Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Using RAID for video editing on USB 2.0 ~ pointless?

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mike jonesUsing RAID for video editing on USB 2.0 ~ pointless?
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 12:18:43 am

Hello,

I have a laptop with a 5,400rpm HD. I understand having a RAID setup (one which benefits video editing) makes working with video a lot quicker, however -I only have USB 2.0 ports on my laptop and I'm wondering whether having a caddy of 2x/3x/4x 7,200rpm 3.5" hard drives connected when working with After Effects will speed it up?

I checked if there was any PCMCIA slot but no luck, so, is it worth it?

Cheers.

couple notes - I'm using http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/high-p... laptop and I'm looking to increase the speed of my video editing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: Using RAID for video editing on USB 2.0 ~ pointless?
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:11:41 pm

no

bob zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sareesh SudhakaranRe: Using RAID for video editing on USB 2.0 ~ pointless?
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:39:54 pm

Here's another option:

Instead of RAID, use two separate drives over each USB port - one for reading and one for writing.

Also, if you have additional USB ports, or an SD/CF card slot, you can even add another thumb drive or card to it and use it as a temp/cache file.

Thirdly, partition the internal hard drive - the first for OS and Software, and the second for your temp/cache or write drive or backup.

That'll improve things a bit.

Want a fourth option? Open up your laptop and see if there are additional SATA ports on the motherboard. If there is, then you may have your RAID after all.

Hope this helps.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike jonesRe: Using RAID for video editing on USB 2.0 ~ pointless?
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:48:54 pm

Thanks, that's a lot of help. I don't know how I'd set the AE to use one drive for writes and the other for reads but I'm sure it's not too difficult.

I installed more RAM in my laptop today, it now has 8gb and it seems to have speed things up.
While I was installing the memory, I noticed one other connection - it was white and had about 8 pins. I've no idea what it is but you can see it for yourself here:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SAMSUNG-RC520-S02UK-Laptop-Motherboard-Complete-Genu...
Notice the bar code on the ram slots - above that there is a white (vertical) connection. Anyone able to tell me what it is?

Oh and, I'm looking to put a SSD in this instead of the 5,400 rpm HD. I was thinking this may speed up video footage?

Cheers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas LeongRe: Using RAID for video editing on USB 2.0 ~ pointless?
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:29:29 pm

IMO, your most worthwhile upgrade is to swap the internal hd to a SSD. The read/write speeds of today's SSDs are faster than a 2-disk RAID 0. The only limitation is cost per GB, but prices are falling everyday.

Migration of your current OS and applications/data to the SSD is painless with something like Acronic True Image Home. If you choose an Intel SSD (which is a very good unit), Intel offers a free version of Acronis tailored to their SSDs. First connect up the SSD via USB as an external drive, then click and clone your current hd to the Intel SSD. Next, undo a couple of screws underneath your laptop, and swap the hd out. Quite easy. Google for instructions on the physical how-to...someone has taken the pictures to show you the how.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 8:55:45 pm

I purchased a copy of acronis true image last year, and I was contemplating either purchasing the samsung 830 256gb or the intel 520 240gb ssd. I've heard the intel is a smidgen faster but not quite as reliable.

However, I just wanted to know what was faster - an SSD or RAID through USB(s)?

Cheers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:04:57 am

Ended up going for the samsung 830 ssd, will let you guys know how it performs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:20:18 am

Good buy. You won't be disappointed with your upgrade despite not being able to utilize the full datarate of the 830 because your on-board controller is SATA-2 rather than SATA-3. The 830 will still be faster than a RAID-via-USB2 since USB2 has a max transfer rate of 480 mbps (megabits per second) whilst SATA2 is rated at 3.0 Gbits/s. If I'm not wrong, the 830 with SATA-2 is even faster than a 2-disk RAID 0 on SATA-2 (also consuming less power and gives out less heat).

In any case, an internal, on-board controller is always more secure/less prone to crashes than an external controller.

Edit and scrub away!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:29:27 pm

My laptop has sata3 actually. Where did you get the sata2 from?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:45:34 pm

SATA3? Good for you then. I assumed, and assumed wrong. Apologies.
In this case, you will see the full benefits of going with the 830 instead of a USB-2 driven RAID set of spinning drives - over 500MB/s of read and write...Woot!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2012 at 3:31:39 pm

No problem! Just wanted to make sure you weren't 100% sure as I really liked the idea it was sata3.

Also I'll post some results just to make this thread useful an give back to the community. If anyone wants any particular tests run let me know.

For the standard test I'm just going to render out a quick time movie on both (hard drive vs ssd) and see how much faster it renders.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:38:26 pm

Well, it is faster, especially when uncompressing the video footage as the ssd can read it back quicker. However for compressed video it is similar since it is more processor dependant.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]