Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Handbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Lisa RolleyHandbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:00:37 pm

Hey friends!

I need to RIP a bunch of DVD's to make an edit out of and I did an initial run through some of the dvd's in Handbrake with 2 sets of settings because i was not sure what FCP would like and have seen it take more than one kind of handbrake file.

Handbrake settings:

MPEG 4 - I made a custom setting where i just bump the quality to 100%

AVI - same thing just bumped quality all the way up.

The majority of the MPEG files are not accepted by FCP (only 1 works for some reason) but all of the AVI's work fine.

The resulting files are all .avi's @ 23.98 / Square pixel aspect ratio / compressor tab in FCP reads it as: DivX 6.0. I am running the latest version of fcp on an intel mac running tiger's latest version and I alo have PEIAN plugin for FCP Installed.

I have a majority that are 16:9 although some are 4x3.

16:9
851x472 = 2
720x400 = 18 separate file / chapters
849x362 = 2
704x400 = 2
716x364 = 1
640x368 = 1
624x352 = 1

4:3

676x480 = 1
640x480 = 8
680x513 = 1

My question for you folks is what sequence format would make the most sense to work in and what important details must I be aware of for this type of project?? I was thinking a DV sequence with Square aspect ratio and 23.98 fps timebase should be ok but what are your thoughts?

I know the look that I want is important so masking to add ltrbx to the 4x3 material is an option or using compressor to remove ltrbx is also an option...

any help would be great!

thank you

Lisa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris PoissonRe: Handbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:07:13 pm

Handbrake and FCP do not play well together. You are much better off using Mpeg Streamclip.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lisa RolleyRe: Handbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:13:29 pm

I do have mpeg streamclip but can you give some details about how to use it for ripping dvd's specifically for FCP??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul DickinRe: Handbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:09:24 pm

Hi
Use a proper fully featured QuickTime utility - MPEG Streamclip, rather than playing with a consumer iPod movie tool like Handbrake.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:15:05 pm

Damn well I have already done SO many chapters of like 15 films all in handbrake so i think i dont have time to do this process again right but if you guys can provide advice on what I DO have as well as what settings to use in Streamclip for the future that is what would be most helpful...

thank you

Lisa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cory CaplanRe: Handbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:21:08 pm

Lisa, if you do not wish to re-rip, then you can run them through compressor using ProRES 422 as the output format, and you'll be able to use those clips naitively in FCP. Although, as pointed out earlier, this is not the "best way" to do it.

In the past, I got okay results doing exactly that, ripping with handbrake (h.264 100% quality > compressor > FCP) but Streamclip will do it in one pass.. I'm not sure if it will work with copy-protected material, as I've never tried...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 9:38:08 pm

With due respect, running the Handbrake clips through Compressor to ProRes or uncompressed will work in FCP, but the quality will suck with the biggest capital "S" you've ever seen. I know, that's how I got burned with this stupid tool last year. Client forced Handbrake on me.

Lisa,

Streamclip is really easy, just open up the VOB files, and go to export/Quicktime, all the codecs are available including ProRes, and you can set your frame rate, everything. Totally viable tool for this.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cory CaplanRe: Handbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:16:08 pm

Paul, you may want to read Chris Poisonn's informative post, so you might learn how not to answer a question like a total Dickin.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:21:04 pm

Wow haha damn boys ok - so not sure if thats a diss to me or not i really do appreciate all of you taking time to err help me out...

just real quickly i did a test in streamclip just now with a dvd in tried open files and selected .vob files but it does not work and gives error messages suck as "file open error - cant fin video or audio"

I need to rip the video and audio together as one file with decent quality to work with in fcp...

thanks
Lisa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Handbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:21:49 pm

[Lisa Rolley] "I need to rip the video and audio together as one file with decent quality to work with in fcp... "

MPEG Streamclip like the others have said.

