Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Remote head for jib use

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Todd TerryRemote head for jib use
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:57:06 pm

Hey gang...

I'm looking for a recommendation for a remote head for use on a jib.

Although I've had a jib (Losmany Porta-Jib) for about 15 years, I've never used a remote head on it. That's mostly because our principal camera is a pretty big and heavy beast (rigged out at about 23lbs) and the remote heads that could handle it are the bigger bulkier ones that are also wildly expensive. Our 35mm camera weighs a little less, but not much.

However, this year we're moving to the Canon C300PL as our primary camera, and it's a fraction of the size and weight of the one it is replacing (the body is only 3lbs). So... I can use a remote head with it that is much smaller... and hopefully much more economical.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Remote head for jib use
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:40:27 pm

My standard answer, for those handy with tools and with a DIY aesthetic, is to look over servocity.com They now have several videos demonstrating PTZ rigs

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd TerryRe: Remote head for jib use
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:46:23 pm

I'll give it a look, Mark... but as a general rule I'm now sooooo over building my own gear. I did enough of that in my younger/poorer/more-energetic days.

I'd love to find something off the shelf that's just right. Actually, I'd love to find something I could order today, since we have a shoot that it could definitely be used on a week from tomorrow.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Emre TufekciogluRe: Remote head for jib use
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:22:23 pm

I have not used their products directly but I have heard a lot of friends speaking positively about these guys:

http://www.ezfx.com/products/75

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy DoyleRe: Remote head for jib use
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:33:34 pm

We use a Varizoom. The only time it has give us troubles is when we get close to the rated payload. It says it will support up to 30lbs, but when we get a fully loaded Sony 730 HDCAM on there, the motor slows down and the tilt motion is handicapped. There is also a little sway when we start and stop moving the jib.

Now anytime we've used smaller HDV cameras like the Z5, it's been really nice and we can even do 360ยบ with the tilt control, which of course, you'd never use, but you have to test it out don't you?

Mostly we use in studio with a loaded 730 though.

Jeremy Doyle
http://www.jeremydoyle.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]