Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

Extract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Colin MaunouryExtract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 3:25:23 pm

Hi,

We had a Blu-Ray made at a lab from an HDCAM Master. I would now like to extract its content in the form of video / audio track, without quality loss (in short, rip it) so that I can create a Blu-Ray authoring with menus, pop-up menus, different audio tracks and subtitle tracks.

Looking at my soft / hardware gear and what's available on the "not too expensive" market, I'm most probably looking at an authoring on Adobe Encore.

I'm on a mac and I have tried to rip the Blu-Ray to .mkv with MakeMKV, convert the audio / video to high quality .mp4 with h264 codec in MPEG Streamclip and then import in Encore, but I feel like there are some losses at each step of this process, starting with some bitrate limitations in MakeMKV.

Any advice / guidance on the process?

on a sidenote, does anyone feel like I do that it is taking a long time for Blu-Ray to really pick up in terms of standard for HD video? There are very little software built to work the format, arguably because it has been conceived as a more protected format than DVD, but still...I feel like it should have become the standard "prosumer" format for 2 or 3 years now.

Thanks for your time,

Colin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas GummRe: Extract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:38:20 pm

Simply demux the original 0000.M2TS file from "BDMVSTREAM"-folder on your disc with TSMuxer 1.10.6!

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
There is a download link for Mac version!

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Extract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 5:35:23 pm

If you want to do this right then you need to hire somone who's done this kind of work before. BD is very strict on its specs and simply demuxing a stream may not cut it. You don't even know what and how the orig stream were encoded? Are they in spec? What encoder? Were multi audio and subs accounted for?

Also Encore is unable to do what your looking for. I
You're looking at at heavy investment in time and money to produce milti audio/subs and pops ups

BD isn't DVD....not by a long shot and those who produce them correctly have unique skills sets you will need to master before moving on.

I'm don't mean to say your unable to do the work or not a Pro.... You obviously are. It's just there are too many people who decide they will authoring a BD with " X Y and Z". And find out later (often when a client is expecting a product) That they are in over their heads

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas GummRe: Extract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:13:31 pm

I agree with Eric in principal,
but the thread starter has just asked for how extracting streams from BluRay for re-using it in Encore to create a new one!
If the picture quality looks good I would give it a try, maybe Encore accept the demuxed elementary streams without re-encoding!
Generally best quality can be archived from file when encoding 2-pass VBR.

I presumed here that BD compliancy is out of question, simply a matter of course! ;)

Cheers

Andreas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Extract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:48:16 pm

Well, his post covered several questions.....not just how to demux a stream.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel LudwigRe: Extract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:07:38 pm

if you would like to demux the disc and do a new authoring on that, I would use TSMuxer, as it would not create valid elementary stream.

larry applegate did a lot research on that and tests with eclipse verifier - they all fail.

I would advice to use EasyBD Pro or better, as it has a complete BD-Reauthor-Function.

http://www.dvd-logic.com/easybd/

ok, it´s PC-soft, but it will create 100% valid streams and could handle all that might be on original BD (except BD-j).

you can try/test the application for about 20days at full function.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: Extract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:04:29 pm

Colin, I'm certainly not an experienced pro when it comes to BD but it occurs to me that maybe you can get hold of the file that the HD tape might be archived to. That way you're going to be in the best position to break it all down to do what you want?

As to your point about the distribution and exhibition of HD material, I'm equally puzzled that BD hasn't become the standard format. Surely few are playing from tape, so it has to be files on drives (best for quality) or BD, the most convenient. Anyone have ideas on this?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:34:18 pm

Ideas on what? What's considered "Standard"?

All films are released on BD and players are cheap. It's fairly simple to put a film on BD. it just get more complicated in the authoring stage than DVD with pop ups and multi ch audio and subs....Thats all

But if the client just needs to proof it or it's a one time looping presentation, then it's probably better just to play the orig file from a HDD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: Extract Audio / Vidéo from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:47:58 pm

Eric, you misunderstood my point to Colin. He wondered why BD was not being embraced by the media world quite in the same way that DVD was. I merely agreed with him.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Extract Audio / Vid���©o from Blu-Ray for Authoring and re-encoding
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:36:52 pm

No I understood.....I just dont agree with either of you :) What Im saying is that BD is fairly standard way to deliver HD today. One offs are simple to deliver, players are cheap and every film is delivered on Blu Ray now.

DVD was such a huge leap from VHS....to see the same acceptance from DVD to BD would be impossible. BD was not meant to replace DVD.

There are so many more variables now: VOD, huge amounts of content, People just not caring about quality perhaps?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]