Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Firewire Networking

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nick BakerFirewire Networking
by on Feb 25, 2008 at 4:53:53 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll try...

I just started co-teaching a high school broadcasting class that's been in existence for a good 10 years. Anyways, the students use DV Video Decks that use firewire connection. Unfortunetly we have lost a few decks due to overwear. What I'm curious of is there a way to connect one DV Deck to multiple computers and have it only intereact with one at a time? I'm tired of fixing Firewire ports because of the constant in and out pulling of cables when students move the decks.

If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas LeongRe: Firewire Networking
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 10:34:45 am

A Firewire Patch Bay may be the answer -
http://www.signvideo.com/ieee-1394-firewire-patch-panel-patchbay-dv-video-b...

1 port would be used for the DV deck device. The other 15 ports to the students' computers. Then patch whichever computer to the DV Deck when required.

Be aware though that there may be limit to the Firewire cable run. Read somewhere that it is 15ft, unless you use a repeater every 15ft. Can't verify what I read though.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]