Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

Video glitches and stutters on those HDTV + DVD player combo set

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bill ChenVideo glitches and stutters on those HDTV + DVD player combo set
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 9:43:14 pm

So I've shot a video for a client and used a basic workflow, FCP>Compressor>DVDSP to build and burn the DVD. It looks good on my DVD player, good on my clients computer monitor but when we try to play it on his HDTV+DVD combo player in his waiting room, it stutters pretty bad and the pixels are goes a bit crazy as if the DVD is scratched.

Prior to trying my DVD, they were playing their own DVD on their combo set just fine, they used a DVD burned on a Maxwell disc, DVD-R. For me, I've used the memorex DVD-R. So here I am trying to figure out the source of this video stuttering problem on my disc. I don't feel that certain brands of blank DVD can remedy this problem but I'll try a Maxwell disc burn anyways. I used DVDSP to burn the DVD, is there a way to burn at a slower speed? Would that help? Any other suggestions would be great, thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Video glitches and stutters on those HDTV + DVD player combo set
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:03:37 pm

Could be 1 oof 3 things.

1. Your bitrate is too high. Best to up the total under 8. use AC3 audio @ .192 and encode around 7 to 7.5 or so.

2. your media is bad

3. your player is faulty

Re-do in that order :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill ChenRe: Video glitches and stutters on those HDTV + DVD player combo set
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:51:22 pm

The media can't be bad if it plays fine on my dvd player right?

Video bitrate is at 6.2 Mbps
Audio is in AC3 format and data rate is 192 kbps. Not quite sure what you mean by encode in 7 to 7.5 for audio, (sorry, still learning)

These settings are directly from compressor's preset, DVD best quality 90min. Average bitrate 6.2 and max bitrate 7.7 with the two pass VBR best mode. I think I'll lower the average/max bitrate a bit to see if it works.

I will only need to play this DVD on that particular TV/DVD player in the clients waiting room, so I'll try as many burn/encode methods as possible and bring them all to try it.

Other things to try out, let me know if you guys have any thoughts
-Build in DVDSP and burn in Toast. That way I can adjust the burn speed.
-Try different brand of DVD disc such as Maxwell

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary MilliganRe: Video glitches and stutters on those HDTV + DVD player combo set
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 7:03:14 pm

[Bill Chen] "The media can't be bad if it plays fine on my dvd player right?"

Wrong. Try using a known better quality media - such as Taiyo Yuden. Please excuse me for being anal about it, but where I'm from, Maxwell makes coffee - Maxell makes discs :-)

[Bill Chen] "Average bitrate 6.2 and max bitrate 7.7 with the two pass VBR best mode. I think I'll lower the average/max bitrate a bit to see if it works."

You should also try setting the bitrate at 6 or7 and use the CBR setting instead. It could be that the DVD player can't handle any spikes in the VBR on the disc.

[Bill Chen] "-Build in DVDSP and burn in Toast. That way I can adjust the burn speed."

That's a good option to try as well. Burning as slow as you can offers more playback compatibility.

HTH
Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Video glitches and stutters on those HDTV + DVD player combo set
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 10:44:10 pm

+1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary MilliganRe: Video glitches and stutters on those HDTV + DVD player combo set
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:00:19 pm

[eric pautsch] "+1"

?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:37:10 pm

It means I agree with you :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:52:53 pm

Thanks guys, I will give it a try and hopefully report back with good news. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:15:25 pm

That's what I like about the COW... I learn something new every day!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 11, 2012 at 4:54:17 am

Eric and Gary, I love you guys man, turned out great, client loves it. As you guys suggested, I narrowed down the problem to the bitrate being too high, 6.2 - 7.0 VBR. Instead, I set it to 6.2 CBR within compressor and it worked perfectly. It wasn't a DVD brand problem as I initially suspected since both Maxell and Memorex worked fine at their office as long as it was set at 6.2 CBR.

I think I'll stick with a CBR when setting up a DVD from now on. Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]