, at least to some extent. From what i'm observing, it looks as though the Intel only decision was made right at the last minute. "

You are wrong. Apple didn't test this on PowerPC machines...G5's. They only tested it on Intel macs and only support it on intel macs. Sure, you didn't "hack" the installer in any major way other than to say "install this on my machine even though it isn't an intel," and you aren't breaking any laws. But when things don't work...well, you heard me already on that.

[Ben Pirouet] "So what doesn't work? "

Capturing to or importing to the new ProRes codecs. Try that and see what happens. FXPlug plugins...try those and see what happens.

Whatever...if what you need to work, works...then fine. But if you come back for support here saying "this isn't working," or "I can't do this..." Well, the answer would be pretty darn clear as to why not.

Shane

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 8:03:15 pm

The current and new FXPlug plugins do work, you can see one of the new ones in use on my FCP screenshot above, and though i haven't actually tested them, the new ProRes Quicktime plugin is 'Universal', though i will have a go at that tomorrow on a G5 to see how it performs.

I suppose the point i'm trying to make is that the new features work on PowerPC machines, so there must have been some conscious effort to make them PowerPC compatible, so why isn't the software officially PowerPC compatible? Did Apple just say 'na lets not bother testing it even though we've spent time making new features that work on PowerPC' . I'd just like an explanation really.

And like i said above, FCS2 is still good software, BUT we can't run a dual economy. We want to upgrade our Intel machines to FCS3 to take advantage of new features, but we can't leave our PowerPC machines on older versions, they'd be useless to us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 8:06:33 pm

[Ben Pirouet] "We want to upgrade our Intel machines to FCS3 to take advantage of new features, but we can't leave our PowerPC machines on older versions, they'd be useless to us."

What are you going to do about Snow Leopard?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 8:09:21 pm

As long as FCS3 works on both Leopard and Snow Leopard, it doesn't matter if our Intel machines are upgraded to SL, and our PowerPC machines are kept on Leopard, we just want to be able to transfer FCP7 projects between PowerPC and Intel machines

If for whatever reason we need SL on all machines, then the PowerPCs will have to go, but if FCS3 works well on PowerPC machines like it appears to, there's no point in getting rid of what are still potentially very useful machines to us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 8:10:46 pm

[Ben Pirouet] "there must have been some conscious effort to make them PowerPC compatible, so why isn't the software officially PowerPC compatible? Did Apple just say 'na lets not bother testing it even though we've spent time making new features that work on PowerPC' . I'd just like an explanation really. "

Well, I know that they didn't test the software on PowerPCs. And they made no effort to make the features work on PPCs...most of the stuff might just be leftover from the crossgrade code. They designed the software and the new features with Intel machines in mind, because they are looking ahead at Snow Leopard.

Shane

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 8:17:49 pm

Well, I know that they didn't test the software on PowerPCs. And they made no effort to make the features work on PPCs...most of the stuff might just be leftover from the crossgrade code. They designed the software and the new features with Intel machines in mind, because they are looking ahead at Snow Leopard.

Oh ok i'll take your word for that then.

Like i said, i would never recommend that anyone specifically purchases FCS3 just for a PowerPC machine, but if you've got the software already, you may as well test run it on a PowerPC machine to see it works, which for me it clearly does and does everything i want it to.

This is a big deal for me, it saves us a lot of money in the medium term. So i'm keeping FCS3 on our PowerPC machines until such time as i start encountering show-stopping problems with it.

An update to FCS will probably break it eventually. Like you said, Apple won't support it, so for major production houses, this is not a good idea to persue. But we're in Education, we can afford to test these things and hope that they work. We can't afford machine replacements though, ha :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Rennie KlymykRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 9:19:03 pm

Way to go Ben, it's refreshing to see someone "thinking outside the box"!

I've been using FCP since version 1 on a G3 but I try to skip upgrades and just buy every other one. I'm not a full time editor, I'm a one man band who shoots and edits. I've been living with fcs1 on a dual 2GHZ up to now. Wouldn't you know FCP6 and FCS2 would be the ones I'd be trying to skip:( . My next computer will be a lap top so I can't afford to replace my PPC too. I'll likely give this a try.

