Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP issues exporting to Quicktime

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eric NewmanFCP issues exporting to Quicktime
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 1:41:30 am

Good Evening,

I recently tried to export a little project I was working on from Final Cut Pro to Quicktime Movie which I have done many many times without a problem. Then just the other day I attempted an export and only the audio would be in the Quicktime file when I opened it. I have re-tried this a number of times and still no success. Is there an update I need to do? Am I missing something regarding a setting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a MacBook Pro with FCP version 5.0.4

Thanks

Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Josh OlenslagerRe: FCP issues exporting to Quicktime
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 1:56:01 am

Eric,

are you using export using QT conversion or straight export QT movie? Double check that you have export both Audio and Video when the export box comes up -- also, is the export coming out with a black or white screen in a QT container or just the audio player? I'm assuming you've checked your sequence settings and also that your video tracks in the timeline aren't muted. What is your end export format? Is this for web by chance?

Not sure if there is an update for 5.0.4, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Best thing to try off the top is just checking all of your sequence and export settings. It sounds like there is a little something going on there.

Josh

Digital Media, Thought Equity Motion

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric NewmanRe: FCP issues exporting to Quicktime
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 2:59:12 am

Hello Josh,

Thanks for the response.

I copied your email and put my answers after your questions.

are you using export using QT conversion or straight export QT movie?
QT MOVIE

Double check that you have export both Audio and Video when the export box comes up -- also, is the export coming out with a black or white screen in a QT container or just the audio player?
AUDIO AND VIDEO both there, EXPORT is coming out with a BLACK SCREEN in QT CONTAINER.

I'm assuming you've checked your sequence settings and also that your video tracks in the timeline aren't muted. What is your end export format? Is this for web by chance?
SEQUENCE SETTINGS ARE 1440x1080, VIDEO TRACKS IN TIMELINE LOOK GOOD,
NOT FOR THE WEB, NOT SURE HOW I CHECK END EXPORT FORMAT...ISN'T THAT QT FORMAT?

Thanks for the help, hope to get this solved ASAP!

Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 22, 2009 at 2:55:38 pm

Eric,

It sounds like you're missing a codec plug-in if it's coming out with a black screen. I've seen this happen a number of times. If you're exporting uncompressed, you might need a blackmagic plug-in, or maybe an HDV update. It's weird though that you would be seeing the video in Final Cut, but not in Quicktime after you've exported. But it sounds like a codec issue since the video is blanked. Might just have to update Quicktime. Have you tried that? I suggest that you export a little sample using QT conversion into a different codec, like PhotoJPEG or something, just so that you can check that the video is actually being packaged with the audio. But try updating you Quicktime player first; that might just fix what you're seeing.

Good luck!

Josh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:02:46 pm

Hey Josh,

I ran the latest software update on the MacBook as well as exported something small using the QT Conversion which played the audio and video just fine. I have never had a "codec" issue before and I am afraid to mess with stuff that I am not all that familar with.
If you could give me an idea of what CODEC settings (if there are any) that I should have please let me know.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Eric

It sounds like you're missing a codec plug-in if it's coming out with a black screen. I've seen this happen a number of times. If you're exporting uncompressed, you might need a blackmagic plug-in, or maybe an HDV update. It's weird though that you would be seeing the video in Final Cut, but not in Quicktime after you've exported. But it sounds like a codec issue since the video is blanked. Might just have to update Quicktime. Have you tried that?

I suggest that you export a little sample using QT conversion into a different codec, like PhotoJPEG or something, just so that you can check that the video is actually being packaged with the audio. But try updating you Quicktime player first; that might just fix what you're seeing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:42:17 pm

Open up one of the Quicktime exports with the blanked video and hit cmd-I to open the information box. There is a "Format" line which contains your codec information. If you've deleted the bad exports, right-click your sequence tab in Final Cut and select "settings." The compressor setting in the tab "general" is your coding information. What is your setting?

Josh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:56:45 pm

HDV 1080i50 is the setting...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:36:11 pm

Hey Josh,

When I "Get Info" on the QT file it tells me the following for the Dimensions: 1080 x 1080
CODEC's: HDV 1080i50, Integer (Big Endian), Timecode

Let me know if that seems off or incorrect.

Thanks

Eric

It sounds like you're missing a codec plug-in if it's coming out with a black screen. I've seen this happen a number of times. If you're exporting uncompressed, you might need a blackmagic plug-in, or maybe an HDV update. It's weird though that you would be seeing the video in Final Cut, but not in Quicktime after you've exported. But it sounds like a codec issue since the video is blanked. Might just have to update Quicktime. Have you tried that?

I suggest that you export a little sample using QT conversion into a different codec, like PhotoJPEG or something, just so that you can check that the video is actually being packaged with the audio. But try updating you Quicktime player first; that might just fix what you're seeing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:48:13 pm

Eric,

That is absolutely right. It seems like your QT player is missing an HDV reader or something. You could try exporting a DVCproHD 1080i50 setting; that should work for you. HDV is not my favorite to work with, and I'm sure that a lot of people would agree. You might find a plug-in here, but if not just try exporting with a different codec:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html

Good luck!

Josh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2009 at 8:26:21 pm

i exported with the DVCproHD 1080i50 setting, I got the black screen in the quicktime and the following quicktime message:
"Additional software is required for quicktime to playback this media. It may be available from the Quicktime Components page."

When I go there I have no idea what I am looking at.

I do not have internet on the MacBook right now as I am at work writing you on my work PC. I will try your link when I get home.

Thanks again.

Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 23, 2009 at 8:43:41 pm

Eric,

The DVCpro HD codec comes only packaged with the studio software, so unless you've got FCP installed on you computer, chances of finding a plugin is slim -- I do think there are a few decoders that you can buy that can decode it. If you search the threads, I believe a link shouldn't be difficult to find. Not sure what's up with the HDV settings. It might be the same, but I'm not positive. The link I sent is the components link, so something might be there. I suppose the next step is to ask what your end use is going to be. If you export PhotoJPEG, which is a universal compression, you shouldn't have trouble with the video being blanked with any reader or any computer. If you need something beefier, you might have to go uncompressed, but plugins for this are relatively easy to find.

Josh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric LarsonRe: FCP issues exporting to Quicktime
by on Nov 19, 2010 at 2:50:53 pm

Simple fix, actually: Export from FCP in an Apple ProRes codec using Quicktime conversion. Quicktime Player will like that video just fine. For some reason, the standard FCP codec doesn't always play well in Quicktime, depending on the footage.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]