Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Issues with Windows install and Occasional Processor Loading

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jeff ComptonIssues with Windows install and Occasional Processor Loading
by on Jul 21, 2010 at 10:58:51 pm

Hello,

I just put together a new PC build using the following:

Processor: Intel i7 930
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Memory: A-DATA Plus Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Video Card: PNY VCQ295NVS-X16-PB Quadro NVS 295 256MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Harddrives: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
DVD-R: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER hyper 212 w/ Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

I've had problems installing the OS. Before that I was was having issue with the computer not advancing past the BIOS prompt screen, but after a cold boot or restart I was able to advance to the windows instalation. The process seemed to hang up at each new step, but always eventually advances. In the case of the screen where it says "Expanding Files", "Installing Files", the progress seemed to move pretty smoothly. It wasn't until the part afterwards where the windows 7 logo pusates on the screen and below it states "Setup is Updating Settings..." that it would be left in perpetual stillness. I left it for up to 8 hours before restarting. In restarting these installations would error out the first time at "disk.sys" and then restart the computer. I've also had chkdsk run, but it restarts the computer before finishing.

I took the computer into a local repair shop that I've used a few times before and they said there were able to check everything but the motherboard and the processor. They said it looked like a good build without any obvious mistakes or incompatibilities, and suggested that the most likely problem was a bum motherboard. I replaced the motherboard, rehooked up everything and it does the same exact thing. I know that the copy of Windows 7 is legit, and the computer shop even attempted it install vista and ran into the same hang ups.

At this point I'm tempted to blame a bad processor. I noticed that occasionally the LED lights on the motherboard signifying that the PC has loaded sometimes do not light up, and that's where I run into my BIOS splash screen freeze. To fix the issue, I've been having to turn off the power supply and wait 10 seconds before rebooting. That usually fixes that issue. I have the ATX cable and ATX_12V_2x attached, so I shouldn't be having lack of power issues.

Is there something that seems obivously incompatible or maybe points to something else other than a bad processor? It's very depressing, because this computer is supposed to be used for the business I'm starting (video services and graphic design), and I'm close to at my wit's end. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
--------->Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd PerchertRe: Issues with Windows install and Occasional Processor Loading
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:08:41 pm

First, double-check your 3 channel memory config to make sure the DIMMS are installed in the correct slots. "When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets."
Then try loading the Fail-Safe defaults in the BIOS.
Then try a reinstall.

It's possible you may need to just check with Gigabyte. It's a new MOBO, so support shouldn't be a problem.

Good Luck! TC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff ComptonRe: Issues with Windows install and Occasional Processor Loading
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 1:52:37 am

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long lag in responding. The good news is that I'm responding on the build in question. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a rigamarole, and there is still one minor (I hope) hang up.

The memory was in the correct position (and it's a strange 2 4 6 configuration by normal standards and confused the people I took it to), and I loaded the fail-safe defaults, to no avail. After some research on the forums of the motherboard manufacture (hoping, after your suggestion, that it was indeed a motherboard issue), I found that the particular memory/processor configuration doesn't work well under fail safe and it was suggested to used optimized settings. Then I stumbled upon a suggest to turn off a few power saving settings. One in particular, something about SOMETHING SOMETHING CPU HALT seemed like it might be the key. Well, not to get into the dramatic tension that was brought on by some occurrences I interpreted at the time as yet another failure, the computer is working fine and at what I assume is full speed.

There is still one concerning issue. Sometimes from a cold boot the computer will still halt at the Bios Splash screen and refuse to Post. All I have to do is hit the reset button and it starts up fine, but it does concern me. Considering that all the other issues seem to be linked to the motherboard, I assume it's still the cause of the remaining issue. I'll probably post on that forum soon and hope for the best.

Thank you very much for your help, and if you have any further insights I'd love to hear them.
------->Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd PerchertRe: Issues with Windows install and Occasional Processor Loading
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 2:13:20 pm

That is strange that the RAM needs to be in 2, 4, 6 positions, when the manual for that mobo says 1, 3, 5.

Some of these Mobo manufacturers has special 'features' that Windows 7 doesn't like.

glad it's working. Do you have the latest BIOS?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]