Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAYA:MAYA ForumMAYA TutorialsMAYA

creating a character with clothes

COW Forums : MAYA

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
William Hamiltoncreating a character with clothes
by on Jul 11, 2006 at 11:43:37 pm

Hello,

I have a number of characters I'm modeling for a superhero short my friend and I want to do, and am wondering what a good method to make a character with clothing is. So far I've modeled a couple of the characters who are either wearing spandex suits or creatures with no clothing at all, but will start soon on more complex things like shirts and jackets which should react realistically. Attached is some concept art of what we need to do

http://www.geocities.com/bannysvideo/mayawoes/superheros.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/bannysvideo/mayawoes/badguys.jpg

I'm fairly new to maya (only been using it for about 3 months) so wasn't sure if something like maya cloth or syflex is generally what you would do for this. If something like maya cloth is what you generally do then would it be a good idea to use it even on spandex characters? Thanks again!

- William

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

William HamiltonRe: creating a character with clothes
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 8:45:03 pm

I've been playing around with some of the characters the last few days and I think I have an idea for creating accesories such as belts, watches and so on for characters. Does this sound plausible?

-Convert polygon object to subdivision
-Converst subdivision into nurbs
-make nurbs character live and draw curves directly on the character
-Use surface tools on the curves to make a nurbs mesh, convert that mesh into polygon object
-polygon object can then be extruded and then refined (because it started from a live curve, it will wrap nicely around the body of the character)

The problem I'm running into with this is that when I convert from subdivision into nurbs, it creates separate nurbs meshes and I can only make one mesh live at a time. Is there a way to merge all of the nurbs meshes together so I can make the whole object live? I've tried global stitch but without much luck. If anyone knows a way to do this it would greatly help us out on making clothing for our models, Thanks again!

-William

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad BriggsRe: creating a character with clothes
by on Jul 13, 2006 at 3:13:32 pm

with all the conversions your going through, this route is going to be rather problematic, i'd suggest just eyeballing it by building the cloths in polys. If you want skintight cloths, just duplicate the body geometry, scale it a bit, and start modifying that. We just built a bunch of clothes for a 3D character and they were all built from polys by hand. Seems to give you the most control. Also, when you start doing wrinkles and fine details, a good displacement map goes a long way.
my .02
-chad

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

William HamiltonRe: creating a character with clothes
by on Jul 13, 2006 at 5:38:31 pm

Great! Thank you so much for the advice, works perfectly now. I'll keep the displacement map technique in mind for fine details also, sounds interesting

-William

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad BriggsRe: creating a character with clothes
by on Jul 13, 2006 at 3:15:56 pm

Also, in the case of spandex, that is usually just a texture. Because often times it's drawn so tightly on the skin, it just looks like it's painted on anyway.
-chad

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]