Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Article: NAB 2012: HP

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Debra KaufmanArticle: NAB 2012: HP
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:30:10 am

Windows Hardware & Software
NAB 2012: HPNAB 2012: HP

At NAB 2012, HP unveiled its all-in-one HP Z1 workstation. With a 27-inch diagonal screen, Intel Xeon processors and NVIDIA Quadro graphics, the HP Z1 is aimed at both the digital media and entertainment industry and the computer-aided design market.

Feature   04/28/2012
Author: Debra Kaufman

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas FrankRe: NAB 2012: HP
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 7:25:47 pm

Why didn't the just admit that HP wanted to copy the iMac?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: NAB 2012: HP
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:12:14 pm

Form factor: all-in-one, so yeah, iMac was on their mind. Otherwise, you can only dream that Apple would try to copy HP. User-upgradable (with no tools) components, including high-powered video card. BILLIONS of colors vs. millions on iMac. Twice as much RAM. (Four times as much RAM as some iMac models.) Hard drives twice as big. Internal RAID. Slots: 1 PCIe x16 full, 3 miniPCIe. Faster processors. 3 year onsite warranty. On and on. Just for grins: Blu-ray, and several Linux OS options.

So while this is obviously aimed at the same group of people who find the all-in-one form factor attractive, this one really IS a workstation, instead of a personal computer that you can slide into a pro setting if you have to.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Matthias AderholdRe: NAB 2012: HP
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:32:32 pm

HP doesn't admit to have copied the iMac, because they haven't.
iMac is a toy.
Z1 is a workstation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2012 at 8:10:12 pm

So the iMac is a toy and HP copies the pizza box design and its a workstation?
Your comment makes as much sense as saying the Ferrari 355 is a toy and the Pontiac Fiero is a performance car!

Yeah...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 8:21:01 am

It makes much more sense, talking about the possibilities you have with a Z1.
It offers much more opportunities, is better and more comprehensive engineered. Most of professional Editing-, VFX-, or Grading-Software relies and gains the most power from Quadro-Cards,
not from some ATI-crap.
The ability to have Linux supported makes it even more interesting for those, who are running Linux-applications like PF Clean, or Autodesk Flare.
With it's close-to-sRGB Monitor it fit's perfectly as an ON-Set Grading
System for e.g. Assimilate's ScratchLab.
And at least, you are able to upgrade it in any way,
be it harddisks (Raid-functionality), Graphics, BluRay, or RAM.
And you can do it by yourself within minutes, if you got proper parts at hand.
And on top you have a really good and proven warranty and support,
which is quite important if your production relies on this workstations.
And before someone mentiones Appel Care... it crap. It's real crap and not worth a penny.
So basically... yes, you get much more out of a Z1, than of an iMac.

The only thing lacking atm is Thunderbolt-capability,
which I would consider as a future upgrade, once released for PC.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 8:43:17 am

One HP support is as crappy as the Apple warranty but this is a different story.
I am talking about the design and on top of that if HP can cramp all that into a Pizzabox well then Apple could also (its all INTEL base), maybe a iMac Pro is coming. Who knows... if it does sure is going to look and work cooler.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 8:58:40 am

Replacing the Mac Pro through an iMac Pro would be an interesting story, indeed...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: NAB 2012: HP
by on May 4, 2012 at 2:01:48 pm

[Thomas Frank] "One HP support is as crappy as the Apple warranty but this is a different story."

You have GOT to be kidding!!! HP's warranty completely blows away anything Apple has ever considered. You can get 3-yr ONSITE repair, with guaranteed next business day delivery of parts -- and you may note even need the onsite repair because you can change the parts yourself with no tools!

We're talking about the Z1, but HP laptop warranties INCLUDE replacing the SCREEN, or any other part of the computer for any reason, like dropping it in water. If you get a single drip inside a Mac laptop, Applecare won't touch you, and forget about replacing a screen.

And HP does all this for LESS than the cost of Applecare!

A bunch of people talked about that on another thread: HP's service is amazing. Here's one post:

the hp 3yr warranty is amazing, had a motherboard blow on a z800 we use on o.b's (so it gets kicked around a fair bit)next day on site repair no quibble, no charge. Similarly a machine bought in the uk but being used in brazil was replced next day after a power surge on an o.b. just read out the model no and ref no. and they come worldwide...all of this included in the purchase price.

So no matter where in the world you are, even if it's in a different country than the one you bought your computer -- overnight replacement, onsite delivery.

Apple would never attempt to provide service like this FOR ANY PRICE because they're not committed to pro computer users. Or, you can get coverage like this for LESS the cost of Applecare.

