Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Mac alternative to MS Outlook

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob ColeMac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:21:31 pm

I did the search, but found only older posts answering this question: I have lived on Outlook on a PC for a long time, and would like to find a robust Outlook alternative on the Mac, mainly so I can use my MBP on location.

I'd prefer an all-in-one solution, which will also allow for easy import of my Outlook files from the PC: Calendar, scheduling, address book, email, folders.

I'd also like something that I can eventually migrate to a cellphone, and would prefer something that would not tie me into the iPhone, should I wind up with an Android.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas Morter-LaingRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 11:36:33 pm

Mail?
A few points here: Microsoft did not make the outlook files particularly accessible for other programs, so importing everything may be a little tricky, but seeing as you're on outlook at the moment, if your email account is either imap or exchange then it will sync anyway so no worry. If you have an email which is with your Internet provider then please change to a more sensible one- I spend SO much time telling people this. Go Gmail, it's easier.

Anyway as for your other things like calendar, I'm not sure how easy this'll be, and it depends on what versions you have. http://lucaschan.com/weblog/2007/01/30/moving-outlook-calendar-items-to-mac... is an idea for what you need to be looking for though.

iCal can also sync with Android.

Basically, Apple have thought of everything, please don't be one of those users who buys Outlook for Mac because they're afraid of change; the combo of Mail, iCal and Address Book will take care of you.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris GordonRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:48:08 am

It may be a bit pricey, but what about just using Outlook? Office 2011 for Mac now includes Outlook (replacing Entourage). It looks like you can even just copy your PST files over to your Mac.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/outlook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zane BarkerRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:48:46 am

What's wrong with the Apps built into the Mac OS ie Mail, Address Book, and iCal. They work amazingly.

Ofcource Microsoft does make Outlook for the Mac.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:44:25 am

Please people stop recommending Outlook for mac.... nothing wrong with it, just dont understand why spend all that money for that programme when these days it gives you no advantages and doubles the price of office. :D

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 12:19:00 pm

I personally prefer Apple's built in tools (Mail, iCal, Contacts). I suggested Outlook for the Mac since that seemed to be exactly the solution the original user seemed to be looking for. As for price, I agree that it's a bit pricey for what you're getting, but if someone has a lot of data tied up in a PST it can be very tedious to convert to another format and the time spent doing the conversion (assuming you could otherwise be billing that time or doing other productive work) could offset the price of Office.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ModicaRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:15:06 am

One of our guys was a windows guy for a long time. He eventually made the leap to OS X completely and used OS X apps.
iCal, Address Book and Apple Mail integrate very nicely and sync with my phone (and will also sync with google).
If you really want to, you can go get MS Office 2011 and have the stuff you have now, but you can also use the built in tools and be very happy. You can automagically add things to your calendar and acknowledge meetings and add new contacts to address book. You can do it all from within Mail.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne CareyRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:17:58 pm

The problem with Mail is that its not setup for corporate environments. That is, it does not do Exchange servers at all. Your only choice is to use Entourage or Office 2011 for Mac. Microsoft was smart on this one... Apple is tight on their software and hardware, just as Microsoft is with their software.

Now, I do find it funny that my iPhone does Exchange mail just fine, BUT, MacOS X Mail cannot. Go figure.

If you don't fit into this category, you're fine with what you've got.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:22:06 pm

"The problem with Mail is that its not setup for corporate environments. That is, it does not do Exchange servers at all."

That is WRONG.

Mail has supported exchange for quite a few years now. Since 10.5 came out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:13:04 pm

Wayne, the latest OS upgrade, Snow Leopard, fully supports Microsoft Exchange and eradicated in most cases the need for Outlook. Entourage is horrible. The main reason still buy it is due to familiarity (a weak excuse imho) and for transferring from old accounts...

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:06:38 pm

Well... Let correct myself. It works with newer versions of Exchange Server. We are using Exchange 2003 on our servers and its a crap shoot at best using Mail for our corporate email. It disconnects and reconnects all throughout the day. I've spent hours trying to sync with our email server and I'm using all the same settings as with Entourage.

