Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAYA:MAYA ForumMAYA TutorialsMAYA

rendered targa, tiff, and avi files wont show up in premiere cs4

COW Forums : MAYA

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eric Wincottrendered targa, tiff, and avi files wont show up in premiere cs4
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 6:29:22 pm

I am trying to render an animation in Maya 8 and take that render into Premiere CS4. When I batch render, no matter what the format, my computer doesn't recognize the file. When I render it as an AVI, it will play in windows media player, but it will not show up in premiere. The weird thing is that if I render a single frame, say as a targa or a tiff, my computer recognizes the file, and it will show up in Premiere, but not if it is batch rendered as an animation.

I have messed with the settings. I have made it an uncompressed file. I have read some threads, but nothing seems to fix the problem.

Please help! This is so frustrating and I just can't solve the problem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stuart ChristensenRe: rendered targa, tiff, and avi files wont show up in premiere cs4
by on Oct 23, 2010 at 6:19:14 am

Hello Eric, Normally you would export your animation as a native Maya IFF image sequence and then import that sequence directly into premiere as an IFF sequence, at least that method works great for after effects and FCP, but I have found Premiere Pro CS4 (for Mac) to be about the most useless buggy program I have ever used. Half the time I try to do something in Premiere the program won't even open and I have to force quit and use my trusted FCP for editing. If you have After Effects try importing an IFF image sequence as footage and render it out as a .mov, At any rate you will be importing and image sequence so upon import just navigate to the first frame you don't need to select all of the frames because the program should recognize that you are importing an sequence so it will sequentially play from frame #1 on...make sure your options are set to import an image sequence and it should work. Should.....But, I'm not a Premiere guy and probably will never be. Hope that helps. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric WincottRe: rendered targa, tiff, and avi files wont show up in premiere cs4
by on Oct 23, 2010 at 7:25:58 pm

Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work. My computer doesn't recognize the file type. After Effects wont import it because it doesnt except the file type, iff or other wise. This is really confusing to me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stuart ChristensenRe: rendered targa, tiff, and avi files wont show up in premiere cs4
by on Oct 24, 2010 at 2:51:45 am

Sorry Eric, I don't have much love for Premiere, however, there are those who swear by it's abilities and I've actually worked with it a few times but quickly went back to FCP because of it's lameness. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Adobe software, especially After Effects, but in this case, this is exactly why I hate Premiere. Now maybe all the bugs will be fixed in CS5, which I'll be upgrading to this month, mainly because of After Effects and Photoshop, (64 bit capabilities) but a a quick search for official Adobe documentation reveals this interesting tidbit that claims the program can do what you need to do, but I've never been able to make it achieve even this simple task, so join the club I guess. Check out this:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/help.html?content=WS1c9bc5c...

I love the comment at the bottom!

I can tell you this, if you are using Maya alot, After Effects is a must have for compositing and almost goes hand in hand with Maya to really get things done. Just my two cents worth! Sorry I can't help much more on this one. Have you considered switching to MAC in the future? STU

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael FrankRe: rendered targa, tiff, and avi files wont show up in premiere cs4
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 4:14:57 pm

This could be as simple as having the naming convention off in a way that Premiere doesn't like. My friend recently called me up panicked because he had saved his files out as

"name.ext.#"

and Premiere wouldn't bring that in. The solution was to just bring in the sequence to FCheck and then resave the animation. (Sequence911 is also a great tool for renaming.) FCheck also can do format conversion so if Premiere doesn't like IFFs then you can save it as tifs or tgas maybe.

Also there is a Numbered Stills checkbox on Premiere's import footage that you have to look out for.

Don't know if its that simple for you but thought I would throw it out there.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 25, 2010 at 8:14:02 pm

Hello Michael, Those are some great suggestions as well, as soon as I load up CS5 I'll give Premiere some more "face time" because I really want to like the program! That's what I love about this forum, I learn new stuff everyday! Thanks for the tips! STU

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]