Look, there are plenty of reasons not to buy an HP computer if you don't want to, especially if you're all Mac. But the difference in service is night and day.

Honestly, if you care about a company who commits to inexpensive, overnight, onsite service for its pro computing customers, you will never buy another Mac for as long as you live.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 2:07:25 pm

Well it was not amazing when there where issue with two the HP Z600. In fact I still think they are still sitting in the cold.

DIfference between HP and Apple we never need to use Warranty on Apple Products. But aside of that they could update there Warranty policy to 2 Years minimum!

From devices and gadgets only AJA, Canon and BlackMagic came through as winners.
But I guess all depends who you are talking to right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: NAB 2012: HP
by on May 4, 2012 at 9:35:05 pm

[Thomas Frank] "So the iMac is a toy and HP copies the pizza box design and its a workstation?"

The Xeon CPU, ECC memory, Quadro graphics, internal expansion options, and tool-free, user-serviceable design that make it a workstation. The iMac has none of these things, so while it may not be a toy, the fact that a competitor has released a workstation in a similar form factor doesn't elevate the iMac.

[Thomas Frank] "I am talking about the design and on top of that if HP can cramp all that into a Pizzabox well then Apple could also (its all INTEL base), maybe a iMac Pro is coming. Who knows... if it does sure is going to look and work cooler."

If they choose to, sure. But that doesn't make the iMac Pro a replacement for the Mac Pro anymore than the Z1 is a replacement for the Z800. They're different machines for different needs.

Working cooler -- I'm not really sure what this means.

As for looking cooler -- seriously? As a Mac user for many years, I fought against the moronic stereotype that designers bought Macs because they looked cooler. Please don't bring it back. There are good reasons to choose a Mac.

Besides which I happen to think the Z1 looks pretty sharp.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 9:49:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Besides which I happen to think the Z1 looks pretty sharp."
If you are into the Dell look go of for it.

Are you a Windows user? And a course there are many good reason and looks is not one of my.
How long has the Mac been on the market and target for which section, then how long has the Z1 one been on the market and is targeting who?

Do you remember the Gateway One?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: NAB 2012: HP
by on May 5, 2012 at 1:43:11 am

[Thomas Frank] "Are you a Windows user?"

Yes. And an OS X user. I own both Macs and PCs, and I use both for production on a daily basis. I am really excited about cross-platform workflows.

[Thomas Frank] "How long has the Mac been on the market and target for which section, then how long has the Z1 one been on the market and is targeting who?"

HP has been in the workstation market targeting users with high-performance computing needs on the desktop for years, and they're the dominant player in that market. HP has been aggressively marketing to the digital content creation industry since roughly the time Apple EOLed Shake.

The iMac is definitely usable by many video pros, but that's not the same thing as being built for them.

[Thomas Frank] "Do you remember the Gateway One?"

Sure. Do you remember the IBM PS/1? How about the Commodore PET? The only thing the Z1 has in common with these is a space-saving design and an integrated monitor.

Look at the specs. Look at the design. The Z1 is totally unlike traditional AIO computers.

It may not be the right machine for your needs, and that's fine, but if you're comparing this to an iMac, you're missing the point.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 5, 2012 at 10:07:31 am

Well then you understand about working cooler.

Anyways how did the Gateway One hung around?
So you can see who HP and Apple are targeting to different geographic markets.
As you read my previous posts I never mention any compare of hardware just the design.
Just let you know I come from a 3D Animation and Render background since the 90's.
Still to day Irix was the best OS next to OSX just because of the nature of stability and the compatibility between hard- and software.
Yes I am aware of the latest Windows 7 he have in the shop also but still it does not bring the felling and "real life" speed. I am not talking about numbers I am talking about a person working with it in a day and day out situations.
There are two reasons why (in my experience) Mac are begin bought, design and lifestyle for the posers but also the emotion between the person or operate and Mac. We are totally going of topic with.

As said I compared the design... besides Z1 vs Z800 there are 799 digest between that. lol

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben RojasRe: NAB 2012: HP
by on May 4, 2012 at 10:03:11 am

HP certainly copied the all-in-one design, but took it to another level. They up'd the ante and don't think for a minute Apple hasn't taken notice. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Apple puts out an iMac Pro and Mac Mini Pro... It's the nature of where technology is headed; smaller, faster, modular, portable, etc. For all we know, HP beat them to the punch as Apple is distracted selling phones and iPads ;o)

Ben Rojas
Editor|Artist|Dir. of Post Production
KSC KREATE
3850 N 28th Ter. Ste. 101
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771
E. ben.rojas@ksckreate.com
http://www.ksckreate.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like