Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

What does "journaled" on a hard disc means?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rainer WirthWhat does "journaled" on a hard disc means?
by on Jun 17, 2005 at 2:25:17 pm

I want to install Tiger. So I've cleaned a Harddisc completely. You have some option for formating. What does journaled mean?

Rainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Curtis ThompsonRe: What does "journaled" on a hard disc means?
by on Jun 17, 2005 at 4:03:49 pm

hello...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2030.html

"A Mac OS Extended volume can be journaled, which means that the operating system keeps a continuous log (journal) of the changes made to the files on the volume. This helps the operating system restore the volume to a usable state when a power failure or other problem interrupts the disk's operation and damages files."

sitruc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SloanRe: What does "journaled" on a hard disc means?
by on Jun 17, 2005 at 5:13:14 pm

Just to be clear, this won't save you from a hard disk going bad or anything, but it does help keep your system file system running more smoothly than before. With OS 10.3 and on, the performance hit is much smaller at about 2-5%. You can turn it on in 10.2.8 I think, but you have to use the terminal and the performance hit was something like 10-15% if I remember correctly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rainer WirthRe: What does "journaled" on a hard disc means?
by on Jun 18, 2005 at 9:33:36 am

Thank you very much. So it makes sense to format your harddisc containing the system journaled.

Rainer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SloanRe: What does "journaled" on a hard disc means?
by on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:26:17 pm

"So it makes sense to format your harddisc containing the system journaled."
Exactly. Your media drives, if you erase them after each project and reformat shouldn't be journaled. But if you have multiple projects that have long work schedules, you might want to sacrifice a little speed for file structure. Again, this is not enough though, back up your files!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]