Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

DVD burning constantly failling.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
anna conlonDVD burning constantly failling.
by on Jul 11, 2011 at 10:19:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a wedding videographer and I'm having an issue with burning my DVDs. I use final cut and DVD studio pro and have a g5 and mac book pro. I use compressor to create Dolby Digital Professional 2.0 and MPEG-2 6.2Mbps 2-pass files.

In the past I burned the DVD directly from DVD studio pro but I found that disc's would fail to burn properly and give issue of stalling and skipping. I found a method online which was meant to give more reliable results.

Basically I would use Studio pro and do an advanced burn and build and format on the desk top giving me an .img file. Then using my MAC I would use the disk utility to burn the disc. I would choose the slowest speed possible to burn the DVD as I read that this give more reliable results. This seem to work quite well for me for a while but now I'm back to the old problem of the disk failing and skipping and stalling. The DVD would always give me a burned successfully message. Even though my method hasn't change its no longer a reliable method disc are now failing again one in every two are skipping and stalling despite the burned successfully message.

I'm using Traxdata DVDs x8 as I've also been told this is one of the better quality DVDs out there. I've tried burning at x8 speed and the slowest speed x2 and both give unreliable results. I've tried on two different MACs as I was sure the burner in my old G5 must be broken but my new MAC book pro also gave unreliable results.

I can't watch every DVD that goes out the door as I'll go mad! But I can't risk the reputation of my business on this either. What can I do to make this problem permanently go away. Other videographers must have more reliable methods. If I need to buy a piece of equipment that will guarantee reliable results then I will happily do so. I just don't need this technical issue wrecking my business and reputation. Its very disappointing when you spend ages editing a video to high detail to have it fail on something like this!

HELP

Ana

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

anna conlonRe: DVD burning constantly failling.
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 1:27:32 pm

I though I should give some more detail of my MAC and processes.

Currently I'm using
MacBookPro 4,1
Processor 2.5 GHz
Memory 2 GB

After building my DVD in Studio Pro using Dolby Digital Professional 2.0 and MPEG-2 6.2Mbps 2-pass files, I perform an advance burn and build and format to the desktop. This creates a disk image or DVD.img file which I save to the hard drive. I have tried selecting lossless linking and unselecting this option both creates failed disc's. Once the Master .img file is created I use disk utility to burn the discs. With my MAC book pro I can only select 8x speed. If I select a slower speed the burn will fail. The DVDs I'm using are Traxdata and are DVD-r 8x

I don't have an external burner I use the one built into my MAC
MATSHITA VD-R UJ-867.

I always get a burned successfully message but when I watch the DVDs approx. half stall and freeze and the other half are fine! Why when I use the same process do some DVDs work and others fail? Its so unperdicitable at the moment 1 in 2 are not working. Its driving me crazy.

I'm about to go out to buy an external burner to see if this helps but I have no idea if this will actually help in any way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: DVD burning constantly failling.
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 5:06:00 pm

Anna, as I've just written in another post, I never have this problem with the following workflow:

Export timeline to a QT .mov file, either HD or SD.
Drag the file into BitVice. Settings there allow for 2 passes at your selected average bit rate.
If the file is HD BitVice will downscale (brilliantly) before encoding.
BitVice also now prepares the Dolby ac3 audio file.
Then take the M2V (video) and the ac3 (audio) into Studio Pro for formatting to a .img
Take the .img file into Titanium Toast for burning.

For Blu-Ray discs I merely take the exported .mov (still in HD) to Toast 11 for encoding and burning with a stand alone BD burner.

Never had a failure yet (touching wood) and my discs play everywhere with no stutters.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:10:37 pm

Hi Michael

I haven't heard of BitVice, I currently use compressor to create my MPEGs. But I have obviously heard of toast.... I've downloaded it and I'm going to attempt to burn the DVDs using this instead of the Disc Utility.

If I have a better sauces rate with Toast I'll report back.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:57:13 am

Well I downloaded toast titanium, It appears to have installed correctly and I've burned 6 different disc two different types ritek and Sony. All the disc's gave verified burned successfully but none of the disc would display anything at all in the DVD player.

I'm at a complet loss!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: DVD burning constantly failling.
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:33:26 pm

Anna, I'm afraid I may have confused you. There are two types of disc as you know. DVD's on which you can burn SD video once it has been suitably compressed and encoded by whatever suitable software you decide to use. I use BitVice and into this software I can also feed HD video which it will downscale to SD before encoding. I do not use Toast to encode, only to burn the .img file which I get from feeding the M2V video file and the ac3 audio file into Studio Pro which gives me the .img .

The second type are Blu-Ray discs which are used to burn HD video and which can be played as HD using a Blu-Ray player suitably connected to an HD screen. I encode and burn my Blu-Ray discs using Toast Titanium version 11 Pro using a stand alone BD burner by feeding it the QY .mov HD file I export from my timeline.

I'm sure that there are many other workflows but these work very well for me. Remember that there are two different routes, depending on whether you want DVD (SD) or Blu-Ray (HD.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ana ColaycoRe: DVD burning constantly failling.
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:39:09 am

Hi Michael,

I'm Ana Colayco, I'm new in Creative Cow. I also have a problem creating .img files when I use more than one audio track in DSP (I want to start making multi-language videos). It tells me the muxing bitrate is too high or else the video bitrate is too high. I use min. 6.5 mbps and max 7.5 mbps. Even though I lower these values it still fails for the same reasons. The movie is only 15 min so the size can't be a problem. I export the movie from FCP using Compressor (Best quality MPEG2 file codec). I work with SD files. What could I be doing wrong?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: DVD burning constantly failling.
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:41:58 pm

If you are getting "bitrate too high" errors you are always doing one thing wrong, setting your bitrate too high. It doesn't matter if you have 1 minute or 60 minutes. Your bitrate is a per second thing.

First place to start is audio, audio should always be encoded as ac3, if you try to put 2 streams of PCM (uncompressed) on a track you are way over the bitrate limit. Even with a single stream you are right up against it, bitrates in video can spike and give you the error.

But with a short video like you have here never use VBR, use CBR instead and set it at 7Mbps. Use ac3 audio and you should be fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ana ColaycoRe: DVD burning constantly failling.
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 9:05:50 am

Works like a dream now, thanks! Ana Colayco

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]