Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Best Blu ray burner compatible with mac?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jarrod hurwitzBest Blu ray burner compatible with mac?
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:31:03 pm

Hi

I've been searching for a compatible external blu-ray burner for my imac. They all seem to be PC based. I tried calling mac-support and they advised posting here to see if anyone has experienced this.
If you have recently bought one for a mac - could you please advise me on what the different options are?

and then...

Re: exporting for blu ray, which is best?

1)straight from fcp x
2)through compressor

Thanks in advance
Jarrod

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: Best Blu ray burner compatible with mac?
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:53:56 pm

I've been happy with both LaCie and LG external BD burners on my Macs.

Compressor, I use Matrox MAX to encode H.264 in real time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jarrod hurwitzRe: Best Blu ray burner compatible with mac?
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:07:56 am

Thanks so much for the response.

Is this the Lacie? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/901233-REG/LaCie_9000282_d2_Blu_ray_X...

Can you please send the link for the LG?

Re: compressor settings, is this a template provided in compressor 4?
(I apologize for all the basic questions, this will be my first blu-ray burning..)

Again, I really appreciate it

Jarrod

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: Best Blu ray burner compatible with mac?
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:07:19 am

Not sure of the exact model number on the LaCie, but it was similar to that one. Mine was a couple years old and I've since given it to a colleague.

One of my LGs, is model number- LG be12lu38 I think the other one is slightly newer. They have eSATA and USB.

From my experience with those three BD Burners on a Mac Pro and a MBP, its simple plug and play, hot-plugable, no hassle. If I recall correctly, the LGs burn significantly faster than the LaCie did.

The Matrox MAX thing is a hardware device that works with Compressor to encode H.264 files much faster. It comes with presets for Compressor. There is a less expensive option, Elgato turbo, but I have no experience with it. If you won't be doing a lot of long form h.264 stuff, probably neither are even necessary.

My suggested workflow would be to Export a Master File from FCPX, then bring that into Compressor and apply the Apple Blu-ray audio and video preset settings, in the Disc Burning folder. Add the Job action "Create Blu-ray Disc". Be prepared to wait much longer than you might expect.

Shortly after my first Blu-ray burn with that workflow, a 2 hour project, I bought Matrox MXO2 LE w/ MAX and never looked back.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

alan wishnoffRe: Best Blu ray burner compatible with mac?
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 2:20:01 pm

I am less sophisticated than all of you when it comes to burning a blu ray disc. I have worked with i-movie for years, and my goal is to burn either a standard DVD or blu ray disc based on HD video imported into i-movie in my i-mac from an HD camcorder.

So does anyone know any programs that will work to convert HD video in an i-movie so it can be burned on a standard DVD? I tried i-DVD and that was a miserable failure. Anyone have any experience with Roxio Toast?

If I go the blu ray route, how difficult is it to burn a blu ray disc from an i-movie on the Lacie or LG or perhaps other blu ray burners?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]