Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

External storage question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris BabbittExternal storage question
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:22:16 pm

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic for this forum. I didn't know where else to post it. I have an old Lacie firewire enclosure with a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80-gig drive inside. I would like to replace the drive with a new larger unit. Are the current ATA drives compatible with these older enclosures? I think it's about 10 years old.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris GordonRe: External storage question
by on Apr 1, 2012 at 2:01:32 pm

Technically you should be able to. Just get a Parallel ATA (PATA) drive and it should just plug right in. You may also see these labeled as ATA or some version of ATA100, ATA133, etc. A number of years ago, everyone started moving to serial ATA (SATA) and these are going to be the drives you will find everywhere now and that is NOT what you want. Here's a link from Newegg of PATA drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600...

Now the question is why? Depending on what your use case is for this drive and enclosure, you may get better bang for your buck just getting all new (something with SATA drive(s) inside). Just something to consider.

Disclaimer: You really need to check the details of the Lacie enclosure to know what it can take. You didn't post the exact model of the enclosure, so my answer above is based on what I've generally seen across other similar enclosures.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BabbittRe: External storage question
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 1:13:04 am

Thanks Chris. Makes perfect sense. It's a Lacie D2. Beautiful enclosure. I'd like to put it to better use. I'd forgotten about the difference between ATA (IDE) and SATA. Too bad. Technological advances are wonderful, but we pay for it with the obsolescence of our old gear.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]