Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

64-bit OS - XP vs Vista?

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gord Stephen64-bit OS - XP vs Vista?
by on May 6, 2009 at 12:20:00 am

Hey all - first off, my apologies if this question has been answered a hundred times before. I have a hunch it will have been, but my search didn't turn anything up...

I'm upgrading to CS4 and figure that I might as well switch to a 64 bit OS and add some RAM at the same time. I'm running XP (32 bit Home Edition) right now, and my question is... is there any merit in staying with XP (just installing a 64 bit version), or should I be looking at 64-bit Vista Ultimate?

I'm running Vista Business (with 2 GB of RAM) on a laptop right now, and I frequently get 'Low on memory, close some programs' notifications. I only use the machine for web browsing, email, iTunes, word processing, etc... So needless to say I find it a little troubling. To be fair I haven't deactivated Aero, but still...

Is Vista enough of a memory hog to warrant sticking to XP for my editing machine? (I'm thinking of going to 4GB of RAM for now, but I do plan on eventually going to my mobo's limit of 8GB.)

Or... do I even need to bother with the additional RAM/OS upgrade? I'm editing mainly AVCHD and some HDV (both native, in most cases). I'll admit that I'm a little... enthusiastic about computer specs, so feel free to knock me back down to earth if I'm being excessive here...

Thanks for the input!

Gord

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gord StephenRe: 64-bit OS - XP vs Vista?
by on May 6, 2009 at 12:42:06 am

Hey, what do you know, it's the same question... Good old Related Threads. Sorry about that. Has the answer changed at all in a year?

Thanks,

Gord

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: 64-bit OS - XP vs Vista?
by on May 6, 2009 at 10:27:46 am

[Gord Stephen] "Has the answer changed at all in a year?"

Yes! Vista 64 with SP1 is now the choice. XP 64 is not approved for CS4...plenty of issues.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gord StephenRe: 64-bit OS - XP vs Vista?
by on May 6, 2009 at 11:36:16 am

Alright, perfect! Thanks for that.

Gord

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew FordRe: 64-bit OS - XP vs Vista?
by on May 8, 2009 at 6:45:06 pm

In addition, don't worry too much about all the negatives you've heard about Vista, such as the amount of RAM you'll spend just running the OS alone. With a little cleaning and turning things off, you can get Vista running solid using just 1.5GB RAM or less. I've been running CS4 on Vista 64 with just 8GB of RAM on an Intel Quad Core and nVidia 9800gtx+ and it more than holds its own in render and compression times to my quad core Mac with 16gb RAM... and at 1/4 the price. You can even run antivirus at the same time now that there are great solutions with light footprints (VIPRE, etc.). Plus, I think having Vista 64 will allow you to get a better price discount for Windows 7, and then you'll have an OS with a lighter footprint also.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Doug MainRe: 64-bit OS - XP vs Vista?
by on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:52:45 pm

Just to eco the above, Vista 64. I have both Vista 64 and XP64 running on my 2 machines at home, and XP64 is the most tempromental OS I have used in a long time. Is very frustrating!

On the other hand, you should really wait till the end of the month and get Windows 7 on launch. It pretty much has the features of Vista, with the performance of XP. 1.5gigs of ram on just OS is really a fair bit.

Final Cut Studio 3 running on P5Q-Pro based Intel Quad Core Q6600 PC...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]