Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAYA:MAYA ForumMAYA TutorialsMAYA

Batch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!

COW Forums : MAYA

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kristi SendlewskiBatch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 2:57:51 pm

Hello all,

I have hit the Maya wall here and burst into frames. it has taken me over 3 days to animate and attempt to render a simple 360 spin of a product. I am normally a 3ds Max user and this is the first time I am using MAYA professionally. The object is very geometry heavy and has been exported from IGES>3ds>FBX and finally into Maya. I am trying to render a simple targa sequence here it took me a half a day to figure out that Batch rendering is suppose to do that but every time I do that the render unexpectedly quits (gives no reason just says rendering finished) randomly in the middle / beginning of sequence. I have the frame start and end correct the settings are all right in the render settings. Then when it DID render what it needed to the files were unreadable in ADOBE (any of the ADOBE Products tried them all). I imported the scene into another project hoping maybe that would fix the bug... It fixed the files so now I can see them and open them but Maya decided to not render them all so instead of the product doing a 360 it does a 90 degree turn. The animation is correct I just scrubbed through that. I am using Maya 2011. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!??!?

Sincerely,
Cat / Missing Max...

Oh and I am using a MAC so i don't know if that helps any...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michiel DuvekotRe: Batch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:24:57 pm

It's not yet possible to tell you what you're doing wrong, since you're not really providing enough information telling us what you're doing.

There are a few things you need to do to get the information that can help you troubleshoot the scene.

1) run [Rendering] Render->Run Render Diagnostics
2) check the render logs after increasing verbosity to level 5
3) check the memory (what does the MEL command memory -sum; return when the scene is loaded?)

or, if you need a solution quickly, contact me at michiel@thnkr.com and let me fix it for you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kristi SendlewskiRe: Batch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!
by on May 12, 2010 at 1:17:10 pm

Thank You Michael,

I finally got that render to work. I did not set the project correctly and when I ran batch render I had an error or two that I fixed. I however have ran into another problem. I used Mental Ray to make my object metallic and add some glass to it too. I have not referenced any outside files just used the textures I got from Maya and tweaked them to my liking. My object faces reading reads 888431 888030 I don't know what the two different numbers mean. Anyways I go to render and it gets to 100% of the first frame and hangs up. It doesn't say render completed just stays at 100% and doesn't close out the file so I can't even open frame one. Also I am rendering over a network it's going from a MAC to a PC I got another file to work fine but this file just won't work! I wanted to give you the render log info but I have no clue where it is or where to locate the information. Also I have no idea where the Mel memory is located either. the render diagnostic says this:

//0 warning

HELP PLEASE!

The script editor says this during the render
/ Result: Saving temporary file: /Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/scenes/LAESI_TEXT_FINAL_OUT4__84962.mb //
// Result: Rendering with mental ray... //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 0 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 5 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 10 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 15 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 20 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 25 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 30 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 35 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 40 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 45 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 50 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 55 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 60 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 65 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 70 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 75 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 80 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 85 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 90 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 95 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Result: Percentage of rendering done: 100 (/Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/images/Text_LAE_TURN001.tga) //
// Performing Auto-Save at 2010/05/11 18:36:54: //

Kristi

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michiel DuvekotRe: Batch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!
by on May 12, 2010 at 1:36:31 pm

The render log is accessible through the mac OS X console application. Open Console click on show log list and find

FILES
~/Library/Logs
Maya
mayaRender.log

or use the finder; press Shift + Command +G and type ~/Library/Logs/Maya
you'll find the log in there. It's a simple text file, you can copy it, rename it to mayaRender.txt and open it with the textedit app.

executing the memory command is done as follows:

open Window->General Editors->Script Editor

make sure to click on the MEL tab and type

memory -sum;

click on the blue arrow button.

Michiel
http://www.thnkr.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kristi SendlewskiRe: Batch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!
by on May 12, 2010 at 2:29:04 pm

SO I just tried to re-batch render this time I was informed that the render was completed when it did nothing...and I got this in the render log:

Wed May 12 10:19:44 EDT 2010

Starting "/Applications/Autodesk/maya2011/Maya.app/Contents/bin/maya"

Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'mentalrayItemsList'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'mentalrayGlobals'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'miDefaultOptions'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'miDefaultFramebuffer'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'mib_glossy_reflection1'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'miContourPreset'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'Draft'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'DraftMotionBlur'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'DraftRapidMotion'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'Preview'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'PreviewMotionblur'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'PreviewRapidMotion'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'PreviewCaustics'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'PreviewGlobalIllum'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'PreviewFinalGather'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'Production'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'ProductionMotionblur'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'ProductionRapidMotion'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'ProductionFineTrace'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'ProductionRapidFur'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'ProductionRapidHair'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'mia_material1'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'white_plastic'; preserving node information during this session.
Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'black_plastic'; preserving node information during this session.
File read in 17 seconds.
Result: /Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/scenes/LAESI_TEXT_FINAL_OUT4__21792.mb
Error: The renderer mentalRay is not registered yet.
Error: Scene /Users/kristisendlewski/Desktop/MAYA_Projects/LAESI_AUTH/scenes/LAESI_TEXT_FINAL_OUT4__21792.mb failed to render.

// Maya exited with status 210

memory log =

memory -sum;
// Result:
718.398 Mb Heap
//

Thank you for your help Michiel. My render goes from not rendering to getting to 100% on the first frame and dying... I'm | | <- that close to throwing this machine out the window...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Connor McKeeRe: Batch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!
by on Jan 16, 2013 at 8:22:02 am

Had the same problem, and managed to fix it by unchecking "render on network machines" in the batch render window.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

shiv kumarRe: Batch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!
by on May 9, 2014 at 6:58:42 am

have u checked master render layer under channel box....
may be this is unchecked....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jennifer PediniRe: Batch Rendering in Maya not working... Advise please!
by on Jul 1, 2014 at 6:43:44 pm

I also hit the Maya batch render wall of flames after spending several days modeling and animating. Here is what fixed my problem:

1. My programming husband told me that the trick is to do a batch render after every major change you make to your scene - that way, you know what you did last to break your batch render and can figure out the problem from there

As it turned out, one of my objects was bad after I tried deleting all materials, uv maps, and then object by object until I found the culprit.

2. Mesh - Clean Up

I was trying to boolean the bad object and it wasn't working. I found the suggestion to clean up the object on this forum -
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Modeling/Objects-disappear-when-performing-bo...
and although my boolean still didn't work, it fixed my batch rendering problem.

So from now on, I will try to remember to do test batch renders after each object and change and clean up my objects once I finish modeling.

Hope this helps people in the future.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]