Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Audio Sync Problems with Video recorded in QT Pro (iSight)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matt ConnerAudio Sync Problems with Video recorded in QT Pro (iSight)
by on Aug 25, 2008 at 10:56:21 pm

HI,

Wondering if anyone knows a fix to getting long movies (10 minutes+) recorded straight from QuickTime Pro (w/iSight camera at Best h.264 setting)to sync with audio in Final Cut. I use FCP 6.04 and the quicktime files have been a BIG nightmare to work with. I've tried all sorts of sequence settings and nothing is really working. It seems that the audio starts off lined up right, but then as time goes on ( a minute or so), everything gets out of sync...Please let me know if you can help!

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRondeRe: Audio Sync Problems with Video recorded in QT Pro (iSight)
by on Aug 26, 2008 at 5:03:39 pm

H.264 is more of a final delivery codec rather than an editing codec. You're going to want to capture that video using something else... and NOT mp4 or mpeg2, either.

When dealing with video -- and you want that video to look good -- get used to really big file sizes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt ConnerRe: Audio Sync Problems with Video recorded in QT Pro (iSight)
by on Aug 26, 2008 at 5:47:46 pm

Dave,

Thanks so much! This is the fix. I was wondering why the file sizes were so small before.

Thanks again,

Matt Conner

Producer
TechWebTV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Blake WiersRe: Audio Sync Problems with Video recorded in QT Pro (iSight)
by on Feb 8, 2009 at 1:59:36 am

Hey Fellas---To add: I'm having the same problem...but...I'm already using the "raw/device native" setting in QT Pro to capture off the iSight cam...and when I bring it into FCP 6.04, the video loses sync.

It feels as if FCP might be turning the 30fps QT video into 29.97, because the audio is taking longer to play than the video, but the clip's overall length is the same.

Any solutions or workarounds or do-it-this-way-you-numbskulls would be most helpful! The only thing I can think of is going in clip by clip and either speeding up the audio or slowing down the video...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dane CannonRe: Audio Sync Problems with Video recorded in QT Pro (iSight)
by on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:37:50 am

I'm having the same problem, and for the life of me, i can NOT figure this out! I recorded using QT Pro on the best h.264 preset (when I do the native preset, it only records at 7.5 fps). Based on the QT movie inspector, it's a 30 fps 640 x 480 QT movie, made using the h.264 codec. Great. Doesn't work... the only way that it has worked is for me to export, using Mpeg Streamclip, a DV mov file (640 x 480, 30 fps), which i then imported into FCP, and lined up with an AIFF (the video is someone lip synching). I changed the sequence settings to 30 fps, and it was still going out of synch, so I matched their lips to the audio of the AIFF right near the end of the clip and changed the speed so those 2 points would end up... it ended up being 100.15%, and that works. NEVERTHELESS, geeeeeeeze, i mean its QT pro -- you think you could just bring that stuff right into FCP and not have problems, right? Did I do something wrong?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Blake WiersRe: Audio Sync Problems with Video recorded in QT Pro (iSight)
by on Feb 24, 2009 at 5:03:25 pm

You would think Apple would have it bulletproof, right? Record on the iSight, edit in FCP, no problem....but....

Reading around on Apple's support sight, the best info I found is that the iSight camera/QT Pro does all kind of trickery to record a decent image, like changing shutter speeds, frame rates, etc, during the recording. And as a result, sometimes the audio and video sync suffers.

That said, I actually found that while the playback of the QT movie (I recorded "native" because when I recorded in h.264, the video was too choppy, like a series of semi-stills) in my FCP viewer window went out of sync over the course of a clip, once I actually chopped up the clip into a timeline (I'm only using short bits) the sync wasn't as bad.

The best bit of advice I've read is to record in "native" in a brightly-lit setting, which makes it easier on the computer. That said, it is really surprising that with the popularity of vlogging that Apple is putting out disfunctional software/hardware!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Audio Sync Problems with Video recorded in QT Pro (iSight)
by on Feb 24, 2009 at 7:17:57 pm

[Blake Wiers] "...it is really surprising that with the popularity of vlogging that Apple is putting out disfunctional software/hardware! "

Well, now, the shoe is on the other foot!

You don't know how many times Apple has released new versions of Quicktime only to accommodate new capabilities for iThis, iThat, iWhatever.... and it's totally hosed people who capture and edit in FCP exclusively.

While I feel your pain, I can't really get all worked up about it. From the revelations in this thread, it now seems that Apple believes in Equal-Opportunity sabotage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]