Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

clone system drive?

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob Coleclone system drive?
by on Dec 8, 2007 at 12:42:49 pm

As a long-time PC user I was delighted to find that on a Mac I can easily clone the system drive and get a bootable backup. Very handy for security, and for replacing your system drive with a larger one. (Carbon Copy Cloner)

What do you recommend for the PC? I'd really like to be able to make nightly bootable backups of my system drives. That seems like the ultimate plan for being able to stay up and running.

(I own a version of Dantz Retrospect 6.5 but haven't used it for years -- has the latest version become more transparent for non-IT folk to use?)

I searched the forum first, and found a similar question, but no answer.

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: clone system drive?
by on Dec 23, 2007 at 4:48:59 pm

Norton Ghost is the one I always hear about Bob. I've never liked it though. It seems nothing on teh PC side is a easy and cheap as Carbon Copy Cloner on the Mac. If you find something please let me know about it...

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: clone system drive?
by on Dec 24, 2007 at 1:14:48 am

For what it's worth, I used to work in a tradeshow booth with 100 CPUs. (No kidding -- 100 of them.) Every one of them was rewritten every night from a Ghost backup.

During the show, we held classrooms in 2 different locations. Hundreds of students every day, so plenty of nasty things to undo...and every night the computers were all blown out and reloaded with Ghost images.

I'd tell you about the 5 months of road shows that followed, but you get the idea.

Now having said that, I never used Ghost myself, and Norton stuff always makes me a little nervous. It's much much MUCH better on PC than Mac (our boy Peter Norton is all about the PC), but I've had enough trouble with Norton on Macs that I'm still wary.

Okay, true confession: I rarely do backups, so I don't have much experience with any of these, but there are still some clues.

Paragon Software really, really really knows what they're doing, and their stuff is cheap. Paragon Drive Backup does exactly what you're looking for -- incremental updates, bootable disks that include backed-up data, complete disk images for easy transfer to other computers, basic partitioning and more -- supports Vista too, for only $29.95. Free 30-day trial, no limitations. Start here.

Heck, I may buy it myself.

If 30 simoleans is too many, try PC Inspector CloneMaxx. It's free. It's also wicked fast -- over 3GB per second. IDE support only, and NOT an incremental back-up tool. Strictly cloning.

In the typical PC fashion, there are a gajillion of these, but these 2 rise to the top.

Best,
Tim
Creative Cow dude

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ColeThanks
by on Dec 24, 2007 at 2:12:50 am

Thanks Tim.

Bob C

Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: Thanks
by on Dec 24, 2007 at 3:12:20 pm

I should have mentioned that, if you're using Vista, there's a FANTASTIC free utility for doing just this.

And, to any Mac users passing through, works MUCH better than Time Machine, whose problems are well-documented, including at Apple.com. I have no doubt that Apple will fix it...but today, Vista's rules.

tw

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ColeRe: Thanks
by on Dec 24, 2007 at 3:46:05 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I should have mentioned that, if you're using Vista, there's a FANTASTIC free utility for doing just this."

I haven't kept up on the Vista upgrade debate. The last I heard was something about Adobe products didn't play well with Vista. Have I been out of the loop? Is Vista safe for video folks?

Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: Thanks
by on Dec 24, 2007 at 4:06:15 pm

Adobe supported Vista last January. It's Mac OS X LEOPARD that they've not yet added support for. And admittedly, their OS X problems have been much more limited than Leopard's problems for Final Cut Pro.

I'm not kidding. Check the FCP forum if you think I am. This too Apple shall fix of course.

As far as Vista's safety for YOU, you'll first want to use the Vista Upgrade Adviser app at microsoft.com. It checks your hardware, drivers, etc. and gives you a nice picture of what you you should be aware of.

Then swing by the website for your favorite applications for their word on Vista support. Then swing by your favorite Cow forums to see how it's working in practice. :-)

My experience suggests that Vista works spectacularly with systems that are firmly within the range of the specification. There are enormous problems for people who want the latest software with hardware that's not up to the task. Nothing unique to Windows there.

Vista also loves a clean install, as does Mac. Nothing unique there either.

My experience is also that Vista is faster on its fit, and every bit as stable as XP, but I was very conservative about doing my clean install on a fast machine...

...my Apple MacBook Pro, a very nice Windows Vista machine indeed. :-)

A fun if trivial note: a fresh install of Vista took about as much time as the upgrade to Leopard, and both were far, far faster than installing Adobe CS3!

As always, your mileage will vary, but that's how it looks from here.

tw

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave MessingerRe: clone system drive?
by on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:38:57 am

I have used early versions of ghost, but had troubles with newer versions - but I have used Acronis True Image for the last three years with no issues - but I do clone a 160 gig drive to another 160 gig drive.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]