Export as a Quicktime movie of your choice and then bring that into FCP.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:30:11 pm

Hey Walter thanks for replying to my post

Firstly i have already done the ripping of dvd's with handbrake and no longer have the dvd's to wor with - I just need to do this project in the next day so I am asking for advice based on what i have to work with - i understand now what i should have done but really just was hoping you guys could address the frame sizes and formats and advise me on what my sequence should be.

Second, in terms of future use of MPEG Streamclip I guess i am just having trouble getting access to the files once i go to open file and look at the DVD - when i try to select a VOB file it just gives me that error message - what am i doing wrong??

thanks

Lisa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:41:49 pm

[Lisa Rolley] "Second, in terms of future use of MPEG Streamclip I guess i am just having trouble getting access to the files once i go to open file and look at the DVD - when i try to select a VOB file it just gives me that error message - what am i doing wrong?? "

I just always select the first video file, something like VO_1 and let MPEG Streamclip open it from there.

If you have a copyright disc with copy protection on it, then this won't work, nor should it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 11:19:49 pm

Still having trouble with MOEG STREAMCLIP - i have tested it on a few dvd's - of course they are all probabaly protected as most are BUT it seems that most if not all of you guys have suggested using this over Handbrake...i go to file open and then try each of the diff files (i.e. VOB,IFO, etc) i keep getting the same error code - what am i doing wrong??

any help would begreat beacuse for the future i want to do this correctly.

thanks
Lisa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: Handbrake>FCP - Format questions & concerns
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 11:26:13 pm

If the disc is protected you will get the error message.

google Mac the Ripper.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 11:46:02 pm

[Lisa Rolley] "Still having trouble with MOEG STREAMCLIP - i have tested it on a few dvd's - of course they are all probabaly protected as most are BUT it seems that most if not all of you guys have suggested using this over Handbrake."

If they are protected they won't open. If they are protected and you or your client are not the copyright owner, you should not be ripping them to edit with anyway.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 9:07:33 pm

Hi Cory
Tell me please what mind-reading software do you use to read a post made while you are preparing a reply?
Chris Poisson on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:07:13 pm
Paul Dickin on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:09:24 pm

Sorry you're so out of sorts today - I hope Ron L doesn't hold it against you :-(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 9:46:03 pm

That kind of thing happens here all the time. My usual comeback (as least in my own mind) is, "Is there and echo in here?"
LOL!

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 10:26:23 pm

ok so I dont really get the jokes / sarcasm and nobody actually addressed my question so I'am little bummed at this point. Usually love reading and posting to this site - a lot of helpful info and great people here.

in terms of the ethics lesson on copyright issues...DVD's which are copy protected are ripped all the time for purposes other than bootlegging the material - people use them for pitching ideas and all types of stuff on a daily basis.

thank you all for taking the time to respond regardless of whether or not it was insightful or helpful in any way.

Lisa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 10:55:33 pm

[Lisa Rolley] "nobody actually addressed my question..."
Hi
Since you didn't tell us what delivered end-product you are trying to edit for (broadcast/DVD/web), we can't tell you how to prepare your ripped movies - each format requires a different type of FCP setting.

"FCP reads it as: DivX 6.0"
Like MPEG-2/4 movies, that isn't an edit-friendly codec, so is probably worse as a source file than native MPEG-2 movies straight out of the VOBs.

"I was thinking a DV sequence with Square aspect ratio,,,"
DV doesn't work that way - its a non-square pixel codec through and through.

MPEG Streamclip has good rescaling functionality, so if you can't rip the DVDs again, then use Streamclip to resize all you movies as it Exports them to the appropriate format for your edit Sequence.

Use the Anamorphic check button for your wide-screen movies if you are editing for a non-web delivery.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2009 at 11:01:46 pm

Thank you so much for responding and answering my questions - you rock sir.

Sorry i neglected to say what this was for - all the movies will be in one edit which is just for a pitch via Web & DVD so its not for broadcast at all.

take care and thank you again for your time.

best
Lisa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]