Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

Dual Layer vs. Two Single Layer DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Max FancherDual Layer vs. Two Single Layer DVDs
by on May 18, 2010 at 8:48:47 pm

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I searched and couldn't find the answer. I am creating an instructional DVD for a client. We originally were planning on close to three hours of footage on two single-layer discs. We've edited the footage down to now having 1 hour and 45 minutes or so.

I'm trying to determine if there are any disadvantages to going with a dual layer DVD for this project. (assuming i can't fit the 1:45 on one single-layer disc). I've just never done a dual layer before and wasn't sure if there were any advantages to having two discs... seems like it would be less expensive for my client to duplicate the dual layer and also have smaller packaging, etc. Am I missing anything that I should know before going into it?

Thanks,

Max

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Dual Layer vs. Two Single Layer DVDs
by on May 18, 2010 at 9:01:09 pm

First why wouldn't you be able to get the 1:45 to fit on a DVD-5

A DVD-9 is cheaper to replicate then (2) DVD-5s but it is more expensive to duplicate.

When you are replicating there is no disadvantage to a DVD-9 over a DVD-5 as long as it has been authored correctly with a valid layer break.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: Dual Layer vs. Two Single Layer DVDs
by on May 18, 2010 at 10:11:49 pm

Yah- 1:45 is nowhere near what I'd consider 'too much' for a DVD-5. Stick with simple.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Dual Layer vs. Two Single Layer DVDs
by on May 19, 2010 at 7:22:02 pm

I often put 2+ hours on a single 4.7GB DVD, no problem. If you need to figure the encoding bitrate, use 560/minutes and round down a bit, in this case 560/105=5.33, so just encode at CBR 5.2 and use Dolby AC-3 audio and it should all fit just fine and look good as well. I don't know what platform or software you are using, but the above specs will apply to all.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jack meredithRe: Dual Layer vs. Two Single Layer DVDs
by on May 20, 2010 at 6:30:44 pm

Dear all,

sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I am having a bit of a dilemma. Basically I am trying to burn a Dual layer DVD 9 It is a big build and the total capacity is at 8.4 GB just under the maximum allowance. Every time I burn it says that a suitable marker could not be found in the layer break range. Now I have read as much as I can find on this and from what I understand I can create different markers by making a chapter point or even just a marker point. However each time I try to make one of these it is not recognized in the inspector when I select the dual layer point. There are two places you can denote the dual layer point, the first is in the inspector on the right and the second is when you go to burn the disc. In each of these places it will only recognize one place as a dual layer break point, however this point doesn't work, and neither does the automatic option. I feel if I could get it to recognise my chapters I could at least play around and find the right point, but at the moment this is not possible.

Has anybody got any advice, hints or tips? It would be greatly appreciated

Yours gratefully,

Jack

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 20, 2010 at 8:10:21 pm

Hi Jack,

I don't have an answer to your issue, but it would be helpful to post the platform and software being used, then someone familiar with your setup may be able to assist

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2010 at 8:23:44 am

Yeah sure, I am working on dvd studio pro 4 version 4.2.1 working from a mac os x version 10.5.8 with 2 X2.8 GHz Quad core intel xeon processors.

That doesn't mean much to me but hopefully it might help diagnose the problem. Interestingly last night, I finally found a way of getting new chapter markers recognised in the dual layer break point tab, however none of them were eligible e.g. they were all in shadow. I have gone through almost the entire dvd placing chapter markers just to see if one will become eligible, but no luck thus far. I also burned a single layer disc to see how much could go on one disc and then tried to use that point as a place to set my marker, still it won't recognize it.

Help if anyone can

Thanks,

Jack

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2010 at 2:29:05 pm

Hi Jack,

What is the length of your video?

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Dual Layer vs. Two Single Layer DVDs
by on May 21, 2010 at 4:14:42 pm

This is really bad forum etiquette, you started a totally different question on another persons topic, why didn't you just start a topic, or even better do a search for layer break point in this forum.

You need to be putting the chapter markers around the middle of the DVD, you calculate it by run time, but you need to note what order the videos fallen in the VTS folders. Once you have done this you need to do a Build, then you need to start the format and look for valid layer breaks in that dialog box, you can cancel out of that and redefine where you want the layer break once you know the range.

This is one of the features that DVDSP is totally lacking.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 24, 2010 at 11:29:18 am

Apologies for my poor etiquette, I have not used a forum before. Eventually I managed to solve the problem, I had already done what you had suggested Jeff, thanks though, and it seemed not to be working. However I just needed to bring my possible markers closer. Due to the length of the film, there was a very small window, about a minute and a half that was eligible for a dual layer break, so i peppered part of the timeline with 100 markers one every 25 seconds and eventually about four showed up. So in the end all the advice I had read was correct I just didn't think it was working because I put the markers too far apart. There are definitely still strange things in DVD studio pro, like the fact you can set the dual layer point in two separate places and they don't seem to align. Also, there is some inconsistency in which markers are allowed, I could only get ones recognized in the advanced burn/format tab, anywhere else and it just wouldn't let me. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Jack

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]