"thou can not stir a flower without crumbling a star" ......Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 10:17:26 pm

Also why would there be a 2ghz limit on ppc if they had not planned for ppc?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:44:08 pm

It's obviously a conspiracy. The can be no other explanation.

Beam me up Scotty!

Thanks,

AL J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy FieldRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 11:41:39 pm

the reason to have it run on G-5

1 - so all your Final Cut seats are the same version -- exchanging newer files (on your intel FCS3) with older versions of Final Cut won't work.

2 - saving dough on upgrading a bunch of perfectly working G-5 computers

if it works without any problems - why not do it?

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Aug 1, 2009 at 12:31:01 am

[Andy Field] "
if it works without any problems - why not do it?"

That' the rub. Since Apple didn't test on PPCs (G5), who's to say it will work with no problems?

Shane

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hamish LancasterRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 2:48:43 pm

If we are just throwing out crazy ideas... (based only on the fact it wasn't tested on G5's)
Who's to say it wont run with LESS problems compared to FCS2 when it WAS officially supported.
Motion has had bugs all over the place for years, I am tempted to try FCS3 on my Quad G5 just to see i how it compares. It might be less buggy, no way of knowing if I don't give it a try. wheres the harm in finding out?

I feel sorry for the Apple staff who didn't have any G5's hanging round to test on anymore, G5's are like, awesome. they are friends for life. don;t let anyone tell you different...

when I found out the apparent 'fact' that FCS3 was intel only I felt like Apple had killed a member of my family: RIP QUAD CORE G5 2005-2009

But maybe there is hope after all...

I've never got any form of 'support' from apple when using the 'supported' hardware/software combination anyway what difference will there be now? try and understand for some people
investing in a system like a G5 is not something they planned to have to re-do only a few years later
due to apple building intel in secret for 5 years...

I have access to a macbook pro and mac pro here in my home office thanks to my partners excellent taste in her own Hardware, but If my Quad G5 can run FCS3, and the project files between these machines could talk to one another... why not let it continue to live?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 10, 2009 at 5:51:31 pm

I have to agree with you about that whole family thing. Please let me know your results when installing on your quad.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Post removed.

by on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:10:31 pm

FCS3 intel only? [Steve Lies] Motion 4 on G5 test = Success!

Despite Apple's attempt to make me consider my perfectly decent G5 Quad Core Obsolete...FCS3 does indeed work on my machine.

Here is a picture of the thread apple 'removed' when I asked for further info on the possible PowerPC compatibility reported by some: http://files.me.com/lucidmotion/ybljnh

Happy to test any specific functions for G5 compatibility, just send me suggestions and I'll report back.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zane BarkerRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 7:22:02 am

[Ben Pirouet] "We have 30 Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5ghz machines at work which are more than capable, and if Final Cut Studio 3 works on PowerPC machines"

Do you really want to risk doing a hack install on that many computers. When things go south because you did not follow the system requirements you are going to have one BIG massive migraine on your shoulders. And of course Apple will be no help to you because you didn't pay attention to the system requirements and ran a hack so you could install.

[Ben Pirouet] "Anyway I'm not even hacking the software itself"

Its still a hack, a hack is anything that makes software do something that it would not normally do. FCS3 by it self will not install on a PPC machine so you are hacking the install.

I gather you work at a educational facility. Do you really want the faculty and students all mad at you because the systems all stopped working because you hacked the install of some software that should not be running on those machines.

Play it safe, save yourself a MASSIVE headache and ether stick with FCS2 or get new Intel machines.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt CallacRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 3:53:48 pm

[Ben Pirouet] "As long as FCS3 works on both Leopard and Snow Leopard, it doesn't matter if our Intel machines are upgraded to SL, and our PowerPC machines are kept on Leopard, we just want to be able to transfer FCP7 projects between PowerPC and Intel machines"

Not necessarily...there'll likely be a point update for leapord users...which would put your machines on different versions of software. If memory serves me correctly...even the point updates can screw you over sharing projects.

