Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Hook up external TV monitor to FCP through DVI to S-Video/RCA converter

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nina HirtenHook up external TV monitor to FCP through DVI to S-Video/RCA converter
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 8:28:22 pm

As you know, most Mac Pros come with with two DVI outputs. I have one hooked up to a computer monitor, and I bought a DVI to S-Video/RCA (out) specifically to hook up my cheapo TV so I can monitor analogue while I edit.

All this said, the computer is completely not seeing the tv. I've tried FCP settings (it should pop up in the A/V settings, right?) and the system preferences. Did I just wast my money on a converter that won't work or am I totally missing something?

------
Nina Helene Hirten

Oh Just Peachy Studios

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd BeaboutRe: Hook up external TV monitor to FCP through DVI to S-Video/RCA converter
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 11:04:39 pm

Be sure to go to "Displays" under System Preferences and setup that display to the 640x480 setting. It is probably trying to send a larger signal to that display via the DVI out. You might also try clicking the "Detect Displays" button. Can't say for sure what that will do, but I think it worked when I setup my HDTV to my Mac Mini at home.

Hope this helps.

-Todd Beabout
Vazda Studios

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FishbackRe: Hook up external TV monitor to FCP through DVI to S-Video/RCA converter
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 11:11:40 pm

First make sure you have the correct DVI cable. There are a number of flavors. That said, the converter may not like the DVI out of your Mac or your Mac may not recognize the converter. The fact you don't see the converter in the AV settings doesn't sound good.

You might want to try an inexpensive i/o card like the Intensity Pro that has analog i/o and HDMI. http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nina HirtenRe: Hook up external TV monitor to FCP through DVI to S-Video/RCA converter
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 5:04:30 pm

I just did some research to find that the Intensity Pro only works on MacPros with PCIe and PCI-x motherboards— as far as I can tell, my computer only has PCI... Can you recommend me another piece of hardware that would work on my computer?

thanks!

------
Nina Helene Hirten

Oh Just Peachy Studios

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zane BarkerRe: Hook up external TV monitor to FCP through DVI to S-Video/RCA converter
by on Jan 9, 2009 at 4:19:12 am

[Nina Hirten] "I have one hooked up to a computer monitor, and I bought a DVI to S-Video/RCA (out) specifically to hook up my cheapo TV so I can monitor analogue while I edit."

Problem with hooking it up via the DVi port is that the TV is going to act like a Computer monitor NOT like a video monitor.

[Nina Hirten] "I've tried FCP settings (it should pop up in the A/V settings, right?)"

Because you have hooked it up as a computer monitor it will NOT show in FCP as a it would if it was connected like a video monitor (ie like when you view via sending out to a video camera/deck)

Do you see anything on the TV screen at all?
Does it show up in system preferences as another computer monitor?

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nina HirtenRe: Hook up external TV monitor to FCP through DVI to S-Video/RCA converter
by on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:14:18 pm

There's nothing on the TV screen at all and I've already tried the "Detect Displays" option. I was AT LEAST hoping that the TV would act like another computer monitor but this is not the case. I guess it is the wrong type of DVI... is there an easy way to find out what kind of DVI plug is what?

In any case, obviously I just need to bite the bullet and buy a real i/o card. :( arg I was just looking for a cheaper alternative.. when you're a student it's hard to find the money that you have to spend to make it back!

------
Nina Helene Hirten

Oh Just Peachy Studios

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]