Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

MacMini 2010 unibody SuperDrive failing / acting up

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alan LangdonMacMini 2010 unibody SuperDrive failing / acting up
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:32:45 am

Is there a recall on 2010 unibody MacMini superdrives?

Let me describe from the start:
I purchased a Mac Mini in july 2010, possibly among the first unibody models:

Apple Mac mini Aluminum Unibody CTO Intel Core 2 Duo/2.4 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, 320 GB internal drive, internal Super Drive, no modem keyboard or mouse, Airport Extreme Card, Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

For the first year, occasionally, it would burn dvd disks in toast (9 and now 11) and occasionally, after successfully burning and verifying, when attempting to read the same disk in the same drive, the mac would claim the disk was empty !
When i purchased an external burner, for BD-R burning, I realized that those "empty" disks read fine on the external Lacie drive (pioneer).
So out of lazzyness, I kept burning on the external drive and never contacted Apple for a possible exchange.

Now recently, the drive has increased the times it fails to burn disks, as well as keeps claiming several properly burned disks to be "empty".
And once a few days ago, while burning, it started to spin like crazy and make a loud rotation noise, causing the macmini to even trepidate/vibrate on the smooth balanced surface it is resting on...!

So my question is: anybody else have this issue?
If so, is there a recall on the superdrive of those models (i am no longer under warranty, unfortunatelly).

Any help much appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: MacMini 2010 unibody SuperDrive failing / acting up
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:57:34 pm

If the disks work in the other drive but not the internal one you have, sounds like you have a faulty drive. It shouldn't do that.

The only other thing I can think of would be that maybe you're using cheap disks or got a bad batch that doesn't play well with your drive? Do all brands of disks do that?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]