But...the most important thing about running FCS 3 on an intel is that it's NOT SUPPORTED... that doesn't mean it won't work or you can't do it. It just means Apple does not support it so you can't get any apple help if you run into trouble.

-mattyc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christian TownerRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on May 2, 2011 at 11:13:36 pm

Ben, I used your advice on installing FCS3 with Pacifist but the programs won't run. Is there anything I can do to make them run?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Doug DruryRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:04:56 am

Can anyone list the packages that have to be installed by pacifist to get FCP7 and Motion working? I don't need all the other stuff. I have installed FCPCore pkg and FCP package, but keep getting 'shot down unexpectedly' error. Any info would be helpful. I used pacifist and opened the installer package which then showed me the individual packages.

Thanks for any info.
Doug

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 31, 2009 at 9:43:55 pm

Can you please confirm the deal with all of the other apps. We need to know how stable everything else is and if the features work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Zane BarkerRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:30:41 am

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "A lot of times the installer will limit you however once the app is installed you can just drag it right into an older machine and launch it with no trouble "

You absolutely CANNOT do that with pro apps like FCS. FCS installs a LOT of components into the Operating system itself. Just as an example all the codecs that come with FCP are not contained on the application it self.

If you did move the apps themselves over the programs would not run properly at all.

Now Ian, you have made it quite clear that you really really want to run the new software on your old PPC Mac. And like so many people here have told you its just not going to work.

Ether stick with FCP 6 for a while longer or get a new Mac.

Apple cannot keep supporting old hardware forever, doing so limits the improvements that they can make in the new software.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Timothy HabrockRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 7:51:27 pm

Zane, while I can appreciate your persistence and insistence that FCP 7 not be run on a PPC, please let those of us whose goal is to try to use it in that way have our discussion. Your opposition has been noted again and again and again and again...

Bottom line, if FCP 7 absolutely can NOT run on a PPC, we will soon come to that same conclusion on our own without you berating us.

If it is possible to run on a PPC, as seems to be the case based on other people's experiences, then your berating us serves no purpose as it will not stop us from trying.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 1, 2009 at 8:00:18 pm

[Timothy Habrock] "If it is possible to run on a PPC, as seems to be the case based on other people's experiences, then your berating us serves no purpose as it will not stop us from trying. "

Fair enough. But in return, I ask that anyone who insists on running FCP 7 on a PPC machine clearly state that in any request for assistance from this forum.

As in, "FCP 7 running a G5 Dual 2.0" somewhere in your question or in the system setup, so the moderators and anyone else who attempts to assist in your issue will know immediately that you are not running on a supported setup.

Ok?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:44:11 pm

You are as bad if not worse than apple.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 1, 2009 at 11:12:38 pm

[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] "You are as bad if not worse than apple. "

I take that as a compliment in this thread.

But yeah, I'm horrible. I just hang out on this forum and others completely free of charge, completely volunteering my time to help folks figure out problems with FCP and teach them some new tricks. I'm definitely worse than Apple, I don't even charge folks for this!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt UncapherRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:53:47 pm

I've got FCP 7.0 running on my Apple IIe :) LOL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben BunchRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:25:12 am

Got it working just fine on a G5. :)

The app starts, haven't done much testing with it but it seems to be working. Still installing the rest of the studio.

Are people still interested in doing this? I can post directions as I figure it all out...I am not sure if instructions are already on the net elsewhere, I just sort of dived into doing it myself without checking much.

Screenshot:
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8895/fc7ong5.jpg

UCSC Film Student
Editor, Director, Cinematographer
http://www.vimeo.com/benbunch

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:14:50 pm

You bet man....fill us in.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben BunchRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:49:33 pm

I'm still working on it and will create a tutorial but basically it involves installing bit by bit from the included PKG files instead of the installer, and going in and deleting the install check script in the pkgs. I also used an intel mac with it installed on it to transfer some of the app support and framework files, but again I am still working on this. Am going back to work on Friday and will work on it some more, and write some more concrete instructions.

