Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Matrox workstation only using 2 of 8 cores!!

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David OwenMatrox workstation only using 2 of 8 cores!!
by on Jan 16, 2008 at 3:12:20 pm

I have a new dual-quad core workstation with a Matrox RT.X2 board installed using Premiere CS3 (see profile for more detail). I'm trying to do a project using stills in a move and scale manner over a single track of DV video footage. According to replies I've gotten in the Matrox forum, it can't handle images larger than a standard DV frame (720x480) without rendering first!

Therefore, I'd like to bypass the Matrox hardware and simply use the system CPUs to get the job done. But, when I use Premiere's scale and position settings rather than Matrox's filters, I only get use of 15% of the cores and the video stutters / drops frames as it plays from the timeline.

As far as I can tell, the latest drivers are properly installed (Matrox 3.1?). The hard drive array passed the benchmarking tests with flying colors and is defragged. The standard video card's driver is current as well. Any ideas?

- David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David OwenRe: Matrox workstation only using 2 of 8 cores!! (still struggling & update)
by on Jan 23, 2008 at 8:04:42 pm

I took the box to my dealer and showed him the exact setup, configuration settings, etc., and finally convinced him that this wasn't just "a workflow limitation" but rather a huge step backwards in performance.

To keep the variables to a minimum, he re-created a simplified version of the project on his office computer (core 2 duo) and experienced real-time performance on previews! Then, trying the same thing on other multiprocessor systems in his shop, found them to be slower than his single processor computer. Keep in mind this does not use the Matrox board or filters. This issue may be more of a generic Adobe CS3 vs mobo/CMOS issue rather than Matrox-related.

Any ideas? Others experience this?

- David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas LeongRe: Matrox workstation only using 2 of 8 cores!! (still struggling & update)
by on Jan 25, 2008 at 9:46:50 am

Not sure if this answers some of your questions, but have a look at this discussion in the Cow;s AE Forum -

"CS3 application don't use Quad core"

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David OwenRe: Matrox workstation only using 2 of 8 cores!! (still struggling & update)
by on Jan 28, 2008 at 2:40:42 pm

Thomas,

Thanks for the link. I forwarded the info to my dealer. I would like to get a definitive word from Adobe on this... Is there a known problem with Premiere CS3 and its use of dual quad core mobos?

From what I saw, the thread you sent seems aimed more at how to maximize what you've got rather than a definitive answer to this question.

- David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas LeongRe: Matrox workstation only using 2 of 8 cores!! (still struggling & update)
by on Jan 28, 2008 at 3:43:13 pm

David,

A definitive answer can only come from Adobe. I don't use Premiere, nor have I tried dual quad cores, so it is only a shot in the dark for me.

Another thread at the same Cow forum on AE concerns Mac's quad cores, and IF the principles are the same or similar, then it could be equally applicable to Premiere in Windows and quad cores -

Multiprocessing with a MacPro in CS3

Thomas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]