Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

16:9 to 14:9 - Final cut Pro Edit to tape

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Swalow badee16:9 to 14:9 - Final cut Pro Edit to tape
by on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:22:54 pm

Hi everybody,
I am working on a job shoot in a 16:9 aspect. My client need to delivery the project in 16:9 (that's ok) and in 14:9.
I founded different info about the 14:9 and they confuse me.
Finally I don't know how made my 14:9 - IN FINAL CUT PRO -

Need I only to delivery a 16:9 aspect ratio (Anamorphic) but put my text and other graphic in the 14:9 safe area.
- With the excellent free plugin from Andy's
http://web.mac.com/andymees/Free_and_Easy/main/Entries/2008/1/29_Andy%E2%80... -

Or made any other manipulation (let's me know)? - for example, put my timeline in a 4:3 timeline and follow the info that I found
Or create a 14:9 timeline (is it possible?).

For info I work in PAL - 720*576 - 16:9

Thanks for the answer

B.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex ElkinsRe: 16:9 to 14:9 - Final cut Pro Edit to tape
by on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:47:41 pm

I would imagine that what they mean is deliver it 14:9 safe, so just use Andy's Guides to make sure everything is within the 14:9 safe area. I'm not aware of people actually delivering in 14:9. Double check with the client though, because it sounds to me like they may be confusing 14:9 aspect ratio and 14:9 safe.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: 16:9 to 14:9 - Final cut Pro Edit to tape
by on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:55:30 pm

B
If you've set everything up 14:9 text/action/crop safe already then you should be able to take your 16:9 anamorphic master edit into Compressor and use the Geometry controls there to produce a letterboxed 14:9 master (set both Source Inset and Output Image Inset to Europe Standard 1.66:1)
That should get you there, though I'd agree with Alex inasmuch as most folks don't actually require 14:9 delivery just 14:9 safe.
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben HolmesRe: 16:9 to 14:9 - Final cut Pro Edit to tape
by on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:59:12 pm

Hi

If you're delivering for a broadcaster like the BBC, the requirement is for a 16:9 FHA (full height anamorphic) master with titles/captions in 14:9 CAPTION SAFE.

This does not mean producing a 14:9 master (I've never heard of that requirement btw), but keeping safe areas on the edge of the 16:9 frame. Sport is different, requiring 4:3 safe.

Have a look at this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/dq/pdf/tv/tv_standards_london.pdf

Hope that helps - obviously depends who you are delivering for. I'm unaware of any 14:9 presets in FCP, nor have I ever seen a programme finished in this aspect.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben HolmesRe: 16:9 to 14:9 - Final cut Pro Edit to tape
by on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:01:39 pm

Beaten to it - that's what happens when you answer a phone mid-post...

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Swalow badeeRe: 16:9 to 14:9 - Final cut Pro Edit to tape
by on Feb 10, 2009 at 4:01:59 pm

Thanks for the light

So my last observation will be

I can delivery a master with a 14:9 safe area in both aspect ratio 4:3 and 16:9

Is it right ?

Badee

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex ElkinsRe: 16:9 to 14:9 - Final cut Pro Edit to tape
by on Feb 10, 2009 at 5:04:18 pm

If you need to deliver both 16:9 AND 4:3 then you must keep all graphics 4:3 safe, unless you are allowed to letterbox the picture, i.e. your 16:9 video inside a 4:3 frame with black bars at top and bottom.

If you deliver one 16:9 master that you have kept 14:9 safe then you should be ok for 16:9 and 4:3 broadcast. Bottom line though is that you need to check with the channel that what you are doing is acceptable. They MAY require your graphics to be 4:3 safe. Check now to save yourself having to re-do graphics later, or just keep it 4:3 safe regardless for peace of mind.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]