UCSC Film Student
Editor, Director, Cinematographer
http://www.vimeo.com/benbunch

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:25:51 pm

I have been keeping track of the more interesting threads about running FCS2009 on G5's
here: gackinto5h.com

the 2 major threads of discussion are:
at support @ apple
and
at macrumors

by reading both threads you will see what can and cannot be done, most things can however,
and you do not need to install diurectly from packages, you can create a custom G5 enabled DMG
that will install as normal by removing a few lines of 'intel' reference from the main installer.

My G5 is still kicking, running FCS2009 very well, dont need to splash out on new gear just yet :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fred KovachRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 6:21:40 pm

Newbie here.

Have you written up a tutorial? I ran pacifist for the first time, but am not clear as to what to do next. Can you shed some light on that?

Thanks!
Fred

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Doug DruryRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:12:08 am

I figured it out. I was missing the XSKey.pkg.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:11:19 pm

Anyone want to buy my old G5? I just upgraded to FCS3 on a new 2.9 nehalem dual quad screamer - 16 gigs and straight to Snow Leopard ready for the exciting world of 64 bit, which I can be pretty sure won't run on the old G5.

Like Walter, I don't charge for advice on this forum, but my time is money and I will pay for the new machine in productivity improvement alone long before this box is close to obsolete.

I have no problem moving on from the G5. I have had five years of use from it but the past year has seen savvy clients wondering why renders take so long and why Color won't perform on my old graphics card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:15:08 pm

$50?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter BaumannRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:10:03 am

Did anyone run into trouble while using the Share>BluRay feature when running FCS3 on a powerPC ?

- Pete

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Timothy HabrockRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 5:39:08 pm

Depends on how you define "trouble" - I personally have been having trouble, as in the option is not there.

First, let me state that I am fully aware that running FCP 7 on a PPC is unsupported.

That being said, I AM running it on a PPC with very few problems. The only thing I have noticed is that I am missing BluRay from the "Share" menu list. I have all the other options (AppleTV, DVD, etc...). I am not sure if this is a side-effect of running it on a PPC or if this is an install issue.

Is anyone else running this on a PPC able to verify the presence or absence of the SHARE → BluRay option?

I would love to update to a newer Intel Mac, but that is not an option at this time, so I "make the best of what's still around."

Thanks,

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne HendersonRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on May 6, 2010 at 6:37:50 pm

I see this thread went dead last Christmas, but I'm having the exact same problem - no "Blu-ray" on the Share menu in FCP and no blu-ray burning in Compressor. Otherwise, FCS3 appears to be working fine on my dual G5. Had to jump a few hoops to get there, but it works fine.

Was ANYONE able to do blu-ray burning using this unsupported installation of Final Cut Studio 3 on a PowerPC Mac? I've found several posts noting this problem and I assume this is now a known problem, along with the lack of AVC Intra due to that being Intel only. I suppose the ability to encode to H.264 for blu-ray might also be an Intel-only capability?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ashraf boushraRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on May 24, 2010 at 7:52:56 pm

hello,
can anyone help me with my G5 2.7 Dual PowerPC
and what i have to modify at RT Software Enabler.txt file to meet my machine
thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

stefan linkRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 10:22:16 pm

FCP 7 can run on a PPC if you modify the installer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2011 at 11:00:42 pm

I have used pacifist to install FCS3 on my Dual 2.5 PPC G5 but FCS3 programs will not start up. I click on FCS programs and they start to open but then shut down.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on May 2, 2011 at 11:04:28 pm

[Christian Towner] "I click on FCS programs and they start to open but then shut down.
"

It's working perfectly, just as it was designed.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew EliasRe: Final Cut Pro 7 on a PowerPC
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:42:03 am

I see a lot of smug derision at people trying to tinker with their machines, but not much help in this thread.

Here's how it looks from my end:

"Can't I use FCS3 on my G5?"

"Nope, won't work. Must be intel"

"Why not?"

"Won't work."

"I don't see why it wouldn't work."

"No intel, no worky. Unsupported. No codecs. blahblah"

"Well, that's odd, it works for me."

"You've just hacked it to install. It won't actually work. Why don't you just upgrade your entire server farm, or just use FCP2"

"Because I choose to try instead of just forking over thousands of dollars, and clearly others would like to do the same."

