Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE LIVETYPE:HomeLiveType ForumFinal CutFinal Cut Tutorials

Why does my graphic look like its poor quality? Pixelated?

COW Forums : Apple LiveType

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Austin SteeleWhy does my graphic look like its poor quality? Pixelated?
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 7:20:34 pm

When I import my Livetype file in to Final Cut, it looks pretty poor quality and pixleated. Its by no means terrible, but when you view it on a TV monitor, you can clearly tell that its not right. Any way to fix this? Change my settings in FCP or Livetype? Thanks!!

This is what it looks like. You can see the problem if you look close. But it looks much worse on the big monitor...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bruce WittmanRe: Why does my graphic look like its poor quality? Pixelated?
by on Apr 3, 2009 at 2:10:38 pm

I am having the same problem. And it doesn't matter whether I set my sequence for odd or even field dominance or even none. It all looks OK on the computer monitor, but pixelized on my NTSC monitor.
Here's an interesting note: When I bring in older LiveType files (created before updating to Leopard, FCP 6 and LiveType 2.1.3) the same fonts look great. But if I alter the older LiveType file with new text, the fonts go bad again. I can't tell if it's a LiveType issue or a FCP issue. Any suggestions out there?

Best wishes,
Bruce Wittman
Eagle Video Productions
http://www.eaglevideo.com

Bruce Wittman
Executive Producer

Eagle Video Productions, Inc.
2201 Woodnell Drive
Raleigh, NC 27603-5240

Email: bruce@eaglevideo.com

pho: 919-779-7891
cel: 919-818-5556

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sjon UeckertRe: Why does my graphic look like its poor quality? Pixelated?
by on Apr 3, 2009 at 5:40:29 pm

This usually happens when the settings between FCP and LT don't match. The older fonts are pixel based and the new ones are vector graphics. I have noticed this in the viewer window in FCP when it is set to an odd size (33%, 69% or something odd like this), and usually clears up at 50% or 100%. The main issue is the settings.

Sjon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bruce WittmanRe: Why does my graphic look like its poor quality? Pixelated?
by on Apr 3, 2009 at 6:57:02 pm

Hello Sjon,

You said the older fonts are pixel-based and the newer fonts are vector-based. Are you saying the older version of LT has pixel-based fonts and the newer version of LT is vector-based?

Bruce

Bruce Wittman
Executive Producer

Eagle Video Productions, Inc.
2201 Woodnell Drive
Raleigh, NC 27603-5240

Email: bruce@eaglevideo.com

pho: 919-779-7891
cel: 919-818-5556

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig WhiteRe: Why does my graphic look like its poor quality? Pixelated?
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 8:35:07 pm

I've completed two edits with titles today: same camera, same settings, same everything...except for the font I chose for the titles. The first project - no problems, looks great. Second one - exactly what's been reported here: my titles look like moths have got to them.

I suppose the frustrating thing, certainly for me, is that when I view the title sequence on its own after export it's crystal clear. It's only once in FCP that the quality degrades.

Is there a quick way to tell old fonts from new ones? Or anyway to strip out or replace them with vector-ize equivalents? I'd rather know before I start work what I should be avoiding rather than having to re-do everything once I'm back into FCP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ann ClarkRe: Why does my graphic look like its poor quality? Pixelated?
by on May 4, 2009 at 8:10:08 pm

I use FCP 6.0.4 and LiveType 2.1.3 and have been having a similar text issue.

One thing to check for is if your FCP setting is DV (720 X 480) then you need to reset your LiveType sequence to be NTSC DV 3:2 in the Project Properties.

The cure to the poor quality text seems to be this setting. LiveType apparently defaults to CCIR 601 NTSC 40:27 - which didn't match my DV settings on FCP - so the Project Properties have to be changed for each LiveType project. The default setting apparently makes the LT file 720X486, hence the uncomfortable mismatch between Livetype and FCP.

One more thing, check the size of the LiveType sequence in FCP (under the Motion tab). Be sure it is at 100% scale and centered on the screen (0,0). Importing a LiveType at the mismatched setting makes it come in at something like 99% and usually off-center - adding to the text woes.

A word of caution, I tried making NTSC DV 3:2 the default in LiveType. Mistake! Crash-crash-crash. So now I leave the settings at the default, but change it to NTSC 3:2 for each Livetype sequence. A lumpy workaround, to be sure, but it's what I do to keep the quality high and the crashes low.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]