Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

To deinterlace,or not to deinterlace

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chad MayeuxTo deinterlace,or not to deinterlace
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:02:01 pm

Every week at work I get handed a dvd of last Sunday's services from a local church that I then rip, edit down to 60 minutes and schedule to play on a local access channel. First I rip the footage from the dvd, I copy the VOB video files and convert it to DV footage using MPEG streamclip and then import that resulting file into a FCP timeline. There I trim it down to 60 minutes and then export it to compressor and compress it using an MPEG-2 encoder. There is always the option within compressor or MPEG streamclip to deinterlace the footage. My question is, at what point would it be worth deinterlacing, if at all? Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: To deinterlace,or not to deinterlace
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:13:56 pm

It would be worth doing only of you wish to sacrifice 50% of the vertical resolution of your video.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad MayeuxRe: To deinterlace,or not to deinterlace
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:16:12 pm

So is deinterlacing SD footage ever worthwhile? Should I keep all interlaced footage as so or does it depend?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: To deinterlace,or not to deinterlace
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 3:00:27 pm

[Chad Mayeux] "So is deinterlacing SD footage ever worthwhile?"

Not if you're broadcasting material that was shot interlaced.

[Chad Mayeux] "Should I keep all interlaced footage as so or does it depend?"

If you're cutting interlaced clips into a project that is progressive, then deinterlace. If you're compressing interlaced material for the web it can make sense in some, but not all situations. For example, if your Web video is going be 50% smaller than your original video size, deinterlacing should not be necessary.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ed DooleyRe: To deinterlace,or not to deinterlace
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 3:01:35 pm

Not necessarily true. Yes you'll lose the resolution if you use the simple de-interlace filter in FCP (and many other programs). If, however, you use Frame Controls in Compressor (do a search of this forum and you'll find lots of instructions), you do not lose res, the fields get blended. There are 3rd party products that do the same thing (Nattress has one).
Having said all that, I wouldn't deinterlace unless you need to (like for the web for example), the program's going out to TV? Leave it interlaced.
Ed

[David Roth Weiss] "It would be worth doing only of you wish to sacrifice 50% of the vertical resolution of your video."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad MayeuxRe: To deinterlace,or not to deinterlace
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 3:06:30 pm

Ok, that is much more clear! Thank you David and Ed for your help! Slowly but surely I am getting a handle on some of the technical aspects of this industry. I have a lot to learn still! Again Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]