Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Macbook Pro will NOT boot up after software update...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
beau cottingtonMacbook Pro will NOT boot up after software update...
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 5:31:16 pm

My Macbook Pro will NOT boot up after installing an update last night (last snow leopard update). It gives me the grey screen with the apple, then after about 2 minutes goes to the prohibatory "NO" sign. It does the same thing when trying to boot from my OSX CD. It will boot in safe mode though, I have repaired permissions several times and restarted but it did not fix it. I booted it up externally from my wife's system via firewire, ran disk utility, and diskwarrior 4.6, no fix. I am pretty sure the update is the issue, ran hardware diagnostics and everything is good. ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS??? HELP!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jean-Christophe BoulayRe: Macbook Pro will NOT boot up after software update...
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 5:45:46 pm

Have you tried booting in Verbose mode (command+V)? It'll usually hang on a particular line every time. Try copying that into Google or report back with it. Sounds like hardware trouble, though, so the timing may be a coincidence.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

beau cottingtonRe: Macbook Pro will NOT boot up after software update...
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:01:05 pm

I will try that next. Hardware issue is my main worry, however the drive seems to be functioning fine when accessed externally and safe mode functions great. In addition to that I ran the apple hardware diagnostic disk and it functioned fine and everything checked out good. Just for some reason it is blocking me from startup up from the OSX install disc.

I think it would have to be a seriously rare coincidence that I could have installed this update and had a hardware issue exactly when it tried to reboot. I am thinking the update could have had an error, even though it appeared to be successful. I have a later version OSX startup disc I got from work to try, and I also downloaded the updates to try and apply them locally. I am also going to try and boot up from an external drive to be sure I am not dealing with a drive going bad on me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jean-Christophe BoulayRe: Macbook Pro will NOT boot up after software update...
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:20:19 pm

It's the fact that you can't boot from the install disc that says hardware problem to me. That's a software constant. You did pretty much every hard drive check you could and an HDD issue would've surely been flagged. You can boot other hardware from your updated software. You can boot in safe mode and hardware diagnostics, which both omit to poll and load all your hardware at startup. It's all pointing in the same general direction. Can you boot your from wife's system drive in target disc mode from your computer? That would be worth checking. If not, it's another sign. If you can, it gets a little weird.

IMO, Apple hardware diagnostics isn't worth much more than the plastic disc it comes on. It's failed to flag many issues that I confirmed later. I even tested it on a system with a confirmed knackered graphics card and it passed with flying colours. Tracking down a hardware issue can be a true pain. If the issue persists, it may be worth putting your machine in the hands of a qualified tech, who'll have a much easier time of it. It costs money but your time is worth something too.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:25:29 pm

Thanks for your help I will let you know what I find... cheers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:02:15 pm

sorry for the double post I am pretty rookie here =)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: Macbook Pro will NOT boot up after software update...
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:45:43 pm

Did you boot into safe mode? Hold down C when starting up?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:14:54 am

Yes and Yes, safe mode works fine. And I tried to start up my wife's computer using my drive as the startup disc and it did the same shit, the "no" sign... So this just got weird. I am convinced it is software botch up. Trying to Reinstall prior versions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 4, 2011 at 4:30:30 am

I am back to full steam, this is what fixed my problem:

Symptoms: "Still waiting for root device" - NO sign; saveboot works (holding right shift on boot)

Solution:
After trying everything,

Disk utility (on safeboot, on install disk, on another mac)
DiskWarrior (on safeboot, on bootdvd, on anothert mac)
fsck (even advanced options)
pram reset
smc reset
etc. in all possible configuration, by even removing the disk from the unibody case and attaching it via USB to another mac.

I finally found a solution. These failures are always due to faulty BIOS settings or faulty kexts on OSX86. But since I am on a MacbookPRO, there is no BIOS.

Long speech short

Replace IOStorageFamily.kext in /System/Library/Extensions with one from a working mac, or from the installation disc using Pacifist, or whichever way you prefere.

Fix permissions and ownership, repair permissions with discutility. Remove caches.

And you are good to go.

I can imagine that sometimes other kexts may be the faulty ones. In such cases it is always good to analize verbose mode first.

This is how I managed to fix my problem without having to reinstall.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]