"Whatever, this and that won't work."

"No, they do work. I just tried them."

"Well, I know (like Shane is on the dev team over at Apple) it wasn't tested."

"It works fine."

"Well, don't ask us for help."

What a bunch of snide pr1cks.

Listen, what's it to you if people want to tinker with the machines they spent so much money on, only to be, quite frankly, left obsolete for no good reason? If you don't want to help, don't post, but don't poo-poo on people trying.

If your workflow is viable, then you can pick up a steal of a deal on an older machine and still work. Isn't that what it's about? Could you get the same stuff done with FCS2? Mostly, but that's not the point of a thread titled Final Cut Pro on a PowerPC.

Post Production Sound
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4845938/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2011 at 11:29:06 pm

u have to modify the FCP Installer - and then create a new DMG
if u need more help send me MSG

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2011 at 11:46:58 pm

Thanks Stefan. Yeah, I need help getting FCS3 running. I used pacifist to install FCS3 now it crashes when I start the program. What steps do I need to take to get FCS3 running?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2011 at 12:06:41 am

i could upload the modified installer if u want or u can have a look here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=755629&page=3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2011 at 12:16:06 am

Ok, upload the modified installer.

From what I've read here, in the forum you posted, they are saying that pacifist is the wrong way to go and xcode is the best way to install FCS3... Is that how you got it running?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2011 at 3:34:25 am

kind of, but without x-code
can u give me your e/mail so i can send you the downloadlink
and please allow me a few days

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2011 at 3:45:03 am

Thanks again, I appreciate the time. cjtowner@yahoo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

Coal AkidaRe: Final Cut Studio 3 on a powermac G5 - perfected
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:39:51 am

Hi, i have it down to a science on how to install the entire final cut studio 3 on to a powermac g5 quad or down to a Powermac G5 2.0 I call it the 105 steps to final solution.

Funny the hardest part was figuring out how to run in real time mode and not in safe mode in HD.

The answer would kind of come from searching through thousand of files and also steve jobs biography bless his heat and his diabolical ways, the book gave me a hint.

I have tested it out now on many computers and I got it to perfection.

I would like to thank everyone who found a piece of the puzzle, but than I would have to thank about 105 people as it was a puzzle of a lifetime ,

If anyone is still interested in getting it done right, give me a buzz and I will set you up on the road to the studio magic.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

joern wernerRe: Final Cut Studio 3 on a powermac G5 - perfected
by on May 2, 2012 at 12:47:46 pm

okay, thats very interesting 4 me. just on this hard topic i´m exasperating...
the hardware ist also an dual G5 ppc 2,5 GHz with liquid cooling... fcp is running but no way with the old hdv codec, no realtime, no import, export, only native projects are functional.. but for older projects is this rubbish.. an never mac is not possible cause the apple xserver-raid on it have apple-like-special interface-cards in pci which are no longer available for intel-macs cause they have only pci-express interfaces :(
if you have some instruction for my problem, maybe per mail or her? that´s great!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Create LumensRe: Final Cut Studio 3 on a powermac G5 - perfected
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 7:33:13 am

I also have Final Cut Studio 3 on a G5 working fine. Only problem is I have to enter my serial number every time I reboot. I looked for an id file in pro apps but none exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Coal AkidaRe: Final Cut Studio 3 on a powermac G5 - perfected
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 5:40:17 pm

THIS IS TRICKY SO TAKE A BREAK. J

First drag off the Houdini folder on to the desktop , than double click it. You should see this.

YOU WILL NEED THE HOUDINI APP TO REVEAL THE INVISIBLE FOLDER .

CLICK ON THE REVEAL BUTTON AND FIND THE HARD DRIVE YOU HAVE YOUR APPS ON.
SCROLL DOWN TO THE TMP FILE

NOW DRAG OR COPY THE ProAppsSytemID on to the Desktop.

Than close Houdini and were done with that program. We just needed that License File

Now, go to /Library/Application Support/ProApps place the file you copied from the /TEMP folder here.

Just drop it in by dragging it over the the ProApps folder and the LICENSE MYSTERY IS SOLVED. ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]