So, technically, yes, it does support Exchange but not fully. I have no issues or problems with my iPhone, though.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:33:39 pm

"We are using Exchange 2003"

I dont mean any offense by this but that's 8 years old and for software that is quite old. You would benefit in so many ways by upgrading.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:39:59 pm

Also, if it's going on and off as you describe, that doesn't sound like a problem with Mail. Software either works or doesn't, its not programmer play with your head intermittently. So I'd be surprised if there's not more afoot; what that sounds more like to me is that (ironically) Mail is just picking up on an issue more than entourage or something. Oh well, get a later version and all will be sorted.

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:43:26 pm

[Zane Barker] "I dont mean any offense by this but that's 8 years old and for software that is quite old. You would benefit in so many ways by upgrading."

Normally, I would agree totally with you, but my IT guy doesn't see it that way. His philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, there's only three Macs on our network and 45 PCs. PCs win this argument.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:49:28 pm

Yeah totally understand, I mean my old Mac Plus is still working so I use that for all my editing, and it only takes a few months to do anything... I mean why upgrade when it's still working how it used to huh?
Same with this new fangled Blue Ray stuff, I mean I'm still on Beta Max and it's FINE... Don't understand the fuss personally!
Thanks ladies and gents I'm here all week...
XD

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:28:05 pm

Yeah, you need Exchange 2008 for everything to work "magically". I'm stuck in the same spot at work. The exchange servers have been scheduled for upgrades for a number of years, but I guess a couple of thousand mail boxes and various corp acquisitions and divestitures keeps it on the back burner.

On the alternatives to Outlook, I've had great success using IMAP against exchange (assuming you can get that turned on) and have found it often to be faster than Outlook over MAPI. For the address book, it's just simple LDAP and I've had luck with both Thunderbird and Evolution when I was on a Linux workstation (before I was able to get a Mac at work). Calendaring is the one real challenge and forces me to Outlook via RDP or just using Entourage (currently).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:48:40 am

Exactly, Chris. This my point. Not all businesses live in fantasy world of all up to date software. Some of us live in the real world where our desktop systems are still running Windows XP and Server 2003. Alot of the corporate world is afraid of Windows 7 and Server 2008. Apple should have some understanding of this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:55:00 am

[Wayne Carey] "Alot of the corporate world is afraid of Windows 7 and Server 2008. Apple should have some understanding of this."

Why is it Apples fault. It might be a issue with of the OLD exchange 2003, have you thought of that.

I have even heard that there are some issues with the OLD exchange 2003 and the iOS devices.

Apple is a PROGRESSIVE company that moves forward. Apple does not even still support the OS that they released 8 years ago so why should Apple be required to support the software from another company that OLD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:52:10 am

We migrated our email system to Google Apps last week. The free version gives you up to 50 users and was set up in a night. It operates via exchange, pop, or imap. So far it's been flawless, and the web access is essentially gmail, but with your own domain name.

The best part is we don't have to have an engineer sit around maintaining a server.

It's perfect with apple mail, outlook, and iOS devices.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:03:15 pm

[Wayne Carey] "Exactly, Chris. This my point. Not all businesses live in fantasy world of all up to date software. Some of us live in the real world where our desktop systems are still running Windows XP and Server 2003. Alot of the corporate world is afraid of Windows 7 and Server 2008. Apple should have some understanding of this."

I was a sysadmin at Ford for a number of years. I was also at SGI working in engineering and acting as part of the release team (approving changes etc)

When you've got hundreds of people working on something, you can only release in controlled periods. Otherwise, it gets crazy as different changes step on each other. Everyone has a schedule for when they'll have their new feature or bug fix finished and they have to have some sort of framework to schedule against.

A lot of sysadmins see danger in change so they stay with what they have as long as they can. I think that makes sense for one release iteration, but more than one is asking for trouble.

For example, I can see people sitting at 10.5.8. If they are production and in the middle of something, that's OK. However if they are at 10.4.11, that's asking for trouble. Any systems running an OS that old should be used as appliances only, in situations that are known to be safe and working. They should not be redeployed because they will likely be broken.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:10:08 pm

Thank you, Steve. That is my point exactly. There would have been nothing wrong with a couple of older settings for the corporate environment. A little fore thought needs to be applied when creating programs that can be used in enterprise situations.

Of course, you can see Apple's enterprise development by the recent decision to get rid of the XServe rack mount boxes. That was real smart. (insert sarcasm here)

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:19:23 pm

Before Small Tree was doing shared storage and ethernet, we were doing infiniband for the PowerPC Xserve. We had released the product and were selling it for about 3 months when Apple announced they were ditching PPC. There was no Xserve replacement at the time and would not be for about 1.5 years. Since PPC was dead, people stopped buying. We had to scramble into another business or go under. I learned my lesson!

Of course, doing Inifiniband drivers for Mac helped us learn a lot of about how it all worked.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marcus EtingRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 5:33:57 am

I agree. If I have to use Outlook I'll run it inside of Virtual Box. Sometimes it's a bit buggy, but overall it works pretty well. It would be nice if everyone's e-mail services was just compatible with iCal and Mail.app

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David GagneRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:03:35 pm

Recommend to your IT that they switch to google for their email rather than upgrading to a newer exchange. Our company did, and it was the best move ever. Saved us tens of thousands of dollars and SO many headaches. If they do though, it's best if EVERYONE ditches outlook completely, and just uses a browser/mobile device to manage their email/calendar/contacts.

The only major thing missing is tasks, imo, and the benefits are huge! Any device, anywhere, no difficulty configuring clients, no exchange pain/stress.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:39:21 pm

This isn't so simple for an enterprise with a lot of security requirements not to mention legal and other similar challenges. For many companies there is a lot of proprietary information contained in emails (think intellectual property, merger/acquisition discussions, info that could contribute to insider trading, etc). Handing this all off to some outside company just won't work.

My point is that a solution that works for one shop and is a great thing may be impossible or a "resume updating event" in other settings.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David GagneRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:02:16 am

The reasons not to use mail or other client (besides mobile):

Consistency and cutting down IT needs.

There are bugs with mail/google apps integration, and if your company does a lot of shared calendars etc that doesn't work super well with iCal. It's so much simpler just to support the web platform and not worry about all the glitchiness of clients.

When we were researching google apps as an option, most people said the transition away from exchange was much much smoother if they boycotted client setups. People soon didn't miss their Outlook integration etc when they jumped all in on google apps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:49:36 pm

Why only use browsers? It's been working flawlessly with our Apple mail, and if you set up the gmail host as an exchange server on iphone mail - you get push :).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:16:05 am

I'll second that. I loath web mail -- never found a web mail solution that comes close to a native client. Webmail is OK for quick checks from home or elsewhere, but I couldn't use it as my main client. I'm also against the idea of "everything in a web browser".

I'm very much a fan of providing open protocols and standards and letting people use the tool that they prefer or works best for them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joel HuffordRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:40:45 am

With regard to the OP's question, I've found BusyCal to be a great expansion of iCal's basic functionalities. It is especially well suited to small business environments where many people need to be able to see and modify shared calendars. The application does utilize Google Calendars to make the sharing possible, but it has a great User Interface that feels very much like a native Mac OS X App.

I would agree with most people that Apple's Mail works fine for email, but as far as Address Book goes, I think it's the worst piece of software that ships with the operating system.

It has been a frustrating journey to try to integrate that as we phase out our old Now Up To Date and Now Contact applications. I'm still waiting for a great alternative, an "Address Book Pro" if you will, but have been surprised to find so few options.

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cor BrinkRe: Mac alternative to MS Outlook
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:11:27 am

It's not really Apple's fault, in my opinion.
Microsoft Office 2011 does not support Exchange Server 2003 anymore.
Small businesses are left between a rock and a hard place; its not cheap to upgrade and why upgrade really if everything's working? It more a money making racket than anything else, especially from Microsoft's point of view to not support their own product anymore but MS Office 2010 for PC's still do...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:35:00 pm

I don't see how it's not Apple's fault for dropping the ball on this one. The iPhone and the iTouch can connect to Exchange servers just fine but Mac Mail cannot. Well, that does make it Apple's issue.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:09:55 pm

No even the iPhone iPod touch and ipad have issues with exchange 2003. It has to do with how exchange 2003 does things. My father runs exchange 2003 and had to do a bunch af adjusting on the server end before it would work with his iphone and iPad.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:39:49 pm

I agree... But most IT guys are going to setup the Exchange servers for web access for on the road travels. At that point, the iPhone and the iTouch have no issues. But for the life of me, I cannot get Mail to recognize or see our servers at all.

It's just sad to see that Apple did not put in any backward compatibility into Mail. At least, they could have made an Enterprise version for sale.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]